Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I think the biggest problem came from ‘When’ the cop pulled the taser. If I was pulled over for speeding and asked to get out of my car to walk back to the cop car along side the cop only to have him tell me to place my hands behind my back I would question him too. I would ask why in the world I would need to put my hands behind my back. The officer never told him he was under arrest, and I see no reason he would believe he was until well AFTER the taser came out. From the video it looks as if the cop had made up his mind about tasering the guy long before there was any reason to. Best case "Put your hands behind your back" should have been followed with reaching for cuffs, not a taser. From the first time he was instructed to place his hands behind his back the cop instantly went for the taser. Then the cop told him to turn over followed by another taser shock within 1 second (I know I can’t turn over that quick, and after being tased I am sure it would be worse).

There is no doubt the guy was being stupid, but the cop went overboard. The only real question would be if the cop was somehow justified in his actions (while clearly in poor judgment). If he was justified then give him a warning and send him on his way; If not then he needs to be treated like any other normal person who committed this act.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
As for signing the ticket there are really only 2 options, neither can be seen on the video:

1. The officer did not properly fill out the ticket and no speed was listed.
-In this case it is reasonable not to sign the ticket until it is filled out properly (but a stubborn cop will still arrest you, you will probably win in court though). The guy was still stupid in the way he acted, but I would not sign a blank ticket either.

2. The ticket was properly filled out and the speed was listed.
-In this case the cop would be more justified in his actions (still over the top). I am convinced there was a clashing of the ego's between the cop and the guy. The cop simply one-upped the pig headed speeder. While a poor judgment call, by the letter of the law he has a good chance of being justified.

If I was in this situation I would have Informed the cop I will sign the ticket if I am allowed to take a picture of it with the camera in my glove box so I have a record for court, then just taken a picture of the blank ticket I signed. Following that I will have subpoenaed EVERYTHING: the dash video, the calibration record, vision record, previous ticket record, any APB’s currently active, his cars maintenance record and tire wear, etc and just fought it in court.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
bane said:
they are still just people who put their pants on one leg at a time.
I put both legs of my pants on at the same time. 8) 8) 8) 8)

I must be above the curve. :wink:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
OR.... you could just not speed, and not worry about any of it. :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.