Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
WOW!

I bet that cop looses his job and the guy that got tased wins his lawsuit! Cop video cams are the best thing to ever happen. I guess the moral of this story is if you get pulled over ALWAYS stay where the dash cam can see you. That cop is going down!

-PW

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Something I noticed as I watched the video and forgot to state, was IMO watching the guy drive by the 40 MPH sign, there is no way he was going much over the speed limit. In fact, I would bet that a good trial attorney would have no problem proving it. If you watch the dashed lines on the road you could time the interval as the guys vehicle passes the dashed lines and you could easily prove his actual speed as he passes the speed limit sign. I'm sure it would be admissable in a court....I obviously don't know how fast the guy was going, but it didn't look aver 40 MPH to me.

-PW

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Is there really a law that says you can be arrested if you refuse to sign a speeding ticket?

After reading all the posts, I think a big part of my opinion now would depend on the answer to this question. I was always under the impression that you did not have to sign the ticket. If you can be arrested for not signing the ticket, then it is a completely different situation, but if that is the case, that is the dumbest law ever. The cop should have explained this to the motorist though.

I still don't think the motorist was being combative. He simply wanted to know how fast he was going and why he was being issued a speeding ticket. The cop never really answered him. And I do think that the proper place to get a fair explanation of how fast you were going and why you were being given a speeding ticket IS on the side of the road. The cop seemed to just get frusturated with the guy asking for an explanation. Yes the motorist did act stupid after he got out of the car, however, I think the cop could have handled the situation much better by giving the motorist an explanation of why he was doing what he was doing. I really think the motorist did just want to know how fast he was going and why he was being arrested.

I also have a hard time believing the argument that the guy was speeding behind the cop and that the cop pulled over to let him pass so he could then pull over the motorist. The icing on the cake to me is the cop LYING to his supervisor. I do have a tremendous amount of respect for LEO's and the job they have to do, however, to me LYING indicates the true character of the cop and is a trait that should not be tolerated among LEO!!!

-PW

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
cjj98xj said:
Being an officer for 14 years, I'd imagine there was previous conflict between the two.
I had heard someone else say that they might have known each other being it happened in small town Utah.

My opinion of the situation is changing after hearing many of your comments. Still not sure exactly what I think now....It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

-PW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.