Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's already been asked, but just a bit of clarification. The missus and I went camping up at East Canyon this weekend, and plastered on the sign at the entry to the campground is a notice that no firearms are allowed. Likewise, in the little pavilion at our site, there was another notice that said no firearms allowed. So...it's my understanding that this isn't legal (I still carried all weekend). Can someone knowledgeable about the code confim my suspicion before I contact DNR about it?

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
It's possible that it's an old sign and has not been updated. But it should be.

I believe this is the law that you are looking for.

http://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title53/Chapte ... 0118000101

53-5a-102. Uniform firearm laws.
(1) The individual right to keep and bear arms being a constitutionally protected right under Article I, Section 6 of the Utah Constitution, the Legislature finds the need to provide uniform civil and criminal firearm laws throughout the state.
(2) Except as specifically provided by state law, a local authority or state entity may not:
(a) prohibit an individual from owning, possessing, purchasing, selling, transferring, transporting, or keeping a firearm at the individual's place of residence, property, business, or in any vehicle lawfully in the individual's possession or lawfully under the individual's control; or
(b) require an individual to have a permit or license to purchase, own, possess, transport, or keep a firearm.
(3) In conjunction with Title 76, Chapter 10, Part 5, Weapons, this section is uniformly applicable throughout this state and in all its political subdivisions and municipalities.
(4) All authority to regulate firearms is reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities.
(5) Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact, establish, or enforce any ordinance, regulation, rule, or policy pertaining to firearms that in any way inhibits or restricts the possession or use of firearms on either public or private property.
(6) As used in this section:
(a) "firearm" has the same meaning as defined in Section 76-10-501; and
(b) "local authority or state entity" includes public school districts, public schools, and state institutions of higher education.
(7) Nothing in this section restricts or expands private property rights.

Amended by Chapter 278, 2013 General Session
Sent from iSnurd

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I've emailed DNR about it. Will be anxious to see what they say.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
steelhawk said:
The next question would be: how to get the sign removed.
One way is for a good citizen to yank it off its mount.

Sarcasm, dont vandalize property!

You don't need to know what kind of device or tool was used to send this

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the question has been kicked to the manager at East Canyon...

Richard,

I have forwarded your message on to the Park Manager for comment. I felt that he should be the one to answer since the notices are in the park.

Thank you
Sherri

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, that was easy. May have to make a trip up there in a little bit to see if it's been taken care of.

Hi this is Chris at East Canyon State Park. Thanks for letting us know about the incorrect signage. We are well aware of the change in the park rule, we just missed those signs. Thanks for the information and we will get those signs updated.
Chris

--

Chris Haramoto
Park Manger
East Canyon State Park

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Only question is how old were the signs. This isn't exactly a new change in the law.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts