Utah Guns Forum banner

What Gun to carry

5K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  LSLD 
#1 ·
I am sure this has been asked several times, and there are several answers, but what would be a good weapon to carry? I would like a 9mm and would like it to be compact/sub-compact and also inexpensive. What makes and models would you suggest?

#4 ·
The problem you will run into is that inexpensive and "reliable" seldom go hand-in-hand. Look for a good used Glock 26 or 19, both 9mm, or a used XD. These are both fine pistols and are very reliable. you should be able to pick these up for around $400 on KSL. I know price is always a determining factor but saving money will be of little importance the one time you need it to go bang and it doesnt, ya know? Get a Glock, you wont regret it. :shades:

#5 ·
Go back and search through old posts. This topic has been absolutely beat to death in other threads. It is way too general of a question to produce much in the way of a good response. If you can tell us what you are thinking you want, how you think you will carry it, give us something to go on, then we can probably give you some better advice.

IMO, if all you want is inexpensive, look at the KelTecs. Great guns for the price....

#7 ·
Go to http://www.gssfonline.com/ and spend $35 to become a GSSF member. Have them send you the certificate for the special discount on a Glock for GSSF members. Take your certificate over to Barlow's Custom Guns and pick up a Glock 19 or 26 for $395 (before taxes).

Not the quickest way to get a new gun, but it the cheapest way to get a Glock that I know of.

#10 ·
Shaolin said:
I also would endorse the XD SubCompact 9mm.
Me too. It's my carry

The only downside to it, IMO, is that it's a bit thick for some concealment options. Probably an issue with all double-stacks.

#11 ·
swillden said:
The only downside to it, IMO, is that it's a bit thick for some concealment options. Probably an issue with all double-stacks.
If you're looking at thin in a decent caliber (9mm+) I would start with Kahr. Kel-Tec makes a 9mm, which I have heard some people like, but you can get 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP from Kahr. All their pistols are designed from the ground up to be used for concealed carry. Their smallest pistol is only 0.90 inches thick!!

#13 ·
T-Man said:
Got a pocket pistol that won't print in my biker shorts? I want something with at least 16 rounds of .45 ACP.
So true, so true. Many people don't realize how personal sidearm selection is. There are so many factors to consider (price, caliber, size, capacity, barrel length, accuracy, comfort, usability, maintenance, simplicity - revolver or semi-auto, etc) that asking "What gun should I buy?" just lends itself to answers based on personal opinion and experience. While these opinions are valuable, they are not an answer to such a personal question.

A better option is to go to the store, lay out your requirements in order of priority. Look at, hold and manipulate many sidearms and see which ones you like the most. Attempt to conceal it, try to find holsters that are made for it, even try to rent one and shoot it. Then come here and ask about the few models you have narrowed your search down to - then the opinions and experience will mean something and may be a deciding factor for your purchase.

Don't buy a sidearm on someone else's opinion, you will most likely find that you would rather have something else down the road. Take a moment, do your research and try a few out - it will save you lots of money in the end and will likely result in a purchase you will be happy with for years to come.

#15 ·
T-Man wrote:
Got a pocket pistol that won't print in my biker shorts? I want something with at least 16 rounds of .45 ACP.

I supose you could cough up $3800 and conceal a MAC! :ROFL:

#16 ·
GeneticsDave said:
T-Man said:
So true, so true. Many people don't realize how personal sidearm selection is. There are so many factors to consider (price, caliber, size, capacity, barrel length, accuracy, comfort, usability, maintenance, simplicity - revolver or semi-auto, etc) that asking "What gun should I buy?" just lends itself to answers based on personal opinion and experience. While these opinions are valuable, they are not an answer to such a personal question.

A better option is to go to the store, lay out your requirements in order of priority. Look at, hold and manipulate many sidearms and see which ones you like the most. Attempt to conceal it, try to find holsters that are made for it, even try to rent one and shoot it. Then come here and ask about the few models you have narrowed your search down to - then the opinions and experience will mean something and may be a deciding factor for your purchase.

Don't buy a sidearm on someone else's opinion, you will most likely find that you would rather have something else down the road. Take a moment, do your research and try a few out - it will save you lots of money in the end and will likely result in a purchase you will be happy with for years to come.
Excellent advise Dave!! :D

Rick

#17 ·
At Doug's Shootin Sports, you can rent guns to try them. Then they'll subtract the rental fee and range fee from the price of the gun if you buy one within 2 weeks.

#18 ·
This is an intensely personal choice. For many years I've carried medium and full size Glocks. Currently my choice is S&W M and P's in 45 and 40. Made a mistake last week and took out my 1911. It just felt so darn good, now I just gotta a have a compact Kimber.
Carry what you feel comfortable with and are proficient with, then practice, practice, practice.

#20 ·
davis_b_1 said:
Well I finally got around to buying a gun, I bought the Ruger LCP, and am taking a CCW class on Tuesday. Then I will wait my two months and then I will gladley join the ranks of a CCP holder & carrier :dancing:
You ought to post a range report after sending some lead downrange with your LCP.
I think that a lot of Kel-Tec owners are intrigued by the LCP, myself included.

#24 ·
My recommendation would be a loaded XD 40 SC :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.