Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Yes, SB-24 died. It didn't even get a chance for a House vote. Maybe we may be able to get it to go through next year without all the changes & gutting that appear to have been istilled upon it.
Cinhil

·
Registered
101 Posts
The 2 things that would have been gained from SB 24 this year is that we would have been able to place firearms into a glove box or consol, and that we would be able to legally conceal a firearm in our homes.

Both of these are of course assuming you do not have a permit.

Don't worry too much as it may come back in the special session. We'll see what happens.
Wait till next year as there will be some fireworks to be sure when we go head to head with the private property rights coalition regarding carry in parking lots.

They have told me they are planning an assault against our legislation in the form of an affirmative declaration stating, in short, that if they put up a sign banning weapons that it will have the effect of law.

·
Registered
65 Posts
W. Clark Aposhian said:
...and that we would be able to legally conceal a firearm in our homes.
I thought this was already the case, regardless of having a concealed firearm permit. 76-10-504 specifically exempts anybody who is carrying concealed at "his residence, property, or business under his control" from the law prohibiting concealment. What could SB-24 have changed regarding this issue?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Please take a very close look at that section,

(a) a person who carries a concealed dangerous weapon,…, which is not a firearm on his person or one that is readily accessible for immediate use which is not securely encased, as defined in this part, in a place other than his residence, property, or business under his control is guilty of a class B misdemeanor; and
(b) a person without a valid concealed firearm permit who carries a concealed dangerous weapon which is a firearm and that contains no ammunition is guilty of a class B misdemeanor, but if the firearm contains ammunition the person is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.

·
Registered
65 Posts
W. Clark Aposhian said:
Please take a very close look at that section
Ahh, ok, thanks Clark. For some reason, I glossed over the part stating "which is not a firearm." 76-10-511 allows you to possess a loaded weapon in your home, but 76-10-504 omits any language allowing you to conceal it. I can't believe I never realized that before, and I think a lot of other people are under the same misconception.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You are correct. I remember in committee meetings regarding this that most legislators, the cops and even some in legislative research were amazed that they had missed this too.
Clark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.