Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so instead of cleaning my house today, I surfed this site some, :wink: okay, maybe alot! I came across this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2435 where PW was "disarmed nicely" for a traffic stop.

I know that the guys have talked about this before, but it is different for us ladies. Especially if you carry other then on the hip. :oops:

Do you know what you will do if you are pulled over while you are carrying? :dunno:

I have talked it over with Marshall and decided that if it happens to me, I will have my DL and CCP out before the LEO (as the guys say) gets to the car.

Then, if he asks if I am carrying, I will answer yes. If he asks me to step out/disarm me, I will say, "I would be happy to comply with you, and I respectfully ask for a female officer to do it." All the while, being polite and keeping my hands where he can see them. That way he feels comfortable and trusts that I am compliant.

Truly, I think that the LEO's won't be as hard on us ladies as they are on the guys, but you never know.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think that would be an entirely appropriate response.

Personally, the 2 times I've been carrying (in my purse) when I've been pulled over, the cop didn't ask me to step out of the car. They were both actually very cool about the whole thing. My husband, who gets pulled over a lot more than me and carries ALL the time has never been asked to step out of the car, either.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is good to know that most of the time you are not asked to step out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
TriciaDodge said:
Okay, so instead of cleaning my house today, I surfed this site some, :wink: okay, maybe alot!
Story of my life! I really need to get all the laundry done!

Here are some of the quotes from the thread that you posted that I wanted to comment here on.

swillden said:
mchlwise said:
Sounds like it was handled in the best way possible by all involved.
Well, almost. The best POSSIBLE way is for the officer to say "Thanks for telling me, please just leave the gun right where it is, and keep your hands in view."

Well, either that or "Really? Cool... what do you carry? XD45 compact? I've heard a lot of good things about that gun, I own mostly Glocks, but I've been thinking about trying an XD. I saw some pictures of the new XD-M on the internet the other day, what an awesome-looking gun..." (ten minutes of pleasant gun chat pass) "Well, it was nice to meet you. Maybe I'll see you at the range sometime? Oh, and by the way, the speed limit here is 25 so keep it down, huh?"

;)
I love this! It would be my idea of a totally Ideal encounter with an LEO!

~~~~~~~~~

swillden said:
I've often wondered how it would go if the officer wanted to disarm me and I were carrying with my SmartCarry...

I'd really rather he didn't reach down the front of my pants. And he'd probably rather not, either.
For this very reason I agree with asking if a female LEO can be called to disarm me...that being more of an inconvenience he might just say, "Nevermind. Just keep your hands where I can see them." I agree with the less my gun is handled the less the chance of an accidental discharge. As a lady I'm a little leary of using the smart carry because I don't want the appearance of a package in that area. If I was a guy maybe it would be an enhancer :lolbang: ...but in this type of situation I would want to have my gun in a personal area of my body...maybe a thigh or garter holster if I can't get comfortable with smart carry.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It is a law that if you get pulled over and you have a permit you have to show your permit first thing. Because it will pull up on the computer and if you don't have it and are carrying you can get in big trouble! Correct me if this is not entirely right. The one thing I do know is that you do have to show your permit first thing! I also completely agree with tricia and what she said about asking for a female. There was a discussion on here or OC that talked about this exact thing a while back.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My husband and I got pulled over a couple of months ago, both of us were carrying, and the officer was really nice about it. He asked for DL and registration and my ID and permit were in my purse with my gun so I let him know that and he said just to leave them where they were and he just wrote down my information and ran it on his computer. He just asked us to keep our hands on the dash where he could see them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
What I said earlier, isn't the case anymore. Genetics Dave corrected me - It seems that this may no longer be the case. Check out this thread. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3073

·
Registered
78 Posts
ok, just popping in for some comfort zone read and decided to add my own accnts.
1. I asked Mr Aposhian while he was at FBGS if I had to have my carry permit on me at all times or if it was like the Drivers License and I have to be able to produce it? Since there are times I am carrying without my purse. He told me no, but I would have to be in the Computer and they would run it for sure. So I carry without my wallet sometimes.
2. I have been pulled over and asked to step out and get into the patrol car. I refused and I got a whopping ticket for failure to comply with an officer. It was almost midnight (had my robe on) and the mechanic didn't plug in the tail lights that morning when he was done. Which is why I was pulled over to begin with. Never once was my carry permit even addressed beyond that I had one. He didn't ask me if I had it or anything. I fought the ticket, based on safety concerns and him being alone and so was I. The judge threw out both fines since I could produce the proof that I had the truck into a shop that day. And as for the police asking me to get out of my truck, he told me that was the law, HOWEVER in the future to ask the officer if he is threatened by me in anyway to please call for backup. Thank goodness I haven't (knock on wood) had the opportunity to do the West Valley spread since.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got this PM from Mazellan...good to know...

Hey I was just reading your post about being a female and being pulled over and disarmed. I am a law student due to graduate next week and in Utah there is not law or distinction about a male officer searching a female suspect. I am not saying that if they don't have one on duty they will not have them come and do the search but most departments do not have many female officers and if they do they are 1 or 2 and not on duty 24/7. I am only sending this to you because I can't post in the female forum. I just thought you might want to know that the law doesn't separate the genders when it comes to officers searching. That also goes for female officers searching a male suspect. Just thought you might want to know. Let me know if you have any questions. I am going in to law enforcement and unless the person I pull over has a permit suspended I doubt I would disarm them or unless I had a bad feeling about them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts