Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
5,591 Posts
I believe that Kentucky decided to change their state constitution to say that the right to keep and bear arms would not be infringed, but that this did not justify the carrying of weapons concealed. This was after the Kentucky Supreme Court overturned a conviction because of the state constitution. I guess that they wanted people to carry openly.

A little searching turned up the following:

Kentucky Bill of Rights : Section 1
Seventh: The right to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the State, subject to the power of the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent persons from carrying concealed weapons.
Attorney General Opinion:
The case of Bliss v. Commonwealth, 12 Ky. 90 (1822) led to the addition of language in the 1850 Kentucky Constitution which expressly permits the General Assembly to enact laws to prevent the carrying of concealed weapons. This language was retained when the present Kentucky Constitution was ratified.
Notice that this change was made in 1850.

I think that it was because of that case that many other states also put in a qualifier in their respective states' constitutions. For example, the Utah Constitution has a qualifier:
Article I, Section 6. [Right to bear arms.]
The individual right of the people to keep and bear arms for security and defense of self, family, others, property, or the state, as well as for other lawful purposes shall not be infringed; but nothing herein shall prevent the Legislature from defining the lawful use of arms.
(emphasis added)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.