Utah Guns Forum banner

Where to find cardboard boxes?

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  bane 
G
#1 ·
I've finally entered the ranks of people who will no longer rent from a single, private landlord but instead, will rent from two landlords: The state and the bank. They mistakenly call such people: Homeowners.

I'm going to be moving this week and need to get as many boxes as possible.

Where's the best place to find boxes in the Utah Valley area?

#2 ·
You can usually get free boxes from liquor stores and other business that get large shipments of merchandise frequently. You can also buy boxes from places that rent moving trucks.

#3 ·
You can also check the hospital loading docks, just call the hospital, ask for the shipping/receiving department. Tell them you are moving and were wondering if they had any extra boxes... they will usually put a HUGE pile out on the dock for free (saves them the hassle of throwing them away).

Give Utah Valley Regional Medical Center a call: 801-357-2340 (shipping and receiving, found it for ya)

#5 ·
I have found that most grocery stores (and sometimes large pet stores) are also really good sources of boxes... but you *HAVE* to show up very early or else they'll be all gone. It's best to also go to your local stores ahead of time and find out what day/time they put them out... some will put them out right in front of the store very early in the morning only 1 day/week. The pickings are usually good, but only if you find out first when to show up.

#6 ·
My best results have always been liquor stores because they get lots of boxes frequently, and they are reinforced to carry heavy bottles, so you know they won't break when you're carrying them. Some people may not like the idea of carrying box after box of Jack Daniels into their house, but I never let that bother me.

G
#7 ·
hawkwing said:
Some people may not like the idea of carrying box after box of Jack Daniels into their house, but I never let that bother me.
Doesn't bother me, either. But my wife's putting up a big stink about the idea. "I don't want my DVD's smelling like hooch!"

Besides, it'd make an awesome story to tell.

"My quorum president came over to help me move. When he saw the boxes, he ran away screaming."

#8 ·
Ishpeck said:
hawkwing said:
Some people may not like the idea of carrying box after box of Jack Daniels into their house, but I never let that bother me.
Doesn't bother me, either. But my wife's putting up a big stink about the idea. "I don't want my DVD's smelling like hooch!"
Unless every box suffers a leaking/broken bottle, I would tend to think the boxes don't usually smell like booze.

#9 ·
bane said:
Unless every box suffers a leaking/broken bottle, I would tend to think the boxes don't usually smell like booze.
I have used liquor boxes before without a problem.

One thing I have always tried to do when moving is keep the boxes as close to the same size as possible. It makes it much easier for stacking in the truck or storage.

#10 ·
Ishpeck said:
"My quorum president came over to help me move. When he saw the boxes, he ran away screaming."
It should go like this - "My quorum president came over to help me move. When he saw the gun on my hip and the small arsenal in the moving truck, he ran away screaming." :nilly:

Actually, I think this is pretty much how it happened with Jeff Johnson.

I just finished a 3 year stint as quorum president - you sure can learn a lot about somebody moving all of their belongings. :raisedbrow:

#12 ·
I'm getting all my boxes from the IRS.

My brother-in-law works in their mail room and he brings me 40-50 boxes whenever I ask. I don't think it's an option for everyone, but I had to bring it up because I like the idea of GETTING something from the IRS, even if it's just a few hundred lousy boxes.

#13 ·
swillden said:

My brother-in-law works in their mail room and he brings me 40-50 boxes whenever I ask. I don't think it's an option for everyone, but I had to bring it up because I like the idea of GETTING something from the IRS, even if it's just a few hundred lousy boxes.
As someone that helps fund the budget of the IRS I would like to tell you, your welcome. :p

#14 ·
Carpet475 said:
swillden said:

As someone that helps fund the budget of the IRS I would like to tell you, your welcome. :p
Oh, I'm sure I've paid for every single one of these boxes many thousands of times over all by myself... :D

#15 ·
A great way to find boxes is to ask anyone that you know who has moved recently if they saved thiers. I know we kept about 50 after we moved and finally ended up throwing them away ( after 3 years of sitting in our basement!) Good luck and Congrats on the new home! It's an awsome thing to get the statement each month and see the balance going down and know that you are not just paying someone else's mortgage!!! :party3:

#16 ·
swillden said:
Carpet475 said:
swillden said:

Oh, I'm sure I've paid for every single one of these boxes many thousands of times over all by myself... :D
That's where you would be wrong my friend... I'm pretty sure that ownership of those boxes is much the same as ownership of the common property of a condo... in other words, you only own 1/301,139,947th of each of those boxes!!! :lolbang:

#17 ·
swillden said:
Carpet475 said:
swillden said:

:ROFL: :lolbang: :lol3:

aint it true!

#19 ·
Ishpeck,

I have the best solution to this. If you go to the classified section on KSL.com under the free section people are giving away all of their moving boxes all the time. You just have to schedule a time with them and pick them up. Things go fast on ksl.com so I would call as soon as you see the add for them.

#20 ·
Super Daisy said:
Ishpeck,

I have the best solution to this. If you go to the classified section on KSL.com under the free section people are giving away all of their moving boxes all the time. You just have to schedule a time with them and pick them up. Things go fast on ksl.com so I would call as soon as you see the add for them.
But please don't call after 9:30/10pm... I *HATE* that and am always tempted to arrange a meeting the next day only to give the product to someone else and conveniently not be home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.