Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ladies,

I thought this might be a good topic for us to kind of find out each persons background with guns. So, my questions are how did you get into guns? Did you grow up with them? What made you decide to carry concealed?

I never touched a gun until a couple of years ago. My Dad had a shotgun or a rifle a long time ago and I only saw it once or twice. He had inherited it from his father and I saw it in the basement once but I don't remember him ever doing anything with it and I don't remember ever seeing it again.
After that I only thought of guns when I saw them on the news and that was always bad. So, when Bill Clinton was trying to get guns banned I was starting to thinking that it was a good idea. My husband was the first person to explain to me why we should guns should be legal.

When my husband was in the military he took me shooting a few times and he talked about getting a hand gun. I thought he was crazy and that wasn't going to happen in our house.

Last year he started talking about them again and he so he ended up buying a gun. I was all that thrilled about it especially when he when he wanted to carry concealed. He asked me to go to the class with him. When I was in the class I realized an instance I had at work a little while back was a perfect example to carry a gun on you. That's when I finally realized that it's not crazy and overboard to carry a gun. It's smart.
I told my story before on this forum so I will keep it short. I was corned by a drunk guy that came into my office when everyone else was outside smoking. I was semi-yelling at him to leave and just before he started coming around my desk to me he stopped and turned around and left. I got lucky.
I don't ever want to be so helpless again.

I'm curious to here other women's stories.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I grew up completely apathetic about guns. They were not a part of my life, and I wasn't aware of many people who had them. I grew up in a small town in Southern Utah. I'm sure there were many families with guns as there were a lot of ranchers, but it just wasn't something that was in my consciousness. Of course, I knew "guns killed people," which I would now phrase as: "People often use guns to kill people."

When my now husband and I were engaged, we got onto the subject of guns and I said something to the effect of, "I guess I would be okay with having a gun or 2 in the house." Shane snorted and said, "A gun or 2? I have more than that in my truck right now!" :shocked: That was the first time I began to realize what I was getting myself into. :lol3:

A month or so before we got married (10 years ago), I was at his apartment sitting on the couch, and he brought out his Colt .357 revolver and set it on my lap. I absolutely froze. I couldn't move, I couldn't bring myself to touch it, I could barely look at it. My reaction took me a little by surprise because I really had no reason to have that reaction, but I couldn't help myself. Shane was very gentle and let me finally reach out and touch it when I was ready. I did so, and even picked it up, and then he showed me how it works, opening the cylinder, etc.

A little while after that, he took me out and we shot his .22 rifles. When I was comfortable with that, he let me shoot some .38s from that Colt revolver, and then some .357s. It wasn't so bad! It could even be fun!

For his wedding gift to me, he bought me a Kahr Lady K9. He was in school when we got married, and for one of his classes, he did a paper about concealed carry laws, statistics, etc. As his personal secretary/editor ( :lol: ), I read the paper and found it quite convincing. We talked about getting our permits and took the class. I never carried much since I got pregnant with our first soon after we got married and it just wasn't comfortable, but I liked having the permit in case I wanted to carry, and just as a statement of exercising my constitutional right.

For our first anniversary, he took me and let me pick out a rifle - a Rossi .357 lever action, all stainless with a wood stock. I call it my "little cowgirl gun." :D

About 5 years ago, Shane surprised me with my first shotgun - Beretta 391 Urika youth model. That same year, I went to a BOW event and learned some basics of skeet shooting with the gun. I had fun, and thought I could maybe get into that, but with 4 kids ages 5 and under, working from home nearly full time, and going to school part time, there was just no time to do anything more with it.

The next year, I went to my first WITO event down in Spanish Fork. I signed up for the shotgunning class and took my shotgun with me. It was a lot of fun. Later that year, I was invited to a ladies' only trap shoot at the Spanish Fork gun club and had a ball.

I went to another WITO event last year and took the shotgunning class again. One day in August, I got up the nerve to go to Magna gun club myself to shoot some trap. I even got up the nerve to ask about leagues! That is SOOOOOOO not like me; I've always been a coward about trying new things, and especially trying them on my own. Just my luck, they were starting a new leauge that next Thursday. So I signed up. My scores were abysmal (10/25 on average), but I was having so much fun!

Anyway... long story short, I've been shooting leagues basically ever since and my average has doubled in that time. I've also been pheasant hunting 3 times and have 2 hunts already planned for this next season.

So shotgunning is my true love when it comes to guns, but I also still love to go out and shoot my pistol when I get a chance. I've never had an experience that has driven home for me the importance of carrying, though I've heard enough stories like Super Daisy's to convince me that it's a good idea. Mostly, though, I feel the need to exercise and, thereby, protect my rights.

Okay, that's my novel. :oops: :wink:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was always around guns growing up. I don't even remember the first time I shot one they have just always been there. We camp a lot and my father always had a loaded .44 Mag under his pillow or by the door of the camper for protection. He always made sure we knew where it was and that we knew it was loaded. My brother and I grew up shooting BB guns and .22 rifles. I think I always liked shooting because I was a better shot than my brother. :lol2: As soon as I was old enough my parents put me into hunters safety and I went on my first deer hunt the year I turned 13. I use my dad's remington .25-06 and I love it. I shot my first deer when I was 17, a 4 by 5!!

I didn't really get into handguns much until I was engaged to my husband. I think the biggest thing that influenced me was Trolley Square. I had always heard of shootings before but I never really thought it would happen to me or even that close to me. Trolley Square hit home so much because it was so close. Hearing the stories of people having to hide in closets and had no way to defend themselves while this guy was just shooting everyone in his path made me decide that I didn't ever want to be in that situation. I hate feeling helpless and so I decided that I was going to do everything in my power to be able to defend myself should the situation arise. My father was the first one in my family to get his concealed permit and then three months after I turned 21 my husband, my aunt, my uncle, and I took a concealed carry class to get our permits. I feel so much more secure now that I have the means to defend myself and my family. So the main reason I got it was for protection but now that the presidential election is coming up (this is the first one that I can vote in) it is becoming more political for me now too.

I actually work with one of the victims of Trolley Square now and everytime I see him it reminds me of why I have a permit and how important it is to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maggie Mae,

Have you ever talked with the Trolley Square survivor about guns? If so, what does he/she think of guns and carrying?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I haven't talked to him about it. I'm a little bit scared to bring it up. He was shot in the head and his father was killed so I don't want to bring it up if he isn't ready to talk about it. I would like to know though. And he is still under 21 so I don't know how much he has gotten into the issue of concealed carry. I would think that he would have an opinion because of what he went through but he may not. I'll definately let you know what his stance is once I talk to him.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I grew up in British Columbia, and my Dad was an avid hunter, so there were always rifles in the house. Generally he kept them in his closet, but we ( 7 of us ) knew that they were there, and there was no mystery about them, so there was no inclination to play with them. I asked for, and got a .22 on my 13th birthday. Handguns are largely taboo in Canada, so I had never seen a real one, till I came down here. I was about 15, and we had moved to Washington state, and a friend of the family invited my Dad out to shoot. He had several revolvers, and when they went off, there was a burst of flame from the muzzle. I remember thinking how cool that was, but I didnt get my first gun till after I got married, a s and w 9mm. I had it for a while, but did not like it very much. The next was a bersa .380, and it was a good little gun, but not big enough. My now husband (ammo) bought me my glock 23 that I like very much. He also bought me a .308 for hunting that I like very much. and I have tried several other of his rifles and like most of them.

Why do I carry? lots of reasons. I wont be a helpless victim, I wont stand by and let anything happen to my family... ammo just walked up behind me and told me how sweet I was

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
This is a great idea Super Daisy!

Why guns? :dunno: I really can't remember all the details, but Marshall helped me out. You see, he is the one that introduced me to guns when we were teenagers. He said that he remembered asking me to shoot a 22 rifle and I gave him a very scared and confused look. But, I trusted him and I shot it.

Then slowly, over the years of dating him, he got more guns and went shooting. I would tag along and since he is such a great teacher, it just became natural to have guns around. I didn't have a problem with him having them in the house, but I never had my own or would consider carrying.

When our boys turned 3, they started on a Chipmunk 22. He had already been teaching them the respect for guns, so they were a natural. (Truth be told, my kids already have a few of their own! :crown: And they can conduct themselves quite nicely at the range. :D ) But that is another subject.

About 5 years ago, Marshall got his CCP in Colorado. I just "let him take care of me" and didn't even consider getting one myself. (It was alot tougher and alot more money in Colorado too.)

So, earlier this year, he said to me, "I am going to a class for my CCP. Do you want to come along?" Thinking, at least it is kinda like a date :heartbeat: , I said sure. Not really thinking I would carry very often. But then he introduced me to this site and I meet alot of people and had more discussion on the subject.

Now, I like to carry. Some people have said that is gives them a sense of power. For me, it is more a sense of comfort. Knowing that if I need to protect myself or kids, I can. :bat:

I am becoming more bold about my new status to other people. And I worry less about "printing" as people really don't pay attention like we think they do. But I will carry alot more when it is cooler and we wear more clothes! Since my preferred method of carry is outside the waistband, sundresses and a holster don't together very well! :thumbdn: But that is another subject we already covered...

·
Registered
389 Posts
well I grew up around guns like a few of you. It was always the norm around my house and my parents taught me from an early age all about them, the rules, etc. I first shot BB guns, then .22's then went up from there. My father was chief of police when I was around 5 and my mother was a police officer around the age of 12. Anywho I love em and wouldn't be without em! You could say they are part of the family! :crown: :thumbsup: Even our daughter knows about them and she loves to shoot her .22 cricket we got for her when she was a year old. I know she couldn't shoot it then, we were just soo excited about getting her her own gun. Depending on the time of year I OC and conceal. I never go without it unless its a place I legally can't be with it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I answered this question when I first joined the forum so I'm just copying and pasting from my introduction post :crown: ...

Queen Kat said:
GeneticsDave said:
I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing why you decided to get your CFP. It sounds as though it might have something to do with your family. Also, does your husband, Herb, carry?
In all honesty I had an unrealistic fear of guns. I decided to familiarize myself with firearms to overcome my fear. The more information I took in, the more I overcame my fear. I also developed a strong support for 2nd Amendment Rights.

My hubby is still uncomfortable with guns...I carry the thunder in this family! LOL! More recently, I've been helping him overcome his fear. He's actually expressed interest in doing some weapons training and eventually getting his CFP.

Today my biggest reason for carrying is my kids. As a mother, I could never live with myself if I failed to protect my family from harm. One of the best things I have going for me is the element of surprise. A criminal doesn't suspect a mom to be packing and that's the biggest mistake they make...assumptions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Super Daisy said:
Maggie Mae,

Have you ever talked with the Trolley Square survivor about guns? If so, what does he/she think of guns and carrying?
So I finally got up the nerve and talked him! As I thought he didn't really have an opinion, he had to think about it for a minute. lol! He finally decided that concealed carrying and guns were a good thing. He said that there was a guy in the restraunt that had a gun and he would hate to think of how many other people would've been hurt if the guy didn't have his gun. He didn't elaborate as to what happened and I didn't want to push. I'm glad that I finally asked him.

·
Registered
304 Posts
OMG Maggie Mae! U R My Hero! I don't know if I would have ever had the courage to ask. Thanks for sharing with us!

G

·
Hello, This is my first post and I just barely took the CFP class. I have not yet mailed in my paperwork. My husband is on the main forums, Ty.

My family was never anti gun but we never had guns in the house and I don't think my mother has ever touched one. This is funny because my father was in the military for 40 some odd years. The only guns we had were BB guns and they stayed up at our cabin.

My introduction to guns came with my marriage to Ty who came from a big gun family. At first I was nervous, I had never touched one but I was also curious and felt okay shooting it at the range. When we were first married my husband only had a pistol in the house but as the years have gone on, we have accumulated quite a few. We just bought my first gun this week as well, a Kahr CW9. It is very cute and I love to shoot it.

The conceal and carry class was wonderful. The instructor had some great experiences and really useful information. It was not what I expected. I thought I would be bored but those four hours flew by. My mother almost had a heart attack when she heard I was taking the class.

The reason I will carry is mainly for safety. I have always been a fighter but I also realized that most attackers would be able to easily overpower me and I needed a little extra help. I like the feeling of exercising my constitutional rights on a daily basis. I have not decided if I will carry all the time, but at least now I have the option.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I grew up in a home where guns were only used for hunting. :fudd: The only time they came out was when the boys were getting ready to go kill some poor animal that would later be hanging. upside-down, in the garage! As soon as they were cleaned, they were stashed away again in the canoe that was hanging high up in garage. So, I didn't have any experience or desire to shoot. However, as we all got older, a new family tradition was started where all the boys would go shoot targets and clays on Thanksgiving :eating: while the women stayed home and talked or finished the preparations for the big meal. Anyhoo, being a tomboy, I didn't want to stay home with the women and ended up joining the guys. It took a couple years before I was brave enough to try the .22s, then finally had a go with the shotguns. After being knocked down from the kick, I decided that guns were just not for me. :violin:

Fast forward a few years to the part when my husband(dustin wj) comes in the picture :love: We went on a couple dates where we shot .22s,he shot his 30 ott 6 (I probably butchered that!!) but it was too noisy for me! Lots of fun, but I still was/am a bit nervous about guns.

Fast forward some more.... We are married for about 4 years and I am 6 months preg with baby #2. Dustin tells me he wants to buy a handgun and wants me to go to the concealed carry class with him. Remember, I am prego and a bit emotionally unstable and I kind of spazzed out at him (okay, not kind of) I just was not comfortable having hand guns in the house while we had small kids. We did end up taking the class together and I admit, I was surprised at how much I learned and how ignorant my views against guns were. Dustin bought his gun and it did take me awhile to get used to seeing it. But once he took me to the range, I was hooked!! I still haven't applied for my permit, but I am finally coming around and want to submit my application as soon as pay day gets here! I may not actually carry right away, however, this forum is a fabulous tool for someone like me and I think my co-workers think I'm crazy because I always have this site up while I'm working! I have learned so much and look forward to reading everyone's posts and opinions!! :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
alittlegunshy said:
I am 6 months preg with baby #2.
I was shooting at Doug's when I was 7 months Preggo! People thought I was crazy but it was a great stress reliever. Half way through my pregnancy Doc said no more...ummm...Happy time with Hubby. GRRRR! So I asked him if I could go shooting and he said as long as I don't shoot anything larger than a 9mm. I was game!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry, let me just ammend my previous post a little, this was all in the past tense. I was 6 months preg at the time all this was going down, but not anymore!! THANK GOODNESS!!! My beautifull baby girl is now 7 months old!! :wink:

·
Registered
70 Posts
My dad always had guns around as well as my brothers. It always made me feel safe to know that dad had a gun. When my husband and I moved into a "rough" neighborhood we decided to buy a gun for home defense. (side note: the DAY we moved in there was a HUGE cop chase that ended right on our front lawn, where several individuals were taken down by cops with batons... crazy!!!) Then we began discussing concealed carry and I thought, "I'm the one with the kids all day, taking them everywhere and running a million errands, I need to be able to carry a gun too, I don't always have a man around to protect me!" So we went and got our permits together and later bought me my own gun.
END of story

·
Registered
378 Posts
emmaishappy said:
When my husband and I moved into a "rough" neighborhood we decided to buy a gun for home defense. (side note: the DAY we moved in there was a HUGE cop chase that ended right on our front lawn, where several individuals were taken down by cops with batons... crazy!!!)
:shocked: Gee, welcome to the neighborhood! :lol2:

·
Registered
304 Posts
utahmomof4 said:
emmaishappy said:
When my husband and I moved into a "rough" neighborhood we decided to buy a gun for home defense. (side note: the DAY we moved in there was a HUGE cop chase that ended right on our front lawn, where several individuals were taken down by cops with batons... crazy!!!)
:shocked: Gee, welcome to the neighborhood! :lol2:
:agree:

That must have been one heck of a first day!

We live in a great neighborhood but in the last 6 months there has been one house on our street that has all sorts of suspicous activity. It makes me really uneasy so I'm wanting to be armed again as soon as possible just in case.

I found this picture that my hubby wants me to print, laminate, and post in our front yard...I love it!

·
Registered
378 Posts
That's a cool sign. We've always been leary about that kind of thing for us, just because we don't like to advertise. We don't want to give any would-be robbers a heads-up, plus we have 1 family of neighbors that I wouldn't trust any further than I can throw them. ;)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I love that sign! :thumbup:

Although, God forbid, you ever have to use deadly force, it may work against you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts