Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some shopping for a new handgun to be my CC weapon. I've obviously seen and felt things that I like and dislike as I've been looking around. Is this just wishful thinking or does there exist a place that has different models where you could go to actually put a few rounds through a few of them to see what feels better when fired? I have plenty of resources (friends/family) to do this with rifles but my access to handguns is somewhat limited. This is a newbie question I know but I'm a newbie, what else would you expect? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Some of it is wishful thinking and some of it is not in my experience. You can go to a range like Doug's Shoot N' Sport, rent a few models that they may have, and use your rental fee towards the purchase of a gun.

Doug's is the only place I have done this, but it is an option there.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Get Some Guns & Ammo, Doug's Shoot n Sports, Impact Guns in Ogden... I would narrow down what you ACTUALLY want to shoot to a few choices, then call up the ranges and see if they have those guns available to rent. Save yourself some time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, as always you guys always have the right answers. I've already narrowed it down to a couple but I would like fire them if possible to narrow it down even more. I wish I had the money to just get them all and decide later... :shades:

Thanks again...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Jasluc said:
Thanks, as always you guys always have the right answers. I've already narrowed it down to a couple but I would like fire them if possible to narrow it down even more. I wish I had the money to just get them all and decide later... :shades:

Thanks again...
What's on your list? I will loan my gun if you buy the rounds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Before I bought mine, I went to Doug's and tried out a Glock 19 and an XD. I think it was $10 to rent, $8 for the range, plus you'll need to purchase your range ammo there to use in the rentals. The guys at Doug's are great though, very helpful.

I chose the XD.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been looking hard at Glock, XD, and Walther. I've been leaning toward 9mm (quantity over size or round) but haven't decided just yet. That's one of the main reasons I wanted to fire a couple different models/calibers to see what really "feels" right.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
powerplaynow said:
The guys at Doug's are great though, very helpful.

I chose the XD.
:agree:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I went to Get Some Guns and Ammo and shot the following 9mm's

HK P30
Glock 19
Taurus 92AF
XD 9
Kahr
HK USP Compact

I was there for about 2 hours, bought ammo, and had a BLAST for about 50 bucks. They have this deal where you pay a flat fee and you can try any of the rentals two at a time. You have to run their ammo and pay for it though but that's with all the ranges that rent guns.

It was a great experience and helped me narrow down my choices of what I want. I hope this helped.
:crown:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I don't know anywhere in Layton that rents. If you do come down to range masters let me know I have a membership there and will come with you and get you in for free. That way it's only $20 for unlimited gun rentals, and they have a huge selection to pick from. This goes for anyone who wants to go shooting. The one problem with renting at range masters is that you have to use buy their ammo to use in the rentals. They've had few guns get damaged by people using reloads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts