Utah Guns Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my CFP in the mail today, took exactly 4 weeks from the day I brought the paperwork in. Also got the letter letting me know if the FBI check show's any disqualifying nature it will be revoked, or if the fingerprints are rejected. Anyone know how much longer, if need be, I should be cleared? Now I can seriously take a good look at getting a gun and some more classes. Hee Haw!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Shaolin said:
Anyone know how much longer, if need be, I should be cleared?
Yep, you're good to go now. This just means that you passed the initial FBI background check. They still need to run the full check and cross-check the fingerprints, but they don't make you wait for that process to be completed before you are legal to carry.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, that's what I thought. Going over to Impact today and put some money down on a Springfield XD 9mm SubCompact. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,757 Posts
Shaolin said:
Cool, that's what I thought. Going over to Impact today and put some money down on a Springfield XD 9mm SubCompact. Thanks again.
You might want to think a little about getting the service model, rather than the subcompact. I have a SC, and while it's a great gun, I'm thinking about trading for a service model. I'd suggest handling and shooting them both first, if you can, and experimenting a little with how you plan to carry.

My rationale for going with the SC was that it would be more concealable. What I've found, though, is that the main obstacle to concealment is the thickness, not the grip or muzzle length, and I think the extra inch of barrel really helps with accuracy.

What I think would be ideal is the "compact", which they only offer in .45 ACP. It has the 4" barrel of the service model, but the shortened grip of the sub-compact. With an extended mag, it's the same size as the service model, but you have the option of a shorter mag when you want it a little smaller.

I notice there's another feature they're offering on the .45 ACP model for 2008: a 1911-style thumb safety. I don't know that I want an active safety, but it's interesting that they seem to bring all the new features to the .45 first.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
swillden said:
Shaolin said:
You might want to think a little about getting the service model, rather than the subcompact. I have a SC, and while it's a great gun, I'm thinking about trading for a service model. I'd suggest handling and shooting them both first, if you can, and experimenting a little with how you plan to carry.

My rationale for going with the SC was that it would be more concealable. What I've found, though, is that the main obstacle to concealment is the thickness, not the grip or muzzle length, and I think the extra inch of barrel really helps with accuracy.

What I think would be ideal is the "compact", which they only offer in .45 ACP. It has the 4" barrel of the service model, but the shortened grip of the sub-compact. With an extended mag, it's the same size as the service model, but you have the option of a shorter mag when you want it a little smaller.

I notice there's another feature they're offering on the .45 ACP model for 2008: a 1911-style thumb safety. I don't know that I want an active safety, but it's interesting that they seem to bring all the new features to the .45 first.
Thanks for the info. I already put some money down on it. I've shot the 9mm SC, 45ACP, and 40 S&W. For my first gun I'm going with the 9mm SC, really felt great. The 45ACP was also great, that will be next.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Congrats and enjoy

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
CONGRATS on getting your permit. Good choice on your first handgun..... Be safe and hope to see you at the range or some classes. We got an advanced class in March.... just FYI

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Strategic Tactical said:
CONGRATS on getting your permit. Good choice on your first handgun..... Be safe and hope to see you at the range or some classes. We got an advanced class in March.... just FYI
You will definitely see me in the classes, just not sure which month yet.

·
Registered
849 Posts
That is great! Good choice for a first gun. The 9mm ammo is cheap enough that you can shoot a lot.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Shaolin said:
Got my CFP in the mail today, took exactly 4 weeks from the day I brought the paperwork in. Also got the letter letting me know if the FBI check show's any disqualifying nature it will be revoked, or if the fingerprints are rejected. Anyone know how much longer, if need be, I should be cleared? Now I can seriously take a good look at getting a gun and some more classes. Hee Haw!
Congrats !

I would by the gun thru Classifieds on KSL. This way it won't be "registered".

TJ

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
UTOC-45-44 said:
I would by the gun thru Classifieds on KSL. This way it won't be "registered".
TJ
Buying from a private party is really no more confidential then buying from a store here in Utah. Most private sellers will have you sign a bill of sale. The way a gun is tracked is the manufacturer keeps a record of who they sell each gun to (Sportsman’s warehouse for example). Then Guy A buys the gun from Sportsman’s warehouse and a record is filed with Sportsman’s warehouse (and only Sportsman’s warehouse). Then you buy from Guy A and sign a bill of sale. So while it is slightly more work for someone who wants to track down a gun, it is still easy enough in most cases. Now people lose records more often then businesses (at least one would hope) but in general it would not take long to track down your private party sale. While you can find good deals on KSL, I would guess more than 80% of people are selling their guns for much more then the current NEW value, so do some price checking before you buy.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
xmirage2kx said:
While you can find good deals on KSL, I would guess more than 80% of people are selling their guns for much more then the current NEW value, so do some price checking before you buy.
This is exactly what I found when I looked over the last couple weeks. I understand that guns rarely lose value, but seriously, how many guns actually gain that much value over a few years.

Oh, and to the OP: Congrats on getting the permit. I hope to have mine in time for my birthday next month so I can gift myself a new G38 or 39 (haven't decided which).

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I would suggest the 30 over the 38 or 39. The 45ACP ammo is cheaper then the 45GAP

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
xmirage2kx said:
I would suggest the 30 over the 38 or 39. The 45ACP ammo is cheaper then the 45GAP
I can't argue with your logic, but I'm stuck on the GAP. I have the 37 already and have been shooting it since it came out.
I am, however, thinking of swapping my 37 for a 23 or a 19 so I can practice for less money. It will depend on if I want to get back into competition shooting.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If you reload then the cost is not an issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts