Utah Guns Forum banner

Posting Window BUG

11K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  RustyShackleford 
#1 ·
Okay so if you make a post long enough that the text reaches the bottom of the posting window, every letter you type after that the window just keeps bouncing up and down so you cant see what your typing at all.

Is this a known issue? Is it localized just to me?

#6 ·
Happens to me also and is not limited to this forum. also using Windows 7. When i make long winded comments, I find myself copying to "Microsoft Word'' and finishing it there.

Luckily I am not that long winded on a regular basis. I wonder if DiveGeek could figure this out seeing he is an IT guy and sometimes long winded :mrgreen:

#7 ·
RustyShackleford said:
Happens to me also and is not limited to this forum. also using Windows 7. When i make long winded comments, I find myself copying to "Microsoft Word'' and finishing it there.

Luckily I am not that long winded on a regular basis. I wonder if DiveGeek could figure this out seeing he is an IT guy and sometimes long winded :mrgreen:
I don't do Windows.

;-)

#8 ·
divegeek said:
RustyShackleford said:

I don't do Windows.

;-)
That was punny

#11 ·
I'd think this issue would be more of a Browser specific issue rather than OS or OS version. I read UCC mostly in Firefox on Vista (at home and at work) and haven't seen that problem. But then again most of my posts are short so maybe my longer posts haven't been long enough yet.

Have those of you who've seen this problem tried different browsers: IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera and others.

#15 ·
B Cart said:
If you need to post something really long, type it in word and then copy and paste it into the posting window :D
Or just get a better browser. There are plenty of options.

#17 ·
Well I am not trying to start a big tech debate, its just when I build something web based I ussually make it completly cross compatible.

That and this is the forums for bugs so I figured I would let them know.

Yes on long post I do just use word.

#18 ·
OSIAS said:
Well I am not trying to start a big tech debate, its just when I build something web based I ussually make it completly cross compatible.
If you look at the HTML, CSS and Javascript, there's nothing in there that isn't perfectly standards-compliant. If it doesn't work in IE8, that's IE8's fault. We're supposed to be past the era of having to be bug-for-bug compatible with Microsoft's browsers. Microsoft even says so.

#22 ·
divegeek said:
OSIAS said:
If you look at the HTML, CSS and Javascript, there's nothing in there that isn't perfectly standards-compliant. If it doesn't work in IE8, that's IE8's fault. We're supposed to be past the era of having to be bug-for-bug compatible with Microsoft's browsers. Microsoft even says so.
I can see you and me are going to get along great lol. I only posted this bug becuase it doesnt happen on any of the other forums I use or admin on. Do I use MS only products and am I a giant fan boy. Not really becuase I am a tech and I use what makes the most sense. So if I am going to host a website I will run Linux with Appache ussually over IIS, if I am going to be seroius about a business network that I am going to setup then I am definatly going to be grabbing some cisco routers and switches rather then linksys. If its a tech only network ya i could run everything linux, but if I am setting it up for say a bunch of doctors definatly going to go with MS.

Currently the reason why I am using Win 7 is becuase for 1 I really like it and and two I have a MSDN Corp login for free copies of anything MS related. One of the perks for being a tech and I dont want to have to fuss on my homebox with getting to technical or compatibility issues with entertainment and the things I do at home.

Anyhow to each his own and I have no problem if someone wants to use anything different, its not a major bug I just figured the site admins would want to know. However I think the approach of Blame MS IE 8 or just use something different seems fairly weak.

Would any of say...
Well taking my 45 cal out for CC and personal defense is a hassle its heavier its bulkie, I will just take my 22 pistol instead.

#23 ·
OSIAS said:
However I think the approach of Blame MS IE 8 or just use something different seems fairly weak.
Why not blame it if it's broken?

#24 ·
I think as several other people have stated, they dont have any problems on other forums, Nor do I on any of the forums I moderate or admin on.
Safe to say IE 8 is not broken. Does it have security holes yes, but so does others and thats not the topic were on.

#25 ·
OSIAS said:
I think as several other people have stated, they dont have any problems on other forums, Nor do I on any of the forums I moderate or admin on.
Safe to say IE 8 is not broken. Does it have security holes yes, but so does others and thats not the topic were on.
I don't think a comparison to other forums would disqualify the "IE is broke" theory. Who knows what crazy small bug has been hit upon in the complex world of parsing html and css. It could be that the html and css combination that happens to be in use in this forum exposes some strange bug that wasn't found in any QA testing. I would have to agree that IE is where the problem lies. We aren't simply talking about "when box X is displayed, it doesn't work right." There is a heck of a lot more going on there and comparing apples to oranges is no way to tell us that the apples aren't spoiled. I spend all my day at work chasing down application issues and code bugs and it is NEVER that simple.

#26 ·
Crash said:
OSIAS said:
I don't think a comparison to other forums would disqualify the "IE is broke" theory.
+1

Of course, it's also possible that IE isn't broken -- but the fact that Safari, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Konqueror and the BlackBerry browser all display the site properly strongly argues against it (I haven't tested Dillo, or Elinks). Frankly, the nature of the described bug argues against it as well. For that to be the proper behavior would require some rather specific Javascript code that is simply not present here. There is no code on this site that is deliberately causing such behavior, which means that it basically has to be a bug in IE's implementation of the element. Why is it that the bug is triggered here and not on other sites? I can't say. One semi-unusual thing about this site is the presence of all of the animated smilies to the right of the posting area -- perhaps the redrawing for the animation of those is triggering a textarea redrawing bug?

If IE8 supported add-ons like the Firefox "Nuke Anything" add-on, you could test my theory by nuking all of the icons and then checking to see if it still happens. Or you could set up a proxy server and deliberately block all of those animated GIFs, and see if that does it. Or maybe it has nothing to do with those.

In any case, given that IE8 appears to be the ONLY browser that has the problem -- even previous versions of IE don't have it -- and given that the nature of the bug is something that the site is clearly not deliberately requesting the browser to do, I don't think there's any question but what it's an IE8 bug.

I'd suggest filing a bug report with Microsoft, except that they don't take bug reports unless you pay for a service contract. Yet ANOTHER reason not to use IE8.

Seriously, install Chrome or Firefox on your Windows 7. They're faster, less buggy, more secure and more featureful. Oh, and middle-clicking links works properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.