Link Setting?

Please read and abide by the rules you will find here.
This is also an area to post comments, complaints, and concerns regarding Utah Concealed Carry.

Link Setting?

Postby PolarXJ » Tue 25 Jan 2011 10:47 am

Is there a setting that I can change so that when I click on a link it opens a new tab/window. Out of all the other forums, this is the only one that after I click on a link that the current tab/window proceeds to the new location?
PolarXJ
Novice

Re: Link Setting?

Postby one4freedom » Tue 25 Jan 2011 11:00 am

PolarXJ wrote:Is there a setting that I can change so that when I click on a link it opens a new tab/window. Out of all the other forums, this is the only one that after I click on a link that the current tab/window proceeds to the new location?

What browser are you using? Check those settings to open links in new tab/window.

You can also middle-click (click on your scroll wheel if you have one) and it will open in a new tab.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IDPA SO
one4freedom
Expert Marksman

Postby PolarXJ » Tue 25 Jan 2011 12:24 pm

Chrome. This is the only forum that I have to right click to be able to open the link into new tab.
PolarXJ
Novice

Postby Crash » Tue 25 Jan 2011 12:34 pm

I looked and there doesn't seem to be a setting for that in my personal forum preferences. I would guess that there is something in the administrative config that could allow all links to force out to another window--a config option which I would support enabling!

It may be possible to configure some browsers to open links in a new window, but I don't usually want that enabled for every web page I visit, so if it could be turned on in the admin of the forum software, that would be great. I often forget the right click and "open in new tab" when on this forum and then have to backtrack or re-open when I realize I just closed the window that had the forum in it at one point 5 clicks ago.
Crash...
crashbob.com

I am not a lawyer

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
Crash
Sharp Shooter

Postby PolarXJ » Tue 25 Jan 2011 12:41 pm

Yeah that basically what I do as well. :D I've looked in my settings, but I know I often oversee something. Hence why I asked.
PolarXJ
Novice

Postby xRapidDavex » Tue 25 Jan 2011 1:09 pm

I asked Jeff about this a while back and he said they couldn't make it happen without a major forum overhaul. I just Ctrl + click my links here.
It's not so much that the gun does or doesn't do what it's supposed to, it's simply not running anymore. So if it doesn't run, what I do is sort of wang on it until it does.

-Clint Smith [on malfunction clearances]
xRapidDavex
Sniper

Postby divegeek » Tue 25 Jan 2011 1:27 pm

xRapidDavex wrote:I asked Jeff about this a while back and he said they couldn't make it happen without a major forum overhaul. I just Ctrl + click my links here.

Yeah, this really seems like something to handle on the browser.

Pretty much every browser on Linux opens links in a tab if you middle-click, so that's what I've always done. I think most browsers other than IE do on Windows -- but I don't use Windows so I'm not sure.
Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby xRapidDavex » Tue 25 Jan 2011 1:28 pm

divegeek wrote:
xRapidDavex wrote:I asked Jeff about this a while back and he said they couldn't make it happen without a major forum overhaul. I just Ctrl + click my links here.

Pretty much every browser on Linux opens links in a tab if you middle-click, so that's what I've always done. I think most browsers other than IE do on Windows -- but I don't use Windows so I'm not sure.

If you set it at the browser level, won't you be opening every link in a new tab as you surf the net? :dunno: That's not something I'm personally interested in.
It's not so much that the gun does or doesn't do what it's supposed to, it's simply not running anymore. So if it doesn't run, what I do is sort of wang on it until it does.

-Clint Smith [on malfunction clearances]
xRapidDavex
Sniper

Postby divegeek » Tue 25 Jan 2011 1:32 pm

xRapidDavex wrote:
divegeek wrote:

If you set it at the browser level, won't you be opening every link in a new tab as you surf the net? :dunno: That's not something I'm personally interested in.

No, just every link you click with the middle mouse button. To open a link normally, you click with the left button. To get a menu of options, you click with the right button.

It doesn't work with IE, but that's just one more reason not to use it, IMO :-)
Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby one4freedom » Tue 25 Jan 2011 1:37 pm

Yes, middle click with chrome on Windows 7 opens in new tab.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IDPA SO
one4freedom
Expert Marksman

Postby RustyShackleford » Tue 25 Jan 2011 2:33 pm

14freedom wrote:Yes, middle click with chrome on Windows 7 opens in new tab.

I just keep learning new stuff everyday on this forum...Thanks
If you consider yourself an American, and are not yet on a government watchlist...You're Not Trying.
RustyShackleford
Sniper

Return to Rules, Comments, Complaints, and Concerns