Blocked by work FireWall

Please read and abide by the rules you will find here.
This is also an area to post comments, complaints, and concerns regarding Utah Concealed Carry.

Blocked by work FireWall

Postby faydee » Fri 28 Jan 2011 7:53 am

I work for a company that filters our internet so we cant get to the usual bad sites... well i can get here just fine but some times when i go to specific threads they get filtered out as "adult material" some of them i cant even go into the thread and some of them i can go in the thread but i cant post a reply... usually it has to do with the topic being AR15 but that isnt filtered here but just happened on the thread about a ruger pistol

i will post a link in the following post
Using the lessons I've gleaned from Zombie movies, I would recommend you have at least one round of ammunition per person currently living within a 30 mile radius of your location...

III%
faydee
Sniper
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sat 20 Mar 2010 10:45 am

Re: Blocked by work FireWall

Postby faydee » Fri 28 Jan 2011 7:53 am

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10835

i can go to this thread but i cannot post in it...
Using the lessons I've gleaned from Zombie movies, I would recommend you have at least one round of ammunition per person currently living within a 30 mile radius of your location...

III%
faydee
Sniper
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sat 20 Mar 2010 10:45 am

Re: Blocked by work FireWall

Postby faydee » Fri 28 Jan 2011 7:58 am

S&W M&P15
by veyec on Tue 25 Jan 2011 12:02 pm

this thread in the General Firearms section i cannot get into at all to even read the thread... filtered as "adult material"

also happens in chit chat sometimes but it think it is mostly in the 2 fire arms sections

just weird and wondering if there is anything that can be done i know for a fact the only "adult material" is not the same kind of adult material that is gettign filtered by my system... :(
Using the lessons I've gleaned from Zombie movies, I would recommend you have at least one round of ammunition per person currently living within a 30 mile radius of your location...

III%
faydee
Sniper
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sat 20 Mar 2010 10:45 am

Re: Blocked by work FireWall

Postby My Trigger Guard » Fri 28 Jan 2011 8:10 am

Unless you work in the IT Dept I would advise against making any changes to allow this site to be shown at work. Even then if you did I would probably not advise you to take this up with your boss. Most companies do not want you surfing anything personal or not company related on there networks. I know I wouldnt want you to be able too.

Granted if you work for some big gun company or something similar well then thats a different story.
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
BCI Utah Concealed Firearms Instructor

Http://MyTriggerguard.Com/
Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it.
Banjamin Franklin
User avatar
My Trigger Guard
Sharp Shooter
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri 21 Jan 2011 8:46 am
Location: Utah

Re: Blocked by work FireWall

Postby Crash » Fri 28 Jan 2011 10:52 am

Sometimes, depending on the size or purpose of your company, you may be able to find an alternate proxy server that doesn't route through the same filters. Of course, that doesn't mean you are authorized to use that other proxy.

I work for a very large company of around 300,000+ employees. We have some filtering, but it is relatively minor and only affects the more obvious sites. Our corporate policy specifically allows personal surfing of websites, including some use of social networking sites such as facebook. Email sites such as hotmail, etc. are specifically prohibited because the the possibility of viruses. It really makes sense, I think. There is nothing wrong with allowing a little bit of personal surfing at work in most positions. It's good for morale and productivity if not abused. It's the same as someone making a personal call on their desk phone or reading a book or magazine at their desk during downtime or breaks.

Nothing is more annoying than working in an environment with IT people who want to exert their power over everyone while they bypass the controls and surf the web as they please.
Crash...
Image
crashbob.com

I am not a lawyer

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
User avatar
Crash
Sharp Shooter
 
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu 16 Dec 2010 9:10 pm
Location: Syracuse, UT

Re: Blocked by work FireWall

Postby My Trigger Guard » Fri 28 Jan 2011 11:07 am

Ya until someone gets something nasty on there network and the IT dept is left to clean it up.

I agree though if the IT dept deosnt follow its own rules thats bogus.
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
BCI Utah Concealed Firearms Instructor

Http://MyTriggerguard.Com/
Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it.
Banjamin Franklin
User avatar
My Trigger Guard
Sharp Shooter
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri 21 Jan 2011 8:46 am
Location: Utah

Re: Blocked by work FireWall

Postby DaKnife » Fri 28 Jan 2011 11:10 am

Could you send an inquiry to your IT dept as to why their software was filtering out specific topics on the site. I'd include a cite of UCC's rules and family friendly policies. My guess is threads are fine until someone uses a targeted word phrase or acronym. I'm not going to cite them as that could just get this thread blocked, but I did see a couple items in the Ruger thread that could have possibly triggered an oversensitive filter. The example's I noticed are really a stretch, but I could see how an overly sensitive filter could flag them. Of course if that is the case, then their filter is seriously over sensitive, and needs to be adjusted.
SPOOOOOOON!!!

WARNING: This comment may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm, in every other state it may increase intelligence and knowledge.
User avatar
DaKnife
Sniper
 
Posts: 2400
Joined: Thu 06 Jan 2011 12:16 pm
Location: Riverdale

Re: Blocked by work FireWall

Postby Crash » Fri 28 Jan 2011 11:21 am

OSIAS wrote:Ya until someone gets something nasty on there network and the IT dept is left to clean it up.

I agree though if the IT dept deosnt follow its own rules thats bogus.


Oh, so you are suggesting that we don't allow people to use their own good judgement and intelligence to determine if they are causing a danger to the environment? And instead of punishing the few offenders, we punish the whole because of what MIGHT happen? ;)

I have heard that argument somewhere before...

I realize in reality, there are a lot of reasons why these situations might not be comparable. I agree, it is a fine line to tread and each company has to make those decisions based on the risk to their business and cost of fixing such a problem. But I am glad that my company tends to err on the side of trusting the employees.
Crash...
Image
crashbob.com

I am not a lawyer

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
User avatar
Crash
Sharp Shooter
 
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu 16 Dec 2010 9:10 pm
Location: Syracuse, UT

Re: Blocked by work FireWall

Postby My Trigger Guard » Fri 28 Jan 2011 12:09 pm

Okay your trying to compares apples to oranges and tie it into a persons rights to bear arms. Not the same argument. I as well dont honestly have the time to really see this argument though.

What people want to do with there own personal computers on there own time is there own business and I can care less. On My IT networks that I manage, yes I controll the network as much as possible. Even on my home network I have my family members computers locked down, cuase I am the one responsible to manage and repair them etc.

Look you dont want to agree with my policy go ahead and start up a company with at least 1000+ employees and computers with a real network infustructure off secured applications and data. Leave the network wide open to usage. See how well that goes. You can argue productivty and morale all you want I really dont care.

May I suggest you invest in a really good insurance policy :crown:
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
BCI Utah Concealed Firearms Instructor

Http://MyTriggerguard.Com/
Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it.
Banjamin Franklin
User avatar
My Trigger Guard
Sharp Shooter
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri 21 Jan 2011 8:46 am
Location: Utah

Re: Blocked by work FireWall

Postby Crash » Fri 28 Jan 2011 1:04 pm

OSIAS wrote:Okay your trying to compares apples to oranges and tie it into a persons rights to bear arms. Not the same argument. I as well dont honestly have the time to really see this argument though.


Uhhh... That's what I said in my last paragraph. I was making a joke and made a point of the fact that they aren't really comparable situations in many ways. Each company needs to make their own decisions. My company of 300,000+ employees has one of the more advanced, secure, and extensive networks in the world and chooses to allow personal internet surfing. It is the decision that they feel is right for them. I don't know who you work for or what your risk is for problems on your network or the cost to fix it, so I can't comment on the justness of your policies. I work for one of the largest banks in the country (does that qualify as a real network infrastructure of secured applications and data?) and I know the level of risk for exposure in my company and it is on that knowledge that I base my opinions.

It is my OPINION that a little freedom for employees makes sense with regard to internet surfing just as it does for other non-business activities. But that is just my opinion. I'm not trying to say you are wrong in your opinion. I said that your company makes their decisions based on what they feel is right for them.

On my home computers, I don't choose to lock down anything for my family. It is my choice and what I feel works for my family. With freedom comes risk. That is a chance I'm willing to take. If I have to fix a computer because it got a virus, oh well. That's the price of freedom, I suppose. It is a cost that I determined based on risk analysis of MY situation. Again, I'm not judging your situation.

Understand that I'm not arguing with your position. I'm supporting your right to have an opinion and make a decision for what is best for you.

I think this is falling off topic quickly...
Crash...
Image
crashbob.com

I am not a lawyer

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
User avatar
Crash
Sharp Shooter
 
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu 16 Dec 2010 9:10 pm
Location: Syracuse, UT

Re: Blocked by work FireWall

Postby My Trigger Guard » Fri 28 Jan 2011 2:01 pm

Yes its off topic sorry i didnt realize the joke.

Yes banking is very seroius consideration, probably one of the most.( I worked sub contracted for America One for a short period) If I didnt have mentaly handicapped people in my family (seroiusly) and possibly more educated without a history of pc issues I would be more open on my network.

I have never had the pleasure to work for a company that allowed personal browsing, glad to hear that some people get treated humanly out there.
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
BCI Utah Concealed Firearms Instructor

Http://MyTriggerguard.Com/
Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it.
Banjamin Franklin
User avatar
My Trigger Guard
Sharp Shooter
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Fri 21 Jan 2011 8:46 am
Location: Utah

Re: Blocked by work FireWall

Postby Crash » Fri 28 Jan 2011 2:28 pm

:thumbsup:
Crash...
Image
crashbob.com

I am not a lawyer

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
User avatar
Crash
Sharp Shooter
 
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu 16 Dec 2010 9:10 pm
Location: Syracuse, UT

Re: Blocked by work FireWall

Postby faydee » Sat 29 Jan 2011 8:48 am

DaKnife wrote:Could you send an inquiry to your IT dept as to why their software was filtering out specific topics on the site. I'd include a cite of UCC's rules and family friendly policies. My guess is threads are fine until someone uses a targeted word phrase or acronym. I'm not going to cite them as that could just get this thread blocked, but I did see a couple items in the Ruger thread that could have possibly triggered an oversensitive filter. The example's I noticed are really a stretch, but I could see how an overly sensitive filter could flag them. Of course if that is the case, then their filter is seriously over sensitive, and needs to be adjusted.


yep that is what i am going to have to do...

it is weird yesterday i tried to follow up post here and it was blocked... today i can post here...

i am sure it is just some weird phrase that is common here and is in no way "adult material" this has been one of the strangest things i have ever encountered with firewalls and web servers but i was wondering if the site admin here can just check their side too cause who knows why it is so random... must be one of those "little green men inside the box on my desk" things that we wont ever understand...

thanks for the replys

OSIAS i think my short PM to you did not convey what i was trying to but it is all good thanks fo rht equick replys :mrgreen:
Using the lessons I've gleaned from Zombie movies, I would recommend you have at least one round of ammunition per person currently living within a 30 mile radius of your location...

III%
faydee
Sniper
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sat 20 Mar 2010 10:45 am

Re: Blocked by work FireWall

Postby arsenalfun » Sun 30 Jan 2011 1:21 pm

faydee wrote:
DaKnife wrote:Could you send an inquiry to your IT dept as to why their software was filtering out specific topics on the site. I'd include a cite of UCC's rules and family friendly policies. My guess is threads are fine until someone uses a targeted word phrase or acronym. I'm not going to cite them as that could just get this thread blocked, but I did see a couple items in the Ruger thread that could have possibly triggered an oversensitive filter. The example's I noticed are really a stretch, but I could see how an overly sensitive filter could flag them. Of course if that is the case, then their filter is seriously over sensitive, and needs to be adjusted.


yep that is what i am going to have to do...

it is weird yesterday i tried to follow up post here and it was blocked... today i can post here...

i am sure it is just some weird phrase that is common here and is in no way "adult material" this has been one of the strangest things i have ever encountered with firewalls and web servers but i was wondering if the site admin here can just check their side too cause who knows why it is so random... must be one of those "little green men inside the box on my desk" things that we wont ever understand...

thanks for the replys

OSIAS i think my short PM to you did not convey what i was trying to but it is all good thanks fo rht equick replys :mrgreen:

just go to some proxy site.. you can find some at proxy server list http://proxy-zone.net and click at any link. In new opened website type youtube URL. enjoy i hope this helps
arsenalfun
Novice
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun 30 Jan 2011 1:17 pm


Return to Rules, Comments, Complaints, and Concerns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest