Sizing a photo to avitar size

Please read and abide by the rules you will find here.
This is also an area to post comments, complaints, and concerns regarding Utah Concealed Carry.

Sizing a photo to avitar size

Postby medicblue » Tue 01 Feb 2011 12:51 pm

I thought I'd put a photo of me in for an Avitar, I made it 100 px x 100 px but its 31kb, anyone know how to get it down to 6kb?
Blue
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation

"What are we holding onto Sam?" "That there's some good in this world Mr. Frodo, and its worth fightin for".
medicblue
Marksman

Re: Sizing a photo to avitar size

Postby Sam Fidler » Tue 01 Feb 2011 1:22 pm

If you have the capability to resize an image to fewer pixels then you should also be able to reduce the file size. Try saving it as a JPG and look for a setting that allows you to reduce quality.
"I have sworn upon the altar of God Eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson, 1800
http://www.The-Palladium-Group.com
Sam Fidler
Sniper

Postby medicblue » Tue 01 Feb 2011 1:33 pm

Have photoshop CS5, you'd think it would have a way to do this. Tried saving with lowest quality and only got ,it down to 29kb, added black and white and no change. Hmm, I'm on a mission now!
Blue
NRA

"What are we holding onto Sam?" "That there's some good in this world Mr. Frodo, and its worth fightin for".
medicblue
Marksman

Postby Sam Fidler » Tue 01 Feb 2011 1:57 pm

For Photoshop click File, then Save for Web & Devices. I believe the default save if GIF so change it, in the upper right corner, to JPEG then you will be able to change the compression from High to Low. You should see the Quality window change to 10. Hit Save and it should be the smallest file size possible.
"I have sworn upon the altar of God Eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson, 1800
Sam Fidler
Sniper

Postby Crash » Tue 01 Feb 2011 2:06 pm

Sam Fidler wrote:For Photoshop click File, then Save for Web & Devices. I believe the default save if GIF so change it, in the upper right corner, to JPEG then you will be able to change the compression from High to Low. You should see the Quality window change to 10. Hit Save and it should be the smallest file size possible.

+1
Crash...
crashbob.com

I am not a lawyer

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
Crash
Sharp Shooter

Postby medicblue » Tue 01 Feb 2011 4:13 pm

Awesome, ty for telling me about that, never knew. Mostly use photoshop to develop/punch up my photos, I don't get to use the other cool stuff much.
Blue
NRA

medicblue
Marksman

Postby Sam Fidler » Wed 02 Feb 2011 12:52 pm

Looks like you got it to work. :party3:
Sam Fidler
Sniper

Return to Rules, Comments, Complaints, and Concerns