Questions about rules

Please read and abide by the rules you will find here.
This is also an area to post comments, complaints, and concerns regarding Utah Concealed Carry.

Questions about rules

Postby lmj301 » Sat 19 Feb 2011 9:26 am

I understand and appreciate that this forum is kept by the moderators to be family friendly. I appreciate that cursing is kept to a minimum and that things are kept to a high standard of decency. Sometimes I feel that it the censorship although necessary and appreciated is a little too conservative. I understand that I am not a UT native and even after three years of residency that I do still experience culture shock.

May I be so bold as to suggest a poll to modify a couple of rules.

"5.No posts that use abusive or vulgar language, particularly personal attacks on members of this forum, are allowed. We can and certainly do disagree on issues, but it is expected that we can do so in a civil manner. Using special character substitution to try to bypass the word filter is not permitted."

I have seen DIRECT QUOTES of our elected officials edited. I believe if it is a direct quote from a news agency, elected official or governmental employee, that they should not be censored. I believe what I, the moderators, or any other members of this board write should be kept at a "PG" or "PG-13" level. To censor a news story or elected official's words not only is a little insulting, but also masks the type of person that we have in office and in positions of power.

"7.No posts that contain links to other web sites that violate these rules are allowed."
I believe this can and does keep some important discussions out of this forum. We are here to discuss and educate eachother about the responsible carry of firearms in the state of UT and while traveling out of state. I can understand that we might not want some graphic pictures posted on this sight; we do not want children or the squeemish to see pictures of things that we cannot "unsee". To forbid links that show injuries of individtuals that have broken the "rules of safe firearms handling" limits those teaching tools that may help others not make the same mistakes. I believe that these can be teaching tools, VERY important teaching tools. If links to the pictures are provided then a member must make a conscience choice to open the link and will not be suprised by the graphic content. The same goes for links to videos on Youtube. I believe if a warning such as "Warning, link to graphic content" should be enough disclosure.

"12.The posting of graphic photos or videos depicting extreme violence or graphic wound trauma is prohibited."
See above.

I do not know what the other Forum members think of this. These are just suggestions of course. I expect to be shot down on these suggestions, but I think that I am not the only one to have a similar opinion.

Thank you for the good job that you do.
lmj301
Sharp Shooter

Re: Questions about rules

Postby schmack » Sat 19 Feb 2011 9:55 am

I agree with this. I like that people are civil to each other and not "spewing their intelligence" with their limited and vulgar vocabulary as you see on other forums. But often I've seen a post with a reference to a relevant youtube video with a warning that someone swears in the video, and the link has been removed because of it. I would like to see that changed.

I'm content with this forum and think it's great and realize it's not exactly a democracy, but I think some censorship hinders us sometimes.
"The American republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."
-Alexis De Tocqueville
schmack
Marksman

Postby Paul » Sat 19 Feb 2011 10:18 am

This issue has been discussed at length multiple times. Seems like very few months someone brings it up again. Go do a search and you can see this subject has been beat to death. This is a privately owned forum. The owner wishes it to be this way. As moderators we comply with his wishes. As member you agree to comply with the forum rules. You do have valid points and I doubt anybody will disagree with your comments. Fact of the matter is though that it doesn't matter. The forum is the way it is because thats the way the owner wants it. There are hundreds of other forums where the violent content, graphic photos, and unedited language can be found. If a video is refenced that I want to see (with no link) or a graphic video, story whatever (again with no link), it take about 2 seconds to find it on my own without the link if I want to. And sometimes I do want to see the videos so I just take a second and go find them on my own. Thats what I do! A line has to be drawn somewhere......
-Paul
http://www.myfavoritegunstore.com
http://www.cachevalleycabinetsandtops.com
NRA Life Member
Utah CFP Instructor
Utah Hunters Education Instructor
NRA Rifle and Pistol Instructor and RSO
Front Sight President (ask me about memberships)
Paul
Forum Owner

Postby divegeek » Sat 19 Feb 2011 12:14 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that UCC is not a democracy. I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing up your concerns to discuss them, but at the end of the day even if all of us unanimously agreed that we didn't like the rules, this is Thomas' site, and what he says goes. If we don't like it we are free to go elsewhere.

My opinion is that the rules and the moderation are a very significant component of the success of this forum. The quality of discussion is so high because friendly, intelligent and knowledgeable people like being here, and those people are here because it's a friendly place. Relaxing the rules would change the tenor of the discussion, and I think the site would suffer greatly for it.

To me, the bottom line is that it works well as-is. If you want a different sort of discussion there are thousands of other forums where you can get it.
Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby schmack » Sat 19 Feb 2011 1:31 pm

divegeek wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that UCC is not a democracy. I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing up your concerns to discuss them, but at the end of the day even if all of us unanimously agreed that we didn't like the rules, this is Thomas' site, and what he says goes.

I guess that resolves it for me. That's kinda what I thought and actually said about as much, but I wanted to show lmj that he's not alone on his thinking so he doesn't just receive negative feedback.
"The American republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."
-Alexis De Tocqueville
schmack
Marksman

Postby MarshallDodge » Tue 22 Feb 2011 7:54 pm

I am a member on several forums. Each forum is a useful source of information, and each one has a line drawn in the sand.

UCC runs a tight ship, and although i have rocked the boat a couple times, I respect them for it and take my thoughts elsewhere when needed. 8)
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Return to Rules, Comments, Complaints, and Concerns