Utah Guns Forum banner

Changes of topic and being on/off topic

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Jeff Johnson 
#1 ·
Rule 9 said:
Hijackers are frowned upon. When you post to an existing thread, please make a reasonable effort to stay on the topic of the thread. If your post is on an entirely different topic, you might as well start a new thread.
This is followed by If you give it a moment's consideration, you will see that these rules are all about being considerate of others towards the end.

With those 2 rules in mind, I'm asking for clarification on something. By this text, it seems the rule is in effect to be courteous to the OP that starts the thread. I'm asking that if an OP finds that his thread wanders and he/she sanctions it, they should be allowed to let the thread wander.

I've done it twice in a single thread. It's the thread I started about the Kaysville Range. The question was answered very soon into the thread, but there were alternate discussions about zeroing a rifle. When that happened, I modified the topic of the original post to reflect the changes.

Car Knocker had a point that future searches wouldn't find the information, but I'm not sure that's an issue because as the original post has its topic changed, the latest posts would take on that new topic and be found in searches as such.

Since the real intent is to be courteous to the thread starters, I ask that it be allowed that a thread be allowed to go off topic since if it is sanctioned by the thread starter, it is in fact not being hijacked and the search function still allows the threads to be found further down the line.

See less See more
#2 ·
Guilty as charged!!! :shock:

I tend to respond more to the questions, posts, and comments then to check to see if my remark is on topic, a few degrees off topic, or so far off topic as to not even be relevant to the original post.

Listen to a normal, casual conversation and watch how much it wanders. Heck, even my own thoughts have a tendency to ramble around like an untethered boat.

I think you've laid a good, common sense approach, and a general rule to abide by. If the OP sanctions it, then modify the title, if necessary. As far as the search engine goes, it is a text based and not so much a topic based search. If you enter the keyword/phrase, then it shows up bookmarked in the results regardless of the text in the thread's title.

That's my 2 cents worth, my humble opinion, and I'm sticking to it. :wink:

#3 ·
I agree! Sometimes a topic plays out, but brings out some very good conversation that is useful. I have followed a few threads like this and just as they get Re-interesting, they are locked. (before i can give all of my wit and wisdom they deserve).

However...when it is the case that the thread takes off in an arguing match (disrespectful type), I don't mind when the Mod gets it back on track or locks the puppy down.

#4 ·
A private plane doesn't get hijacked if the pilot agrees to take a passenger to a different airport.

:)

#7 ·
Thanks for making the suggestion. We value all suggestions.

After discussing this with the Posse, we concluded that to try to relax the rule would be impractical for several reasons, including what to do with a hijack before the OP has come back to the thread. It would be difficult to make that kind of judgment call. Moderating is a balancing act to begin with. I don't want to make it harder for my excellent moderators.

Let's just create separate threads when we want to discuss something different from the topic of the thread.

Thanks for understanding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.