MODS: Request for the site

Please read and abide by the rules you will find here.
This is also an area to post comments, complaints, and concerns regarding Utah Concealed Carry.

Postby xRapidDavex » Thu 07 Jul 2011 10:40 pm

Maybe I'm just a moron (this happens a lot), but this is an issue I've had for a while. I pretty much surf this site by the "view new posts" link. I regularly find myself clicking the site logo and then clicking "view new posts" to keep perusing (especially when I've clicked 9 pages into a thread). So if this isn't already implemented (this would be the moron part), can we update the site to include a "view new posts" link at the top and bottom of each thread page? There's already a "view your posts" link right where I want a "view new posts" link.

Thanks!
It's not so much that the gun does or doesn't do what it's supposed to, it's simply not running anymore. So if it doesn't run, what I do is sort of wang on it until it does.

-Clint Smith [on malfunction clearances]
xRapidDavex
Sniper

Re: MODS: Request for the site

Postby schmack » Thu 07 Jul 2011 11:26 pm

+1

I would like to be able to return from deep in a thread to the new posts with just one click.
"The American republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."
-Alexis De Tocqueville
schmack
Marksman

Postby UtahJarhead » Fri 08 Jul 2011 5:44 am

There *IS* a link that says jump to first unread post.
DO NOT talk to cops! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle Instructor
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby Snurd » Fri 08 Jul 2011 6:54 am

When using the regular website, there is something that may be a little more helpful that has always been there. On the far right of the page there is a spot that says who the last person was to post on that thread. Whether you are looking at the "view new posts" link or are under a sub forum it doesn't matter, it is always there. Right next to the persons name, there is a little box with an arrow on it. Click that and it will go to the last post on the thread.
Obviously if it is a really active topic, you may have to go back a bit and find where you stopped last time. Hopefully that helps a little. I use that quite often when I use the main website.
Snurd
Posse

Postby xRapidDavex » Fri 08 Jul 2011 7:52 am

No, we're talking about two different functions.

As you guys point out, I can easily jump to the last unread post and if there are only a couple of replies I can just hit back in my browser to get back to the unread posts section in one click. However, if I click on a thread and then click 9 pages in, I'm now at minimum 2 clicks away from the unread posts page and at maximum 9 clicks away. I would like it to always be 1 click away.

Furthermore, having a link at the bottom in addition to the top would save me from scrolling all the way to the top of a thread page to reach the site logo, which normally gives me access to the view new posts link.
It's not so much that the gun does or doesn't do what it's supposed to, it's simply not running anymore. So if it doesn't run, what I do is sort of wang on it until it does.

xRapidDavex
Sniper

Postby Shadehawk » Fri 08 Jul 2011 8:01 am

He's referring to the unread posts since he logged in last link that shows up on the main page, not the link within a topic. The link that takes you to the new post topic list
"I finally found a cop light enough to carry around"
Springfield XD SC .40
Proudly Equipped With BLACKHAWK! Holsters and Accessories
NRA Member | Utah CFP Holder | OC Nut
Shadehawk
Expert Marksman

Postby gravedancer » Fri 08 Jul 2011 8:24 am

I agree it would be nice. A workaround that I use is... I open the "view new posts" link in one window, and then any threads I open off that page I open in a new tab, that way when im done with that thread and want to go back to the list of "new posts" I just close the tab.
http://bit.ly/2vHUiug will get you around the auto filtering of the domain on this site
gravedancer
Sniper

Postby UtahJarhead » Fri 08 Jul 2011 8:30 am

Gotcha. I think you should move this up to the top to the Site Discussion forum so it's seen better.

I know what you're talking about, I think. Tapatalk app on my iPod does this same thing. It lists the threads that have activity in them and no others. There is a full forum view, but that list is great.
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby frsmithiv » Fri 08 Jul 2011 9:40 am

I just put the "view active topics" page as my bookmark on my bookmarks toolbar. That way when I get to the end of a post its just one click on my toolbar to get back to the active topics page. I don't even need to scroll for it.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side - Han Solo
Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life... Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends. - Gandalf
frsmithiv
Marksman

Postby UtahJarhead » Fri 08 Jul 2011 11:09 am

Ooh, awesome idea!
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby hawkwing » Fri 08 Jul 2011 1:54 pm

This would actually be a pretty easy phpbb template change, I'm not sure if any of the mods here know anything about editing the templates on phpbb, but you can do it from the administrator control panel, you don't even need to physically edit the files.
hawkwing
Marksman

Postby Shadehawk » Fri 08 Jul 2011 2:22 pm

hawkwing wrote:This would actually be a pretty easy phpbb template change, I'm not sure if any of the mods here know anything about editing the templates on phpbb, but you can do it from the administrator control panel, you don't even need to physically edit the files.

Exactly. It's a simple matter of editing the style sheet
"I finally found a cop light enough to carry around"
Springfield XD SC .40
Proudly Equipped With BLACKHAWK! Holsters and Accessories
NRA Member | Utah CFP Holder | OC Nut
Shadehawk
Expert Marksman

Postby xRapidDavex » Fri 08 Jul 2011 5:31 pm

frsmithiv wrote:I just put the "view active topics" page as my bookmark on my bookmarks toolbar. That way when I get to the end of a post its just one click on my toolbar to get back to the active topics page. I don't even need to scroll for it.

Great Tip!

xRapidDavex
Sniper

Postby divegeek » Fri 08 Jul 2011 7:11 pm

I have a bookmark[*] to the "new posts" page, and then I middle-click (or Apple-click on my Macbook) to open each link in a separate tab. Then I can just read to the end of each thread and close the tab. When I run out of tabs, I'm back at the "new posts"

If you don't have tabs, you really, really need a better browser :-)

[*] Actually it's not a bookmark, per se. I use Chrome and the default home page has the eight most-frequently visited web sites. The UCC "new posts" page always ends up in the top three or four. So my UCC-reading process is Apple-T to open a new tab, click on the image of the UCC page, Apple-click on the icons to the left of each thread title, then go through one tab at a time.

What I'd really like is a link attached to a bit of Javascript on the "new posts" page that opens ALL new posts in tabs, with one click. Hmm. I may have to see if I can create such a thing and make a bookmarklet.
Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby Daeyel » Sat 09 Jul 2011 4:48 am

I generally read just a few of the chapters of this novel: Concealed Carry, Open Carry, General firearms, the entire 'Our God Given Rights' section from the bottom up, Chit Chat, and the Real Life Stories (my fave, y'all need to post more often in there!) in that order.

I just return to the index, be it the section index and click the next new post, or the board index to the next chapter.
Granted, I don't have a fancy phone, so I do all this from my desktop. I would imagine scrolling on a phone would be an annoyance.

On 2nd thought, the less new threads in the Real Life Stories section, the better and safer we all are!
Only one individual can be 100% relied upon to be in your presence at all times and in all places to defend you and your family.
Act accordingly.
Daeyel
Sniper

Next

Return to Rules, Comments, Complaints, and Concerns