New Forum Request

Please read and abide by the rules you will find here.
This is also an area to post comments, complaints, and concerns regarding Utah Concealed Carry.

New Forum Request

Postby My Trigger Guard » Wed 28 Sep 2011 3:47 pm

So I just saw on a poll put up today that several people are planning on purchasing long distance shooting rifles like the 338 lapua and 50 bmg. Not to mention the people that already own such arms or even something still comprable like a .308. I see that we have a fairly large variety of forums that cover the majority of topics. Some more specialized then others and again it covers most things.

I do not know how much traffic this particular forum would get or how many people would be interested. But I was hoping to put in a request for a new forum that would revolve around Ballistics. Internal, external ballistics and long range shooting and the equipment involved in doing said. I know there are other forums out there that focus more on this but I was hoping for one here. I know this ties into the ammo bench, but thats more just about reloading and not the actual ballistics. Ballistics doesnt even have to mean long distance either, its ballistics.

I currently could not contribute a whole lot to it as I am still a student myself. In fact I have some pretty nifty excel sheets that once complete I intend to share that will have everything I need and use. They are just short in several areas mostly in long distance shooting trajectories. But perhaps others out here already could contribute, we could all learn a little more and do it together. We could easily go out into the field and confirm/deny particular items etc.

I know its a long shot request so I am not going to be disapointed if it doesnt happen, but it never hurts to ask.

See I have the first question we could work on already.

What is considered the minumum FPS for a bullet to still be considered lethal and or even penetrate at all? I know the bullet mass not just speed play a factor in this but I honestly dont know the question to this answer and I have been looking in my spare time. Call it just a curoiusity.

Or how can we make homeade ballistics gel, or homemade ballistics bone.

Do you really know what the muzzle fps is of what your firing via a chonometer or are you just trusting another source or your math. But have you confirmed it?

I could go on, but I am working on these equations and tests myself already and would be nice to work with others/discuss as well. Anyhoot Cheerio :thumbup:
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
BCI Utah Concealed Firearms Instructor

Http://MyTriggerguard.Com/
Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it.
Banjamin Franklin
My Trigger Guard
Sharp Shooter

Re: New Forum Request

Postby My Trigger Guard » Fri 30 Sep 2011 9:57 am

I am sorta suprised that there has not been any response at all by anyone. Not picking on the mods here but the members lol, just figured someone would chime in and say thats a good idea or thats a bad idea. Expecially with the thread of firearms intended to be purchased, many people are interested in long distance rifles, which would in turn mean long distance external ballistics.

here is the thread I am talking about.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12805&start=15
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
BCI Utah Concealed Firearms Instructor

Http://MyTriggerguard.Com/
Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it.
Banjamin Franklin
My Trigger Guard
Sharp Shooter

Postby Paul » Mon 03 Oct 2011 6:29 am

Too many subforums means too much clutter.
We have discussed lots of additional subforums over the years and if we had created every one somebody wanted, you would have a list of 100 subforums. So typically until thier is a huge demand or compelling reason to create a new category it ain't gonna happen. Just post where ever you think they fit best.
-Paul
http://www.myfavoritegunstore.com
http://www.cachevalleycabinetsandtops.com
NRA Life Member
Utah CFP Instructor
Utah Hunters Education Instructor
NRA Rifle and Pistol Instructor and RSO
Front Sight President (ask me about memberships)
Paul
Forum Owner

Postby divegeek » Mon 03 Oct 2011 7:47 am

Doesn't anyone much pay attention to the sub-forums anyway? I mean, I think everyone tries to make sure their new topics are in the right place, but don't most people read the site by just clicking "View new posts"?
Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby one4freedom » Mon 03 Oct 2011 8:10 am

divegeek wrote:Doesn't anyone much pay attention to the sub-forums anyway? I mean, I think everyone tries to make sure their new topics are in the right place, but don't most people read the site by just clicking "View new posts"?

That's what I do, but it was nice when I was new to the forum to be able to search around in the particular sub-forums that I was interested in. I probably wouldn't be too interested in a ballistics one, though.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IDPA SO
one4freedom
Expert Marksman

Postby GeneticsDave » Mon 03 Oct 2011 8:01 pm

The Ammo Bench might be a good place to start a thread (threads) about ballistics.
GeneticsDave
Sniper

Postby steelhawk » Wed 05 Oct 2011 5:43 pm

I've been reading some things on http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/.

A google search turned up several. Some aren't that active. I've not read anything on this one, but it has lots of recent posts: http://snipershide.com/forum/
Owner, Bear River Holsters www.BearRiverHolsters.com
Email: [email protected]

America is about to be restored!

Are you part of the Inn crowd or one of the Stable few?
steelhawk
Expert Marksman

Return to Rules, Comments, Complaints, and Concerns