Timeout Issue?

Please read and abide by the rules you will find here.
This is also an area to post comments, complaints, and concerns regarding Utah Concealed Carry.

Re: Timeout Issue?

Postby Cheyenne20 » Mon 19 Mar 2012 4:24 pm

When I've gotten the timeout message, I hit the back button on my browser, and I see all of my post's text in place. I just hit submit again, and it goes through.
The 2nd Admendment... Washington didn't use his rights to free speech to defeat the British... He shot them.
Cheyenne20
Expert Marksman

Postby mgsbigdog » Mon 19 Mar 2012 4:37 pm

Cheyenne20 wrote:When I've gotten the timeout message, I hit the back button on my browser, and I see all of my post's text in place. I just hit submit again, and it goes through.

Thats been my experience as well :dunno:
all men are justified in defending themselves,their friends,and property,and the government,from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency,where immediate appeal cannot be made to the laws,and relief afforded. D&C 134
mgsbigdog
Marksman

Postby gravedancer » Mon 19 Mar 2012 6:50 pm

Cheyenne20 wrote:When I've gotten the timeout message, I hit the back button on my browser, and I see all of my post's text in place. I just hit submit again, and it goes through.

Not me, I get an empty post
http://bit.ly/2vHUiug will get you around the auto filtering of the domain on this site
gravedancer
Sniper

Timeout Issue?

Postby JoeSparky » Mon 19 Mar 2012 9:55 pm

That works for me as well. But at times when loading the new page within the forum I'm getting the "Unknown server error" and after going back the entire page that I've not seen is gone from the "new" listing.
JoeSparky
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAGR Member
UCC
OCDO

Remember IANAL
Praying that OUR Country can be returned to it's greatness and to it's CONSTITUTION!
JoeSparky
Sniper

Postby jaredbelch » Mon 19 Mar 2012 11:17 pm

mgsbigdog wrote:

Thats been my experience as well :dunno:

Chrome saves your info, other browsers may as well.
Utah CFP Instructor
NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 801-618-1924
http://www.UtahCfpTraining.com
jaredbelch
Sniper

Postby mgsbigdog » Tue 20 Mar 2012 6:47 am

Yea. I guess I should mention I use Chrome (wired desktop), Chrome beta (Asus transformer Wi-Fi), and dolphin (Droid x2 3g/wifi) and all of them keep my post if I get sent to timeout :oops:

(Like I just did trying to submit this post)
all men are justified in defending themselves,their friends,and property,and the government,from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency,where immediate appeal cannot be made to the laws,and relief afforded. D&C 134
mgsbigdog
Marksman

Postby RustyShackleford » Tue 20 Mar 2012 8:10 am

I have had this problem on my home computer for the last three days, but unlike some I can't just back up and repost...it is lost.

took three times to post this....Had to save to clipboad to avoid re-typing.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit, IE.
If you consider yourself an American, and are not yet on a government watchlist...You're Not Trying.
RustyShackleford
Sniper

Postby morcey2 » Tue 20 Mar 2012 10:29 am

I haven't seen the issue at all on any of my for devices. Win7-64 bit, Linux, Ipad, or WinXP 32-bit. Firefox on all but the Ipad. I don't post as often as others, so that may be it.
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor.
NRA Certified Muzzleloading Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
Purveyor of bad jokes.
morcey2
Expert Marksman

Postby GeneticsDave » Tue 20 Mar 2012 11:26 am

I haven't had any issues, could it be your internet connection?
GeneticsDave
Sniper

Postby gravedancer » Tue 20 Mar 2012 1:27 pm

GeneticsDave wrote:I haven't had any issues, could it be your internet connection?

if it were the internet connection youd get a 404 error or something similar, not a generic white page with a few words of black text saying "timeout error"
http://bit.ly/2vHUiug will get you around the auto filtering of the domain on this site
gravedancer
Sniper

Postby My Trigger Guard » Tue 20 Mar 2012 3:21 pm

GeneticsDave wrote:I haven't had any issues, could it be your internet connection?

This many people? No I dont think its an internet issue lol. Or else we would all be having issues with all sorts of other things and no one has reported that.

Something has either changed either via the backend hosting service or a hosting service issue, or some setting here on the front end has been changed or restored without knowledge etc.

Paul have you by chance set off a trouble ticket to the host yet?
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
BCI Utah Concealed Firearms Instructor

Http://MyTriggerguard.Com/
Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it.
Banjamin Franklin
My Trigger Guard
Sharp Shooter

Postby B Cart » Tue 20 Mar 2012 3:32 pm

I'm still having this issue as of this afternoon. Some browsers save the post, and others don't. I keep forgetting so save my posts and have had to re-write them (including this one lol).

Mods: Thanks for all you do and I hope this isn't too hard to fix!
“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” - Jeff Cooper
B Cart
Sniper

Postby hawkwing » Tue 20 Mar 2012 3:40 pm

This has been happening a lot to me as well. I'm wondering if there is an IP address or server name in the settings somewhere that wasn't updated properly.
hawkwing
Marksman

Postby Paul » Tue 20 Mar 2012 3:53 pm

This is Jeff's department. He will get to it as soon as his work schedule allows. He is super busy with the job that pays the bills right now. Sorry for the hassle.
-Paul
http://www.myfavoritegunstore.com
http://www.cachevalleycabinetsandtops.com
NRA Life Member
Utah CFP Instructor
Utah Hunters Education Instructor
NRA Rifle and Pistol Instructor and RSO
Front Sight President (ask me about memberships)
Paul
Forum Owner

Postby gravedancer » Tue 20 Mar 2012 4:45 pm

Ok ive been doing some experimenting. It seems like the issue is some sort of session timeout that only comes into play when the user takes over a certain amount of time between clicking "reply" (or "post" on a new thread?? not sure on this one yet), and when they actually submit the reply.

If I click reply, write a quick one or 2 sentence reply, and hit submit immediately, it seems to work fine, every time.

If I click reply, get too longwinded in my reply, or switch to another tab to look up research, etc, then click submit, I get the dreaded "your request timed out. You are SCREWED BWAHAHAHA!!!" error message. I primarily use IE for browsing, and as some have discovered, it doesnt save what you wrote when you hit the back button after getting the error. But Ive tested in other browsers and the error message seems to happen regardless of platform.

I havent nailed the time on the timeout down exactly yet, but it seems to be about 1 minute. In other words, you have roughly one minute from the time you click "reply" till the time you click "submit". Anything more than that and you most likely will get the timeout.

** edit: Yeah seems to be right about 1 minute. Ive waited as long as 50 seconds between clicking "reply" and clicking "submit" and it worked without issue, but every time ive taken more than 1 minute, I get the request timed out error.
gravedancer
Sniper

PreviousNext

Return to Rules, Comments, Complaints, and Concerns