Utah Guns Forum banner

End the Post Office Gun Ban

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  D-FIN 
#1 ·
I got this from the NAGR yesterday:
I've got good news.

This upcoming Wednesday the U.S. Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs is scheduled to take up a post office reform bill (S.1486).

U.S. Senator Rand Paul is once again leading the pro-gun fight by proposing an amendment to eliminate the Post Office Gun Ban once and for all!

But ending this gun ban won't come easily.

You see, several anti-gunners serve on the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs committee, and they're preparing to fight tooth-and-nail against Senator Paul's proposal.

That means it's up to pro-gun patriots like you to stand with Senator Paul by taking action right away.

As you know, "gun-free zones" are really "criminal safezones" that only serve to provide would-be criminals with a place to find unarmed victims.

But anti-gun lawmakers rammed through a law prohibiting guns in certain federal facilities, and gun-grabbing bureaucrats at the Post Office decided by executive fiat that it includes Post Offices too.

I know it's frustrating, that government is supposed to be protecting your Constitutional right to keep-and-bear arms but blatantly denies it, even at the post office.

That's why Senator Paul and your National Association for Gun Rights are working to combat the anti-gunners and their schemes with real, meaningful pro-gun reforms.

If passed, Senator Paul's amendment would eliminate the Federal ban on carrying your firearm in the public areas of the post office, and allow you to carry just as you ordinarily would under your state's law.

Simply put, no law abiding citizen should be disarmed and placed at the mercy of would be criminals, simply for going to the post office to mail a letter.

You may remember that NAGR scored a victory when a Federal Judge struck down the ban on guns in Postal Service parking lots last year.

But the ban inside the post office is still in effect.

Our ultimate goal has always been to make the U.S. Postal Service a safer place by getting rid of their ludicrous ban on your ability to carry the tools of self-defense.

That's what Senator Paul's amendment would do.

Can I count on you to help make this a reality?

If so, please contact U.S. Senator Tom Carper, who is the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs.

U.S. Senator Tom Carper can be reached at 202-224-2441.

Urge him to support Senator Paul's amendment to end the Post Office Gun Ban.

Please do not wait to act!

Senator Rand Paul's crucial pro-gun amendment will be taken up as soon as Wednesday morning.

Take action now.
Since I haven't seen any discussion here, does anybody know if this is for real? Does it have a prayer of passing?

#3 ·
Well, I guess it is for real, but only read this if you have a very strong stomach:
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... ce-packing
Rand Paul Wants You to Come to the Post Office Packing
The Washington Post's Lisa Rein reports that Paul's "gun rights amendment would allow licensed gun owners to carry weapons inside post offices, rather than having to unholster them and keep them in the car."
You'll be able to negotiate better prices. Some conservatives are upset that the USPS has raised stamp prices. The Postal Service is a government monopoly. People can't shop around for a better price. Customers who display their weapons at the counter are likely to be in a better bargaining position.

No more long lines. Nobody likes to wait when it's time to mail a package. Customers who fire off a shot or two may find that their fellow citizens are happy to let them go first. Postal workers may be more eager to move the process along, too, so gun owners can be on their way swiftly.

#4 ·
Even the criminals who already carry into the post office whenever they please are not stupid enough to behave the way this author believes all gun owners behave. This is about one of dumbest views against legal carry I have ever read.

#7 ·
The bad news...it was voted down in committee. I sent all the nays this email:
You should apologize to all law abiding citizens who legally carry firearms for voting against Senator Paul's amendment that would have allowed us to carry on postal property. You have denied me the right to defend myself, and force me to risk becoming a felon even if I leave my firearm in the car. I would really be interested to know your rationale for the vote, considering that if someone was intent on doing evil in a Post Office, the law against firearms would not be a deterrent, but it does deny me the right to defend myself, family, or others. You really need to think about the oath you swore to support and defend the Constitution, as you obviously do not support the 2nd Amendment.

#8 ·
ObiRich said:
The bad news...it was voted down in committee. I sent all the nays this email:
You should apologize to all law abiding citizens who legally carry firearms for voting against Senator Paul's amendment that would have allowed us to carry on postal property. You have denied me the right to defend myself, and force me to risk becoming a felon even if I leave my firearm in the car. I would really be interested to know your rationale for the vote, considering that if someone was intent on doing evil in a Post Office, the law against firearms would not be a deterrent, but it does deny me the right to defend myself, family, or others. You really need to think about the oath you swore to support and defend the Constitution, as you obviously do not support the 2nd Amendment.
I posted something similar on their Facebook pages as email only gets seen by a few but many can see Facebook posts. Also those that did this tried to say they were pro gun by changing the language to allow carry in post office parking lots. This is not all we wanted but looks as though we may not need to fear parking while armed in the future at the USPS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.