H.B. 225 Primary Law Enforcement Duties for Sheriffs (Rep. R

We will try to post current legislative bills that relate to Gun Control issues in this Forum. This includes bills in the Utah Legislature and U.S. Congress.

H.B. 225 Primary Law Enforcement Duties for Sheriffs (Rep. R

Postby David Nelson » Thu 30 Jan 2014 10:43 am

According to H.B. 225 Primary Law Enforcement Duties for Sheriffs (Rep. Ray, P.) (http://le.utah.gov/~2014/bills/static/HB0225.html):

This bill enacts language designating the sheriff as the primary law enforcement authority in the incorporated and unincorporated county.

This bill:
. enacts language designating the sheriff as the primary law enforcement authority in the incorporated and unincorporated county.

Any ideas how this might benefit RKBA? If there are benefits, Salt Lake County is a net loss under this bill. But, it has been for years.
David Nelson
Utah

Is it more treasonous to violate the Constitution or to expose the violation?
David Nelson
Expert Marksman

Re: H.B. 225 Primary Law Enforcement Duties for Sheriffs (Re

Postby RustyShackleford » Thu 30 Jan 2014 11:43 am

I have not read the bill but I like the Idea of an official directly elected by the people to have a handhold over the other law enforcement that is hired by corporations (cities). I believe there is no State law required for this. This standard for the County sheriff goes back a long time, but a lot of Sheriffs should be reminded of this. They also can trump the fed agencies legally but many are reluctant to make waves, it is not easy protecting the citizen from bureaucrats especially if you can get equipment (armored vehicles and surplus toys and grants $$$) for cheap as long as you are willing to play their game.
If you consider yourself an American, and are not yet on a government watchlist...You're Not Trying.
RustyShackleford
Sniper

Postby David Nelson » Thu 30 Jan 2014 11:45 am

RustyShackleford wrote:I have not read the bill but I like the Idea of an official directly elected by the people to have a handhold over the other law enforcement that is hired by corporations (cities). I believe there is no State law required for this. This standard for the County sheriff goes back a long time, but a lot of Sheriffs should be reminded of this. They also can trump the fed agencies legally but many are reluctant to make waves, it is not easy protecting the citizen from bureaucrats especially if you can get equipment (armored vehicles and surplus toys and grants $$$) for cheap as long as you are willing to play their game.

That was my thinking, too. Now, if we can just encourage sheriffs in the state to stand up (against wayward federal and local law-enforcement agencies) for their citizens.
David Nelson
Utah

David Nelson
Expert Marksman

Postby bagpiper » Thu 30 Jan 2014 12:25 pm

The most obvious effect for RKBA would be official designation of who the "CLEO" is for purposes of federal forms dealing with Class 3 weapons that require a CLEO signature for transfer. Someone with more experience in this area than I could elaborate.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper

Postby RustyShackleford » Fri 31 Jan 2014 7:59 am

But then you have this where apparently a County Sheriff does not like that a small town PD Chief likes the US Constitution...and associates with other like minded "Terroists" like Sheriff Richard Mack (my words)
http://www.usaprepares.com/government-corruption-2/tsa-harasses-shane-harger-constitutional-chief-of-police-usaprpepares-com-instructor-chief-and-entire-olice-department-wrongfully-fired
If you consider yourself an American, and are not yet on a government watchlist...You're Not Trying.
RustyShackleford
Sniper

Postby David Nelson » Fri 14 Mar 2014 8:40 am

This bill was passed by the Utah Legislature and has been prepared for the governor's signature or veto.
David Nelson
Utah

David Nelson
Expert Marksman

Return to Utah & Federal Bills For or Against Gun Control