Utah Guns Forum banner

H.B. 225 Primary Law Enforcement Duties for Sheriffs (Rep. R

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  David Nelson 
#1 ·
According to H.B. 225 Primary Law Enforcement Duties for Sheriffs (Rep. Ray, P.) (http://le.utah.gov/~2014/bills/static/HB0225.html):

This bill enacts language designating the sheriff as the primary law enforcement authority in the incorporated and unincorporated county.

This bill:
. enacts language designating the sheriff as the primary law enforcement authority in the incorporated and unincorporated county.
Any ideas how this might benefit RKBA? If there are benefits, Salt Lake County is a net loss under this bill. But, it has been for years.

#2 ·
I have not read the bill but I like the Idea of an official directly elected by the people to have a handhold over the other law enforcement that is hired by corporations (cities). I believe there is no State law required for this. This standard for the County sheriff goes back a long time, but a lot of Sheriffs should be reminded of this. They also can trump the fed agencies legally but many are reluctant to make waves, it is not easy protecting the citizen from bureaucrats especially if you can get equipment (armored vehicles and surplus toys and grants $$$) for cheap as long as you are willing to play their game.

#3 ·
RustyShackleford said:
I have not read the bill but I like the Idea of an official directly elected by the people to have a handhold over the other law enforcement that is hired by corporations (cities). I believe there is no State law required for this. This standard for the County sheriff goes back a long time, but a lot of Sheriffs should be reminded of this. They also can trump the fed agencies legally but many are reluctant to make waves, it is not easy protecting the citizen from bureaucrats especially if you can get equipment (armored vehicles and surplus toys and grants $$$) for cheap as long as you are willing to play their game.
That was my thinking, too. Now, if we can just encourage sheriffs in the state to stand up (against wayward federal and local law-enforcement agencies) for their citizens.

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.