HB 276 just passed the house

We will try to post current legislative bills that relate to Gun Control issues in this Forum. This includes bills in the Utah Legislature and U.S. Congress.

Re: HB 276 just passed the house

Postby Photocell » Sun 30 Mar 2014 8:15 am

It was sent to the governor on the 21st. So 10 days not including Sundays and I assume the 21st, then Wednesday April 2nd would be the effective date.
Photocell
Marksman

Postby morcey2 » Sun 30 Mar 2014 8:36 am

Creek wrote:So as of yesterday this became law right?

I can't find anywhere showing that the gov signed it. It looks like it went to the Governor on the 21st, which would put the 10-days at the 31st. Then you add in two days for the intervening Sundays, and I it goes out to April 2nd. If he doesn't sign it by then, it would become law and take effect 20 days after that. I think.

ETA: what photocell said. I need to type faster. :)
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor.
NRA Certified Muzzleloading Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
Purveyor of bad jokes.
morcey2
Expert Marksman

Postby DaKnife » Sun 30 Mar 2014 2:10 pm

What they said.
SPOOOOOOON!!!

WARNING: This comment may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm, in every other state it may increase intelligence and knowledge.
DaKnife
Sniper

Postby Car Knocker » Sun 30 Mar 2014 3:24 pm

According to this presentation http://le.utah.gov/lrgc/billtolaw.pdf the governor has 20 days after adjurnmaent to make his decision on whether to sign or veto a bill and the bill becomes effective 60 days after adjounment (if not vetoed). I did not take the time to research in greater depth.
Don

-->insert witty and/or inspirational message here<--
Car Knocker
Posse

Postby Photocell » Sun 30 Mar 2014 7:10 pm

Your are correct 20 days which would make the deadline the 13th, I guess I just read above and thought back to the recent Jan Brewer veto in Arizona over the anti discrimination bill and the 10 day deadline and didn't think that through. Good catch as always Car Knocker.

ETA: Actually it would still remain April 2nd, since the bill passed on the 13th and it makes no exemptions to Sundays.
Photocell
Marksman

Postby rpyne » Sun 30 Mar 2014 8:45 pm

Utah Constitution wrote:Article VI, Section 25. [Publication of acts -- Effective dates of acts.]

All acts shall be officially published, and no act shall take effect until sixty days after the adjournment of the session at which it passed, unless the Legislature by a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, shall otherwise direct.
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech as the 1964 Republican Presidential candidate.
rpyne
Expert Marksman

Postby rpyne » Sun 30 Mar 2014 8:48 pm

Car Knocker wrote:According to this presentation http://le.utah.gov/lrgc/billtolaw.pdf the governor has 20 days after adjurnmaent to make his decision on whether to sign or veto a bill and the bill becomes effective 60 days after adjounment (if not vetoed). I did not take the time to research in greater depth.

Utah Constitution wrote:Article VII, Section 8. [Bills presented to governor for approval and veto -- Items of appropriation -- Legislative session to consider vetoed items.]

(1) Each bill passed by the Legislature, before it becomes a law, shall be presented to the governor. If the bill is approved, the governor shall sign it, and thereupon it shall become a law. If the bill is disapproved, it shall be returned with the governor's objections to the house in which it originated. That house shall then enter the objections upon its journal and proceed to reconsider the bill. If upon reconsideration the bill again passes both houses by a yea and nay vote of two-thirds of the members elected to each house, it shall become a law.

(2) If any bill is not returned by the governor within ten days after it has been presented to the governor, Sunday and the day it was received excepted, it shall become a law without a signature. If legislative adjournment prevents return of the bill, it shall become a law unless the governor within twenty days after adjournment files the objections to it with such officers as provided by law.
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech as the 1964 Republican Presidential candidate.
rpyne
Expert Marksman

Postby DaKnife » Sun 30 Mar 2014 9:19 pm

Thanks for finding that Rpyne. I knew I'd read 10 days and wasn't looking forward to digging for where I'd found it. Makes you wonder about that other source and how it came up with info contrary to the state constitution.
SPOOOOOOON!!!

WARNING: This comment may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm, in every other state it may increase intelligence and knowledge.
DaKnife
Sniper

Postby chem031 » Mon 31 Mar 2014 8:38 am

Car Knocker wrote:According to this presentation http://le.utah.gov/lrgc/billtolaw.pdf the governor has 20 days after adjurnmaent to make his decision on whether to sign or veto a bill and the bill becomes effective 60 days after adjounment (if not vetoed). I did not take the time to research in greater depth.

So, 60 days after adjournment puts us at May 13th as to when the bill is actually law, unless vetoed before April 2nd.
I'm not a lawyer; I'm a chemist. But I do know how to read.
myuniqueunderstanding.blogspot.com
thurstonbrothers.blogspot.com
chem031
Novice

Postby Utah_patriot » Mon 31 Mar 2014 11:16 am

Just got signed happy dance

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Zachary
801-448-7574
Utah_patriot
Sharp Shooter

Postby Photocell » Mon 31 Mar 2014 11:18 am

Signed and sent to LG for filing!
Photocell
Marksman

Postby kdt1970 » Tue 01 Apr 2014 11:28 am

morcey2 wrote:

I can't find anywhere showing that the gov signed it. It looks like it went to the Governor on the 21st, which would put the 10-days at the 31st. Then you add in two days for the intervening Sundays, and I it goes out to April 2nd. If he doesn't sign it by then, it would become law and take effect 20 days after that. I think.

ETA: what photocell said. I need to type faster. :)

http://www.utah.gov/governor/news_media ... ticle=9851
kdt1970
Marksman

Postby Snurd » Tue 01 Apr 2014 4:10 pm

A step in the right direction for sure. I'm glad he signed it.

(Sent from iSnurd)
Snurd
Posse

Postby ObiRich » Wed 02 Apr 2014 4:07 pm

Snurd wrote:A step in the right direction for sure. I'm glad he signed it.

(Sent from iSnurd)

Still doesn't make up for him vetoing the gutted constitutional carry law from last year.
Spent 24 years in the USAF defending our rights...don't intend to stop now
ObiRich
Expert Marksman

Postby Snurd » Wed 02 Apr 2014 4:10 pm

ObiRich wrote:
Snurd wrote:A step in the right direction for sure. I'm glad he signed it.

(Sent from iSnurd)

Still doesn't make up for him vetoing the gutted constitutional carry law from last year.

No. That was pretty lame.

(Sent from iSnurd)
Snurd
Posse

PreviousNext

Return to Utah & Federal Bills For or Against Gun Control