HB 276 just passed the house

We will try to post current legislative bills that relate to Gun Control issues in this Forum. This includes bills in the Utah Legislature and U.S. Congress.

Re: HB 276 just passed the house

Postby bagpiper » Wed 02 Apr 2014 4:12 pm

Snurd wrote:
ObiRich wrote:
Still doesn't make up for him vetoing the gutted constitutional carry law from last year.

No. That was pretty lame.

Why do you think he supports the Buy My Vote campaign? He doesn't want to face GOP delegates in convention in two years.

And folks like Bennett (and his son), Mike Leavitt, Romney's sons, and Kirk Jowers never want to face GOP delegates in convention.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper

Postby Photocell » Wed 02 Apr 2014 4:19 pm

ObiRich wrote:
Snurd wrote:A step in the right direction for sure. I'm glad he signed it.

(Sent from iSnurd)

Still doesn't make up for him vetoing the gutted constitutional carry law from last year.

On that note, would this law make for a future constitutional carry bill to be unneeded? This has been the only downside of this bill sitting on the back of my mind since announced. I can see that possibly now that OC is "completely" safe that some may not see need for another try at constitutional carry.
Photocell
Marksman

Postby Car Knocker » Wed 02 Apr 2014 5:48 pm

Photocell wrote:On that note, would this law make for a future constitutional carry bill to be unneeded? This has been the only downside of this bill sitting on the back of my mind since announced. I can see that possibly now that OC is "completely" safe that some may not see need for another try at constitutional carry.

Still need a permit to carry concealed, something that CC would eliminate except for those who want to CCW in other states that recognize the Utah CFP.
Don

-->insert witty and/or inspirational message here<--
Car Knocker
Posse

Postby bagpiper » Wed 02 Apr 2014 6:00 pm

Car Knocker wrote:Still need a permit to carry concealed, something that CC would eliminate except for those who want to CCW in other states that recognize the Utah CFP.

The other thing ConCarry does is help set the tone. This is subtle, but important.

Do we really suppose that Heller would have been decided at is was had it been heard 30 years earlier before shall issue laws made self-defense with handguns common? From the 60s to the 90s, at least, it was very rare for average, law-abiding persons to carry handguns for self-defense. It was almost impossible to do so legally unless you were a businessman or well connected politically.

When the SCOTUS ruled against executing criminals who committed their crimes before they turned 18 years old, they cited the majority of State laws to that effect to support their ruling that such executions were "cruel and unusual".

Between out-of-State travel and compliance with federal GFSZ laws in Utah (we've got a lot of kids and a lot of schools), the vast majority of our population will continue to need a permit to carry to comply with existing laws. A few folks in rural areas could get by without a permit as long as they don't intend to carry into town (some towns don't have more than 1000' between the school and the only main road in town) or into our suburban and urban areas.

I believe that passage of ConCarry will have very little if any immediate, practical effect for the vast majority of Utahns.

But I believe it would have a significant, even crucial, longer term effect as it would help continue, maybe accelerate the passage of similar laws elsewhere and help set the tone that carrying a gun outside the home is a fundamental right not subject to government licensing. That could ultimately play an important role in court cases about federal all kinds of federal and State gun laws.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper

Postby ObiRich » Thu 03 Apr 2014 6:46 pm

Car Knocker wrote:
Photocell wrote:On that note, would this law make for a future constitutional carry bill to be unneeded? This has been the only downside of this bill sitting on the back of my mind since announced. I can see that possibly now that OC is "completely" safe that some may not see need for another try at constitutional carry.

Still need a permit to carry concealed, something that CC would eliminate except for those who want to CCW in other states that recognize the Utah CFP.

Still need a permit to open carry with "one in the pipe" too.
Spent 24 years in the USAF defending our rights...don't intend to stop now
ObiRich
Expert Marksman

Postby LibertyNut » Tue 13 May 2014 12:30 am

And now it is law. :type:
LibertyNut
Novice

Previous

Return to Utah & Federal Bills For or Against Gun Control