Petition to remove suppressors NFA

We will try to post current legislative bills that relate to Gun Control issues in this Forum. This includes bills in the Utah Legislature and U.S. Congress.

Petition to remove suppressors NFA

Postby Durdenz » Sun 13 Jul 2014 10:56 am

In America we may reasonably hope that the people will never cease to regard the right of keeping and bearing arms as the surest pledge of their liberty"St George Tucker
Durdenz
Marksman

Re: Petition to remove suppressors NFA

Postby Snurd » Sun 13 Jul 2014 11:20 am

Signed.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby AlanM » Sun 13 Jul 2014 12:08 pm

Me too and reposted on two other forums.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM
Sharp Shooter

Postby Photocell » Sun 13 Jul 2014 12:46 pm

I've signed it already, the problem is even if we are able to meet the I think 100,000 signatures required for the president to make comment on, and that's really all it is that the president will comment on the subject. Our current administration won't or will slightly slime their way around it. Just like the national story of Marine Sgt. Tahmooressi a marine held in a Mexican prison for "accidentally" taking arms across the border, that had the same style petition signed by way more than the minimum required, our president still won't come out and even comment on it. (coward) if you truly want and believe that suppressors should not be an an NFA item and I personally do. The only real course of action is to get in contact with as many congress members as you can and tell them we want a bill drafted to remove suppressors from the list. That is the only route that may accomplish anything. Sure sign the petition, but send a few emails, & make a few phone calls to go with it. Spread the word to the uniformed that suppressors aren't like Hollywood and totally silence gun shots rather a noise dampener to help hearing & keep noise level down at ranges, etc.

Just my $.02 but with this administration these White House petitions are unfortunately a waste of time.
Photocell
Marksman

Postby RustyShackleford » Sun 13 Jul 2014 9:22 pm

This is the type where I have to decide Rusty Shackleford...or one of my other assumed names :shades:
If you consider yourself an American, and are not yet on a government watchlist...You're Not Trying.
RustyShackleford
Sniper

Postby FrankenHollow » Mon 14 Jul 2014 10:53 am

Thanks for the link. I'll think about signing. But, it's not likely to even get a response.

---

Be careful, Photocell. We have some members here that truly despise NFA items - some that even believe an outright ban is warranted on many NFA items (such as SBSs and machine guns).

If you get too vocal, they'll come out of the woodwork and sent this thread into the gutter.
I need a new signature. This one sucks.
FrankenHollow
Sniper

Postby D-FIN » Mon 14 Jul 2014 11:00 am

signed and passed on.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sniper

Postby althor » Mon 14 Jul 2014 1:33 pm

I'm not signing for many of the reasons discussed here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php ... R-petition
althor
Sharp Shooter

Postby bagpiper » Mon 14 Jul 2014 1:57 pm

althor wrote:I'm not signing for many of the reasons discussed here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php ... R-petition

Obama and his fellow gun grabbers may be a lot of things, but stupid and ignorant are not two of them.

He and his are well aware of the laws surrounding suppressors and other items that require gun tax stamps. It is one thing to acknowledge that the petition will almost certainly do no good. It is quite another to assume that save for said petition, the administration and other committed gun grabbers are not fully aware of the current laws. We should never under-estimate the intelligence, strategy, and ability of our opponents.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper

Postby althor » Mon 14 Jul 2014 2:16 pm

bagpiper wrote:
althor wrote:I'm not signing for many of the reasons discussed here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php ... R-petition

Obama and his fellow gun grabbers may be a lot of things, but stupid and ignorant are not two of them.

He and his are well aware of the laws surrounding suppressors and other items that require gun tax stamps. It is one thing to acknowledge that the petition will almost certainly do no good. It is quite another to assume that save for said petition, the administration and other committed gun grabbers are not fully aware of the current laws. We should never under-estimate the intelligence, strategy, and ability of our opponents.

Charles

Part of my problem is that I don't know how things really work. The question I have is what exactly would it take to fix the law? Is it something that needs some minimum amount of support just to get it addressed, but then once the door is opened the unintended consequences leave us with something exponentially worse than we already have? Is it better to wait until there is a more favorable political climate? Is that possible? Should the "sporting purpose" clause be tackled first?

I can imagine a situation where once this is addressed, we could see the cost of tax stamps increased to $2k instead of seeing silencers removed.
althor
Sharp Shooter

Postby Photocell » Mon 14 Jul 2014 3:07 pm

FrankenHollow wrote:
Be careful, Photocell. We have some members here that truly despise NFA items - some that even believe an outright ban is warranted on many NFA items (such as SBSs and machine guns).

If you get too vocal, they'll come out of the woodwork and sent this thread into the gutter.

:jawdrop: Suppressors would be a great start!.............. and, I'll leave it at that. :wink: Thanks for the notice.
Photocell
Marksman

Postby UtahJarhead » Mon 14 Jul 2014 7:05 pm

I have no problem telling those that want an outright ban on them that they can go pound sand. I'm not careful about it, either. :) If they don't want to own one, then don't own one.

My 2A is not about need. There is no NEED to limit it so eat something truly untasty.
DO NOT talk to cops! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle Instructor
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby Hawk87 » Mon 14 Jul 2014 11:30 pm

You guys really want to make this happen, a petition is not the way to go about it. Signing it does zero good, other then it gives nice warm fuzzy feelings.

If we really want to make NFA items more accessible to the average person, I have a few suggestions. The main point though is that we are not going to get the whole cake in one bill. Small steps are how we make real changes in this country. Also, if we can tack changes onto other bills and sneak them in, all the better. With that in mind,

-Move suppressors and SBR's to the AOW category, this takes them from a 200 dollar tax stamp, to a 5 dollar one.
-Put a time limit on the ATF to approve the tax stamps, similar to how CCW permits are here in Utah.
-get rid of the sporting clause for imports.

If we could pull these three things off, we would be in a much better position to gradually loosen the restrictions, so that we could take items off the list altogether.

I think we get caught up in the short term "Because 'Murica!" mindset, and forget that this is a long term battle. Chess, not checkers.
All it takes for evil to succeed in the world is for good men to do nothing
Hawk87
Sniper

Postby UtahJarhead » Tue 15 Jul 2014 5:17 am

Hawk87 wrote:You guys really want to make this happen, a petition is not the way to go about it. Signing it does zero good, other then it gives nice warm fuzzy feelings.

And you still give those petitions more credit than I do.

Why data mine when you can promise the gemstones the world and they come to you?
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby UtahJarhead » Tue 15 Jul 2014 5:20 am

Hawk87 wrote:-Move suppressors and SBR's to the AOW category, this takes them from a 200 dollar tax stamp, to a 5 dollar one.

Nah. It's not the $200 that people hate, but the 6-9 month wait.

-Put a time limit on the ATF to approve the tax stamps, similar to how CCW permits are here in Utah.

Nope, not gonna happen. Nobody will vote for it and that will also force us to allocate more resources to the ATF, increasing their size.

-get rid of the sporting clause for imports.

I agree, but I don't believe that's possible any time soon. It's rooted in SCOTUS precedent.

I agree with all of your post... I just don't think it's feasible at the current moment in time. That doesn't mean I wouldn't mind making it happen somehow.
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Next

Return to Utah & Federal Bills For or Against Gun Control