Utah Guns Forum banner

Petition to remove suppressors NFA

10K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  UTguntrustJ.D. 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Me too and reposted on two other forums.

#4 ·
I've signed it already, the problem is even if we are able to meet the I think 100,000 signatures required for the president to make comment on, and that's really all it is that the president will comment on the subject. Our current administration won't or will slightly slime their way around it. Just like the national story of Marine Sgt. Tahmooressi a marine held in a Mexican prison for "accidentally" taking arms across the border, that had the same style petition signed by way more than the minimum required, our president still won't come out and even comment on it. (coward) if you truly want and believe that suppressors should not be an an NFA item and I personally do. The only real course of action is to get in contact with as many congress members as you can and tell them we want a bill drafted to remove suppressors from the list. That is the only route that may accomplish anything. Sure sign the petition, but send a few emails, & make a few phone calls to go with it. Spread the word to the uniformed that suppressors aren't like Hollywood and totally silence gun shots rather a noise dampener to help hearing & keep noise level down at ranges, etc.

Just my $.02 but with this administration these White House petitions are unfortunately a waste of time.

#6 ·
Thanks for the link. I'll think about signing. But, it's not likely to even get a response.

---

Be careful, Photocell. We have some members here that truly despise NFA items - some that even believe an outright ban is warranted on many NFA items (such as SBSs and machine guns).

If you get too vocal, they'll come out of the woodwork and sent this thread into the gutter.

#9 ·
althor said:
I'm not signing for many of the reasons discussed here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php ... R-petition
Obama and his fellow gun grabbers may be a lot of things, but stupid and ignorant are not two of them.

He and his are well aware of the laws surrounding suppressors and other items that require gun tax stamps. It is one thing to acknowledge that the petition will almost certainly do no good. It is quite another to assume that save for said petition, the administration and other committed gun grabbers are not fully aware of the current laws. We should never under-estimate the intelligence, strategy, and ability of our opponents.

Charles

#10 ·
bagpiper said:
althor said:
I'm not signing for many of the reasons discussed here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php ... R-petition
Obama and his fellow gun grabbers may be a lot of things, but stupid and ignorant are not two of them.

He and his are well aware of the laws surrounding suppressors and other items that require gun tax stamps. It is one thing to acknowledge that the petition will almost certainly do no good. It is quite another to assume that save for said petition, the administration and other committed gun grabbers are not fully aware of the current laws. We should never under-estimate the intelligence, strategy, and ability of our opponents.

Charles
Part of my problem is that I don't know how things really work. The question I have is what exactly would it take to fix the law? Is it something that needs some minimum amount of support just to get it addressed, but then once the door is opened the unintended consequences leave us with something exponentially worse than we already have? Is it better to wait until there is a more favorable political climate? Is that possible? Should the "sporting purpose" clause be tackled first?

I can imagine a situation where once this is addressed, we could see the cost of tax stamps increased to $2k instead of seeing silencers removed.

#11 ·
FrankenHollow said:
Be careful, Photocell. We have some members here that truly despise NFA items - some that even believe an outright ban is warranted on many NFA items (such as SBSs and machine guns).

If you get too vocal, they'll come out of the woodwork and sent this thread into the gutter.
:jawdrop: Suppressors would be a great start!.............. and, I'll leave it at that. :wink: Thanks for the notice.

#12 ·
I have no problem telling those that want an outright ban on them that they can go pound sand. I'm not careful about it, either. :) If they don't want to own one, then don't own one.

My 2A is not about need. There is no NEED to limit it so eat something truly untasty.

#13 ·
You guys really want to make this happen, a petition is not the way to go about it. Signing it does zero good, other then it gives nice warm fuzzy feelings.

If we really want to make NFA items more accessible to the average person, I have a few suggestions. The main point though is that we are not going to get the whole cake in one bill. Small steps are how we make real changes in this country. Also, if we can tack changes onto other bills and sneak them in, all the better. With that in mind,

-Move suppressors and SBR's to the AOW category, this takes them from a 200 dollar tax stamp, to a 5 dollar one.
-Put a time limit on the ATF to approve the tax stamps, similar to how CCW permits are here in Utah.
-get rid of the sporting clause for imports.

If we could pull these three things off, we would be in a much better position to gradually loosen the restrictions, so that we could take items off the list altogether.

I think we get caught up in the short term "Because 'Murica!" mindset, and forget that this is a long term battle. Chess, not checkers.

#14 ·
Hawk87 said:
You guys really want to make this happen, a petition is not the way to go about it. Signing it does zero good, other then it gives nice warm fuzzy feelings.
And you still give those petitions more credit than I do.

Why data mine when you can promise the gemstones the world and they come to you?

#15 ·
Hawk87 said:
-Move suppressors and SBR's to the AOW category, this takes them from a 200 dollar tax stamp, to a 5 dollar one.
Nah. It's not the $200 that people hate, but the 6-9 month wait.

-Put a time limit on the ATF to approve the tax stamps, similar to how CCW permits are here in Utah.
Nope, not gonna happen. Nobody will vote for it and that will also force us to allocate more resources to the ATF, increasing their size.

-get rid of the sporting clause for imports.
I agree, but I don't believe that's possible any time soon. It's rooted in SCOTUS precedent.

I agree with all of your post... I just don't think it's feasible at the current moment in time. That doesn't mean I wouldn't mind making it happen somehow.

#16 ·
The $200 is pretty lame too. If we have to pay that much money, we should be getting the stamp within a couple weeks at the very most, not up to a year. That money should be going towards hiring more people to get the job done. Then once they catch up, drop the fee to just pay for the program.

I think suppressors and sbr's should be taken off the list, if not all the items. I realize that will either take a lot of time, or may never happen.

Sent from iSnurd

#20 ·
UtahJarhead said:
I agree with all of your post... I just don't think it's feasible at the current moment in time. That doesn't mean I wouldn't mind making it happen somehow.
To be honest none of it really is right now. However it has a better chance of succeeding that taking SBR's or suppressor off the list altogether. Really with the way things are at the national level, it would be pretty hard to get any pro gun legislation through. The real progress is at the state level, and in the the SCOTUS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.