Utah Guns Forum banner

HB 260 Constitutional Carry

9K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Photocell 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Yes, one and the same.

#6 ·
Word is that Gov. Herbert is threatening to veto this bill again, as he did last year.

POLITE and BRIEF phone calls or emails to the governor's office encouraging him to support our RKBA by supporting HB 260 would be in order. Ditto for similar POLITE and BRIEF phone calls or emails to your legislators and legislative leadership.

The governor may be contacted at:

The Office of Governor Gary R. Herbert
350 North State Street, Suite 200
PO Box 142220
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-2220
 Phone: 801-538-1000
 Toll Free: 800-705-2464

You can find your State Senator at the Senate Roster page.

Similarly, your State Representative can be found at the =http://le.utah.gov/house2/representatives.jsp]House Roster page

Charles

#8 ·
And.... it appears to be dead. :(

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2165849-155/governor-cuts-deal-to-avert-showdown

Herbert, a gun owner and concealed-carry permit holder, vetoed a nearly identical bill in 2013, arguing that the state's current concealed-weapons-permit program prevents people convicted of crimes from carrying concealed firearms and benefits public safety.
Yup, it's a good thing the criminals will respect permit laws. I was also worried that they would start carrying if this went through. :lol3: I wonder if there's a way we could convince them to follow other laws too? What's the secret with concealed weapons laws that makes them work?

#9 ·
notsosharpshot said:
And.... it appears to be dead. :(

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2165849-155/governor-cuts-deal-to-avert-showdown

Herbert, a gun owner and concealed-carry permit holder, vetoed a nearly identical bill in 2013, arguing that the state's current concealed-weapons-permit program prevents people convicted of crimes from carrying concealed firearms and benefits public safety.
Yup, it's a good thing the criminals will respect permit laws. I was also worried that they would start carrying if this went through. :lol3: I wonder if there's a way we could convince them to follow other laws too? What's the secret with concealed weapons laws that makes them work?
Wow, that makes Herbert sound like a complete imbecile.

#13 ·
So, is there anybody else here who will never EVER vote for Herbert for anything?

What he's saying is, even though it's worked fine in other states, he doesn't trust the people of Utah enough to "allow" it here. I find condescending attitudes from my presumed betters in the ruling class completely unacceptable.

I don't blame Oda. If he can water it down a little more and take a step in the right direction, that's better than nothing.

#14 ·
manithree said:
I don't blame Oda. If he can water it down a little more and take a step in the right direction, that's better than nothing.
In reality I blame the Legislature. Two years ago it passed both houses with a supposedly veto proof majority, and then when Herbert vetoed it anyway, they didn't convene a special session to override. Either some legislators voted for it, knowing that Herbert would veto and then they "switched sides" so that their official vote showed they voted for it, or the leadership suddenly lost their spine. Either way, it could have and should have been a done deal two years ago.

#15 ·
And now Utah will go from leading the nation in respecting our rights to trailing the pack as Constitutional Carry sweeps the nation (And not with the silly Utah unloaded limit this bill included.)

#16 ·
Perhaps we should beg Oda to bring it back, and force Herbert to veto it again right at the beginning of the 2016 election cycle.

#18 ·
DaKnife said:
Perhaps we should beg Oda to bring it back, and force Herbert to veto it again right at the beginning of the 2016 election cycle.
Well, since Oda pulled it for "reworking" it probably will be considered in next year's legislature, which is the one at the beginning of the election cycle.

#19 ·
ObiRich said:
DaKnife said:
Well, since Oda pulled it for "reworking" it probably will be considered in next year's legislature, which is the one at the beginning of the election cycle.
I really hope this is Oda's Real Plan...and End Run to get rid of (never saw a federal funding plan he didn't like) Herbert as our Gov. once and for all.

#20 ·
Slightly off topic, perhaps, but haven't Utah's governors usually been less-than-enamored with the right of citizens to carry?

My recollection is that Gov. Leavitt wasn't exactly thrilled with the change to the concealed carry law in 1995, but signed it anyway because he knew that wasn't a battle he could win.

Same was true when he signed changes to the law that clarified the law allowing carry in schools (2003).

I don't recall Walker or Huntsman being particularly "gun friendly" either. Herbert seems to be from the same mold as prior governors.

#21 ·
Is THIS just a Represenitive trying to get their name out to the firearms community, or could this really get traction? And why does short barreled need to be changed to "sawed off"? I haven't compared this writing to Rep. Oda's 256 but it seems to me that this one would have less chance than his. Can someone maybe give me some insight? Maybe their saying let's put it to the governor and let him veto it again. I don't know, it's still in committee.

#22 ·
I guess if I was to try and answer my own question regarding the shotgun reference, it would be because short barreled shotguns are legal through the NFA. And maybe sawed off is a reference to ilegal SBS? But if that is the case why does that even need to be there? Are shotguns not considered firearms in legal talk?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.