Utah Guns Forum banner

SB 256 Constitutional Carry

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  bagpiper 
#1 ·
So I posted this question in viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20064, the house bill Rep. Oda brought out of committee but dropped prior to getting any further, due to the Governor still being stubborn on the issue. So it looks like Sen. Hinkins (not familiar with him) has proposed a similar bill. Link HERE SB 256 this bill is in committee today. Do any of you see this bill gaining any traction? Or since Odas drop of HB 260 are there going to be less takers unto this bill? I know I personally would like to see it put on the Governors desk again, Veto or not.

#3 ·
ObiRich said:
The cynic in me says it won't matter as long as Herbert is still governor.
What timing:
Utah's governor says he would veto a resurrected bill that would allow anyone over 21 to carry an unloaded, concealed gun without a permit.

Republican Gov. Gary Herbert told reporters Tuesday afternoon that he thinks Utah's gun laws work well as they are.

A Senate committee voted 4-1 on Tuesday morning to approve the proposal, which now moves to the full Senate for consideration.

It mirrors a similar one introduced by a House Republican earlier this year.

That lawmaker, Rep. Curtis Oda, agreed to withdraw his proposal as part of a deal with Herbert.

Herbert vetoed a similar proposal two years ago.

Without a permit, Utah residents can openly currently carry an unloaded weapon. A gun is considered unloaded in Utah if there's no round in the chamber.
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=33682526&nid=75 ... d=queue-15

#4 ·
I'd really like to hear Herbert's logic for it. I mean if I can legally carry it open "Utah unloaded" why should it suddenly become a crime if I cover it with a shirt or jacket? It's not like they are doing away with permits altogether, and personally I would still have one just for the reciprocity when I travel.

#5 ·
There's no logic behind a decision to deny this type of carry. There are a number of arguments, but as in all such cases, the citations are based on law-abiding folks following the law while the threats cited are criminals (who by definition are not following the law) commit or purport to commit heinous crimes against society.

#9 ·
LibertyNut said:
Is there any way to encourage action on this bill before "the midnight (tomorrow) hour?"
A short, very short, email or text message to your Senator and Rep (House members still need to vote on it, but it is Senate leadership that prioritizes Senate bills in the House) is the best way to encourage them now unless you are physically at the capital to send a note into them on the floor.

Senate Contact info here.

House contact info here.

Charles

#11 ·
D-FIN said:
The problem in not getting it passed teh house but past Herbert who has already said he would veto it becasue "Our current firearms laws work fine the way they are."
It we can get it past the legislature, we can then lobby Herbert. With enough heat, he may sign it. If not, his veto causes him that much more heartburn in the next convention.

Of course, if self-proclaimed "pro-gun" groups like UGR give him cover by asking him to veto it (because it isn't a perfect bill), our job is harder.

Charles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.