Utah Guns Forum banner

Bill introduced to remove supressors from NFA

7K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  AlanM 
#1 ·
ASA ANNOUNCES HEARING PROTECTION ACT: A BILL TO REMOVE SUPPRESSORS FROM THE NFA

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The American Suppressor Association (ASA) is pleased to announce the introduction of the Hearing Protection Act (HPA) by Rep. Matt Salmon (AZ-05). This historic piece of legislation will remove suppressors from the purview of the National Firearms Act (NFA), replacing the antiquated federal transfer process with an instantaneous NICS background check. The HPA also includes a provision to refund the $200 transfer tax to applicants who purchase a suppressor after October 22, 2015.

#3 ·
Snurd said:
I really hope this passes. Not sure it will, but it would be awesome.
I would settle for this being a step in the direction toward getting it passed someday. For some reason, some bills need several tries before they finally pass.

The first bill is ignored, the second one is laughed at, the third is fought, and the fourth one becomes law (apologies to Gandhi).

#5 ·
It would be amazing if this law passed. However, I can't see obama ever signing this into law. Would likely warrant a veto, in his eyes.

I'm currently waiting for my first suppressor. Makes me sad to think if this passes, I'll have missed out on the refund provision, as my check was cashed before OCT 22. :(

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#7 ·
How little attention? It's been plastered across every gun forum and community I'm on. I don't think it's getting much actual discussion because the usual response is. "Yes please please please! and then about 15 plus 1's or likes or dittos."

#8 ·
DaKnife said:
How little attention? It's been plastered across every gun forum and community I'm on. I don't think it's getting much actual discussion because the usual response is. "Yes please please please! and then about 15 plus 1's or likes or dittos."
+1 I have seen it a quite a bit.

Silencerco just sent me an email about it. They have a form you can fill out on their "Fight The Noise" website that will send a letter to your representatives. You can also add in your own experiences with suppressors to make it a bit more personal.

Here is the link:

FightTheNoise.Org

Sent from iSnurd

#9 ·
Snurd said:
DaKnife said:
+1 I have seen it a quite a bit.

Silencerco just sent me an email about it. They have a form you can fill out on their "Fight The Noise" website that will send a letter to your representatives. You can also add in your own experiences with suppressors to make it a bit more personal.

Here is the link:

FightTheNoise.Org

Sent from iSnurd
Did you get the little tape with #FightTheNoise to put over your mouth and post to social media to?

#18 ·
Maybe we should write to any left wing congress critters also:
This article is eight years old but still relevant:
A Democrat's guide to why firearm sound suppressors ("silencers") should be made easier to obtain.

Or if nothing else "borrow" some of the arguments.

Firearm suppressors, colloquially and inaccurately known as "silencers", are basic safety equipment when operating a firearm, as their use prevents both hearing damage and reduces the noise pollution of firing ranges. Due to a little-known section of Federal law called the National Firearms Act, their possession has been all but criminalized.

(This article refers to these devices by the correct "suppressors" instead of the more colloquial and inaccurate "silencers", as they do no such thing.)

Suppressors have the benefit of both decreasing the likelihood of hearing loss and decreasing noise pollution from hunting and shooting ranges. In the UK, Europe, and Scandinavia, they recognize the health and environmental benefits of suppressors, so they are sold over the counter without much regulation at all.

Democrats, as the party that pushes for safer health and environmental regulations, should embrace any effort to lessen the regulations surrounding firearm suppressors, preferably by making them subject to the same regulations as ordinary firearms - a simple instant background check and no onerous tax. This is called a "Title I" firearm. Let's explore a bit...
BTW the author makes a good argument for wearing electronic earmuffs while hunting outdoors.
First for hearing protection and, although not mentioned, IMHO sound amplification of quiet possible targets or other hunters.

#19 ·
Found this on another site is response to suppressor bill in congress:

It's a billboard in New Zealand:

Now, realizing that the NZ$ equals US$0.66 that means that that JW15 .22lr rifle with scope and "silencer" is US$196.

EDIT: I just checked their listing online for the Norinco JW15 package. It's now NZ$369.

HOWEVER!!!!!! Take a look at their site and particularly their ammo prices:

50 rounds of Winchester T-22 is NZ$12.99.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.