Utah Guns Forum banner

Mike Lee question regarding S.556

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  DaKnife 
#1 ·
I received this from NSSF yesterday:
This morning, the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee voted to advance the Bipartisan Sportsmen's Act of 2015 (S.556) The legislation was reported out of the committee with overwhelming bipartisan support. Sen. Mike Lee (Utah) cast the sole recorded vote opposing the measure. Today's vote represents an important step toward enactment of this important legislation which will become eligible for consideration by the entire Senate subsequent to additional provisions of the Act being reported out of the Environment and Public Works Committee. Thank you to all of the NSSF members and hunters and shooters who took the time to contact your Senators to urge advancement of the Bipartisan Sportsmen's Act. Our industry's voice was heard and we made a difference.
Does anyone know why he opposed the legislation?

#2 ·
Nope but I'd trust his vote over Sen Murkowski's. It's also interesting that it was introduced back in Feb and only now gets a committee vote? Don't expect it to get far with that rate of progress.

#4 ·
I'll note that while nothing jumped out as a benefit. I did find it rather vague when it came to allowing regulations to close off lands to Hunting, fishing and recreational shooting. Let the EPA declare bullets a pollution and boom all our BLM land (where I predominantly hunt many years) in Utah is off limits. You can bet the state would complain and I doubt it would stand but I see the potential in that bill.

Question for Marshall Dodge, anything you could post from the NSSF as to why we want this passed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.