Utah Guns Forum banner

Permitless carry bill revived

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ObiRich 
#1 ·
Looks like it is back up for this session

A Utah lawmaker has revived a bill that would allow adults 21 and over to carry a concealed, unloaded gun without a permit, a proposal that Republican Gov. Gary Herbert vetoed two years ago and may reject again.

Rep. Curtis Oda, a Clearfield Republican sponsoring the bill, said there's still broad support for the proposal among legislators, who in 2013 passed the measure with three-fourths of both the House and Senate in support.
Looks like an empty chamber is still a requirement :roll:

#3 ·
We've identified Gov. Herbert as the main roadblock to preventing any progress on permit-free concealed carry this year.

From GOUtah!'s latest alert:

Please take a moment to contact Gov. Gary Herbert and ask him to support SB97, Sen. Hinkins' Constitutional Carry bill with no anti-gun amendments. This bill is being held up in the Senate Rules Committee, and we are told that the main reason is because the Governor has threatened to veto it.

Politicians pay attention to the number of letters and phone calls they receive on a given issue. Below are the contact info for the Governor, plus a sample letter that you can feel free to copy and use, or alter as you see fit. Please phone the Governor's office and/or send him your comments via webmail and/or regular mail.

Gov. Gary Herbert
350 North State Street, Suite 200
PO Box 142220
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-2220
Phone: (801)538-1000
Toll Free: (800)705-2464​

USSC is asking for the same action from Gun owners.

Charles

#4 ·
Thanks for the notification, I just called and left a message for the Governor to support this bill. It may help that I am a Precinct Chair and represent a few people other than myself, and I did make mention of that in my message to him.

#5 ·
Is he dumb enough to threaten a Veto just weeks before the Primary? He may not have to go through the Caucus but he does have to survive the Primary (admittedly easier to do than the caucuses).

#6 ·
Well it seems just the threat was enough to stop it yet again. My Senator emailed me this today:

Dear Mr. DaKnife,

Thank you for your feedback. I support our 2nd amendment rights. SB97 has been sent back to the Rules Committee for further discussion. At this point in the session, this has effectively tabled the bill and will not have time to come before the Senate or House before the end of the session. The legislature may address this issue later, so I appreciate you sharing your view on this issue. Please continue to stay involved.

F Ann Millner
Utah State Senator
Senate District 18
:crying: And Utah falls further back into the crowd that we once lead with pride.

#7 ·
And Idaho is looking like they are going to get it. At this rate the Brady bunch are going to start giving Utah D's instead of F's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.