2017 HB177 PURCHASE OF FIREARM AMENDMENTS

We will try to post current legislative bills that relate to Gun Control issues in this Forum. This includes bills in the Utah Legislature and U.S. Congress.

2017 HB177 PURCHASE OF FIREARM AMENDMENTS

Postby bagpiper » Mon 23 Jan 2017 5:13 pm

HB 177 by Paul Raul, http://le.utah.gov/~2017/bills/static/HB0177.html , appears to be housekeeping bill that simplifies the current language on allowing currently employed Utah peace officers to obtain a concealed carry permit or to buy a gun, without having to go through (and I presume pay for) the usual background check.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper

Re: 2017 HB177 PURCHASE OF FIREARM AMENDMENTS

Postby Snurd » Mon 23 Jan 2017 5:18 pm

So a LEO can get a CFP without a background check and purchase a gun without a background check. But if the LEO doesn't get the CFP, he has to pay for the background check if he buys a gun more than once in two years. Is that correct? Kind of strange.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby JoeSparky » Mon 23 Jan 2017 9:50 pm

Special privilege for LEO (government agent) by State (Government).

Government employees should not be granted special privileges over and above the general populace. IF the government employee wants a CFP let them pay for it and go through the background check regular persons go through. Then they can have the same privilege of purchasing a firearm using the CFP without the background check and not be limited to only one firearm in 2 yrs.
JoeSparky
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAGR Member
UCC
OCDO

Remember IANAL
Praying that OUR Country can be returned to it's greatness and to it's CONSTITUTION!
JoeSparky
Sniper

Postby JoeSparky » Mon 23 Jan 2017 9:58 pm

Snurd wrote:So a LEO can get a CFP without a background check and purchase a gun without a background check. But if the LEO doesn't get the CFP, he has to pay for the background check if he buys a gun more than once in two years. Is that correct? Kind of strange.

Sent from iSnurd

How are they going to enforce the no background check for one gun every 2 years? Honor system? Government database?
JoeSparky
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAGR Member
UCC
OCDO

Remember IANAL
Praying that OUR Country can be returned to it's greatness and to it's CONSTITUTION!
JoeSparky
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Tue 24 Jan 2017 1:55 am

JoeSparky wrote:
Snurd wrote:So a LEO can get a CFP without a background check and purchase a gun without a background check. But if the LEO doesn't get the CFP, he has to pay for the background check if he buys a gun more than once in two years. Is that correct? Kind of strange.

Sent from iSnurd

How are they going to enforce the no background check for one gun every 2 years? Honor system? Government database?

Maybe they get a golden coupon every two years. :lol2:

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby Luv10mm » Tue 24 Jan 2017 11:29 am

Snurd wrote:Maybe they get a golden coupon every two years. :lol2:

Aw, like poor Charlie, although his was kind of a one-shot deal.

I think that LEOs should have to go through the same hoops as the rest of us. It's not like all those gun purchases are for their on-the-job safety.

I recently made a new gun purchase and was harshly reminded of what a joke the process is. :disgusted:
Luv10mm
Expert Marksman

Postby Karl » Tue 24 Jan 2017 11:49 am

Interesting proposed state legislation.

Not relevant for most.
Karl
Marksman

Postby bagpiper » Tue 24 Jan 2017 5:53 pm

I don't like special privileges for the government types either. And I'm no expert.

But I wonder if this isn't a bit like the way permit holders can buy a gun without the usual background check, or at least not paying for the background check.

Is this a special privilege? Or is a perfectly reasonably policy in light of the fact that permit holders are essentially background checked every day by the permit system?

I don't know how often cops get their backgrounds checked. I hope it is often enough that exempting them from the usual background check for purchase of a gun or obtaining a permit isn't so much a special privilege, as just a natural thing to do. And if they simply don't have to pay for the background check or to submit fingerprints to the FBI when they have already done so as part of their government job, I won't begrudge that. While cops are fairly well paid by several important metrics, at the end of the day, they are not overpaid for a lot of what they endure. To not charge them ~$35 for a redundant and unnecessary submission of fingerprints or $7.50 for a redundant background check to purchase isn't unreasonable.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper

Return to Utah & Federal Bills For or Against Gun Control