Utah Guns Forum banner

2017 HB177 PURCHASE OF FIREARM AMENDMENTS

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bagpiper 
#1 ·
HB 177 by Paul Raul, http://le.utah.gov/~2017/bills/static/HB0177.html , appears to be housekeeping bill that simplifies the current language on allowing currently employed Utah peace officers to obtain a concealed carry permit or to buy a gun, without having to go through (and I presume pay for) the usual background check.

Charles

#2 ·
So a LEO can get a CFP without a background check and purchase a gun without a background check. But if the LEO doesn't get the CFP, he has to pay for the background check if he buys a gun more than once in two years. Is that correct? Kind of strange.

Sent from iSnurd

#3 ·
Special privilege for LEO (government agent) by State (Government).

Government employees should not be granted special privileges over and above the general populace. IF the government employee wants a CFP let them pay for it and go through the background check regular persons go through. Then they can have the same privilege of purchasing a firearm using the CFP without the background check and not be limited to only one firearm in 2 yrs.

#4 ·
Snurd said:
So a LEO can get a CFP without a background check and purchase a gun without a background check. But if the LEO doesn't get the CFP, he has to pay for the background check if he buys a gun more than once in two years. Is that correct? Kind of strange.

Sent from iSnurd
How are they going to enforce the no background check for one gun every 2 years? Honor system? Government database?

#5 ·
JoeSparky said:
Snurd said:

Sent from iSnurd
How are they going to enforce the no background check for one gun every 2 years? Honor system? Government database?
Maybe they get a golden coupon every two years. :lol2:

Sent from iSnurd

#6 ·
Snurd said:
Maybe they get a golden coupon every two years. :lol2:
Aw, like poor Charlie, although his was kind of a one-shot deal.

I think that LEOs should have to go through the same hoops as the rest of us. It's not like all those gun purchases are for their on-the-job safety.

I recently made a new gun purchase and was harshly reminded of what a joke the process is. :disgusted:

#8 ·
Snurd said:
I don't like special privileges for the government types either. And I'm no expert.

But I wonder if this isn't a bit like the way permit holders can buy a gun without the usual background check, or at least not paying for the background check.

Is this a special privilege? Or is a perfectly reasonably policy in light of the fact that permit holders are essentially background checked every day by the permit system?

I don't know how often cops get their backgrounds checked. I hope it is often enough that exempting them from the usual background check for purchase of a gun or obtaining a permit isn't so much a special privilege, as just a natural thing to do. And if they simply don't have to pay for the background check or to submit fingerprints to the FBI when they have already done so as part of their government job, I won't begrudge that. While cops are fairly well paid by several important metrics, at the end of the day, they are not overpaid for a lot of what they endure. To not charge them ~$35 for a redundant and unnecessary submission of fingerprints or $7.50 for a redundant background check to purchase isn't unreasonable.

Charles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.