2017 HB 252 Disposal of Firearms

We will try to post current legislative bills that relate to Gun Control issues in this Forum. This includes bills in the Utah Legislature and U.S. Congress.

2017 HB 252 Disposal of Firearms

Postby bagpiper » Thu 02 Feb 2017 8:52 pm

Rep. Daw is sponsoring HB 252, Disposal of Firearms which can also be known as the "Sales of Police Evidence Guns" bill, http://le.utah.gov/~2017/bills/static/HB0252.html

This bill requires that when a firearm in police custody is no longer needed, and it cannot be returned to its rightful owner (convicted criminal, unknown person, etc) that the firearm is to be sold, rather than destroyed. The firearm will either be sold at public auction, or will be sold to an FFL who has contracted with the State.

I believe this is a bill worthy of support.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper

Re: 2017 HB 252 Disposal of Firearms

Postby Snurd » Thu 02 Feb 2017 8:54 pm

I was talking to a friend of mine that lives in Texas about this recently. I think that Texas is also wanting to do this. If I remember correctly they wanted to do it to boost revenue.
Snurd
Posse

Re: 2017 HB 252 Disposal of Firearms

Postby jfwright1955 » Fri 03 Feb 2017 6:48 am

Thanks for the update, Charles.

Seems like a much better way of disposing of them given, I assume, the existing procedure requires them to be destroyed? Maybe not a huge revenue-maker for the State, I'm sure, but I guess when you factor in the savings from destroying them plus the revenue generated by their sale it would at least move the process from the red to the black column?

And, why not recycle them back into the law abiding firearms community.
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Return to Utah & Federal Bills For or Against Gun Control