2010 Utah Legislative Summary

We will try to post current legislative bills that relate to Gun Control issues in this Forum. This includes bills in the Utah Legislature and U.S. Congress.

2010 Utah Legislative Summary

Postby Jeff Johnson » Sat 13 Mar 2010 5:09 pm

Here is the 2010 Utah Legislative Summary, as found on the Utah Shooting Sports Council website. I've reorganized it a bit by status:

FINAL UPDATE - 31 March 2010: All pro-gun bills passed by the legislature have now been signed by Gov. Herbert. Please send him a message to tell him thanks!

• Passed, signed by Governor

Bill number and linkBill TitleStatusSponsorUSSC Comments
    SB 11Utah Made FirearmsSIGNED INTO LAW BY GOV. HERBERT 2/26/2010Sen. Margaret DayonThis is a federalism issue as well as a gun issue. This declares that guns and ammunition made in Utah are subject to state regulations and not subject to federal laws under the pretext of the "Interstate Commerce Clause."
    USSC STRONGLY SUPPORTS
    HB 214, 1st SubstituteConcealed Firearms Permit ModificationsSIGNED INTO LAW BY GOV. HERBERT 3/22/2010Rep. Rebecca LockhartMostly administrative changes to reflect changed titles of state agencies.
    USSC SUPPORTS
    SB 36, 1st SubstituteWolf ManagementSIGNED INTO LAW BY GOV. HERBERT 3/22/2010Sen. Allen Christensen"requires the division to manage the wolf to avoid the establishment of a viable pack of wolves within the areas of the state where the wolf is not listed as endangered..."
    Although not strictly a gun issue, this is important to protect game animal popluations for hunters.
    USSC STRONGLY SUPPORTS
    HB 380Firearms Laws AmendmentsSIGNED INTO LAW BY GOV. HERBERT 3/29/2010Rep. Steven SandstromThis addresses liability issues from legal firearm use.
    USSC STRONGLY SUPPORTS
    SB 247, 3rd SubstituteJohn M. Browning State HolidaySIGNED INTO LAW BY GOV. HERBERT 3/26/2010Sen. Mark MadsenThis USSC requested bill creates a state holiday to honor John M. Browning.
    This will be observed on January 24, 2011.
    USSC STRONGLY SUPPORTS
    HB 78, 3rd SubstituteWeapons RevisionsSIGNED INTO LAW BY GOV. HERBERT 3/30/2010Rep. Steve SandstromClarifies what constitutes "brandishing" and when weapons can be used for self defense.
    Also clarifies that "possession of a visible firearm" without additional threatening behavior is not a crime.
    USSC STRONGLY SUPPORTS

• Did not pass this session

Bill number and linkBill TitleStatusSponsorUSSC Comments
    HB 301Disorderly Conduct AmendmentsPassed House Committee 7-0 on 2/17
    Awaiting vote by full House, but returned to Rules Committee on 3/4
    Probably dead for this session.
    Rep. Carl WimmerClarifies that First Amendment and Second Amendment protected activities cannot be charged as disorderly conduct.
    USSC STRONGLY SUPPORTS
    HB 342Innkeeper's Rights Act ModificationsAwaiting assignment to a House Committee.
    Essentially dead for this session.
    Rep. Steven SandstromThis USSC requested bill fixes an archaic provision that allowed innkeepers to refuse to rent to anyone with a gun.
    USSC STRONGLY SUPPORTS
    SB 98Dangerous Weapons Restrictions AmendmentsEssentially dead for this session.Sen. David HinkinsMakes technical change so that a person charged (instead of indicted) with a felony is prohibited from firearms purchase or possession. Additional draft changes made this even worse, adding "Lautenberg" type restrictions.
    USSC STRONGLY OPPOSES
    SB 268Firearms Confiscation AmendmentsEssentially dead for this session.Sen. Chris ButtarsUnknown content, but Sen. Buttars is a very strong supporter of gun rights.

(NOTE: Since I keep updating the this OP with the latest status, and added detailed info in green, it is now a mix of the USSC alert and my updates. Is that confusing? I hope not.)
IANAL => I Am Not A Lawyer
NRA Life Member | USSC | CCRKBA | UtahConcealedCarry.com
Jeff Johnson
Site Admin

Re: 2010 Utah Legislative Summary

Postby smo » Sat 13 Mar 2010 5:33 pm

Thanks for the update! Very informative.
smo
Expert Marksman

Postby xRapidDavex » Sat 13 Mar 2010 5:37 pm

I'm mad 301 didn't pass. What a joke. That would have shut down the UVU's "case".
It's not so much that the gun does or doesn't do what it's supposed to, it's simply not running anymore. So if it doesn't run, what I do is sort of wang on it until it does.

-Clint Smith [on malfunction clearances]
xRapidDavex
Sniper

Postby MarshallDodge » Sat 13 Mar 2010 9:44 pm

xRapidDavex wrote:I'm mad 301 didn't pass. What a joke. That would have shut down the UVU's "case".

So are you saying that our legislative system is a joke or that the UVU is a joke?
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby xRapidDavex » Sat 13 Mar 2010 9:47 pm

I'm saying it's a joke we would need anything in the first place that clarifies that First Amendment and Second Amendment protected activities cannot be charged as disorderly conduct. It's an even bigger joke that a bill that would do such that did not pass.
It's not so much that the gun does or doesn't do what it's supposed to, it's simply not running anymore. So if it doesn't run, what I do is sort of wang on it until it does.

-Clint Smith [on malfunction clearances]
xRapidDavex
Sniper

Postby MajorNickmo » Sun 14 Mar 2010 12:56 am

Thanks Jeff.
NRA Pistol Instructor & RSO
Utah CFP Instructor

CEO & Co-Founder
http://www.UtahGunExchange.com
MajorNickmo
Expert Marksman

Postby Snaggle » Sun 14 Mar 2010 1:27 am

Great summery. Thanks Jeff.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Thomas Jefferson circa 1776
www.utahccwcarry.com
Snaggle
Sharp Shooter

Postby MarshallDodge » Sun 14 Mar 2010 6:38 pm

xRapidDavex wrote:I'm saying it's a joke we would need anything in the first place that clarifies that First Amendment and Second Amendment protected activities cannot be charged as disorderly conduct. It's an even bigger joke that a bill that would do such that did not pass.

I believe the issue here was that they ran out of time, no joking. ;)
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby Jeff Johnson » Fri 19 Mar 2010 9:06 pm

I've updated the OP to add actual current status in Green.

I also corrected an erroneous link, plus I added another bill that I hadn't included in the OP (the one for Wolf Management).

Some of the bills that the update said were waiting action by the Governor weren't actually on his desk yet. They were still in the pipeline somewhere. This helps us know which bills really are on the Governor's desk.
Jeff Johnson
Site Admin

Postby GreenStreet » Sat 20 Mar 2010 10:05 am

MarshallDodge wrote:
xRapidDavex wrote:I'm mad 301 didn't pass. What a joke. That would have shut down the UVU's "case".

So are you saying that our legislative system is a joke or that the UVU is a joke?

That's a slow ball pitch, if I've ever seen one. :lol:
NRA Lifetime Member
GreenStreet
Marksman

Postby Jeff Johnson » Fri 26 Mar 2010 10:47 pm

Updated the OP again. Since the last time, HB 214, 1st Substitute got signed by Gov. Herbert.
All the rest of the bills that hadn't quite reached the governor's desk have been delivered now, and are awaiting Gov. Herbert's signature.

I think that it's time to send him polite messages to sign these four bills.
Jeff Johnson
Site Admin

Postby Jeff Johnson » Sat 27 Mar 2010 10:58 am

Only three pro-gun bills left on the governor's desk. The status was updated on SB 36, 1st Substitute (Wolf Management) to show that it was signed.
Jeff Johnson
Site Admin

Postby Jeff Johnson » Sat 27 Mar 2010 11:53 am

I think that it's time for everyone to write to Gov. Herbert to urge him to sign the last three pro-gun bills on his desk. I just did so. Here's my letter:
Dear Governor Herbert,

I am writing to respectfully ask you to sign three bills that are on your desk. These are:

1. HB 78, 3rd Substitute (Weapons Revisions). This bill makes important changes to clarify state law for public and personal safety, particularly clarifying what is lawful in self-defense to prevent an unlawful assault or threatened assault. Studies by Gary Kleck, PhD (http://www.criminology.fsu.edu/p/faculty-gary-kleck.php), have shown that most often, the mere presentation of a firearm is enough to stop an assault without a shot being fired. This important bill clarifies that it is not illegal in Utah to stop an assault in this manner.

2. HB 380 (Firearms Laws Amendments). This bill removes liability from property owners who allow persons with concealed firearm permits to carry on their property. This bill actually enhances the rights of property owners while at the same time enhancing the safety of Utahns who choose to legally carry a firearm for self-defense.

3. S.B. 247 Third Substitute (John M. Browning Commemorative Day). This bill honors one of the most famous Utahns in history and is particularly appropriate at this time, because it is slated to establish the holiday on the 100th anniversary of what is arguably the most popular handgun design ever, the Colt 1911, which was the standard-issue sidearm in the U.S. military from 1911 until the late 1980s. It still continues to be one of the most popular handguns around the world.

Please support the right to keep and bear arms by signing all three of these bills into law.

Thank you!
Jeff Johnson
Smithfield, Utah
Jeff Johnson
Site Admin

Postby Jeff Johnson » Mon 29 Mar 2010 4:47 pm

The status has been updated. Gov Herbert has signed two more of the bills into law, HB 380 & SB 247, 3rd Substitute.

Only one left!! Please write to Gov Herbert and ask him to sign this last pro-gun bill that is on his desk.
Jeff Johnson
Site Admin

Postby Nuttycomputer » Mon 29 Mar 2010 8:50 pm

Jeff Johnson wrote:The status has been updated. Gov Herbert has signed two more of the bills into law, HB 380 & SB 247, 3rd Substitute.

Only one left!! Please write to Gov Herbert and ask him to sign this last pro-gun bill that is on his desk.

Just need to correct the dates on those two to March. I'm very pleased he signed HB 380. I believe it makes a good precedent for employees who wish to carry but removing the liability from Employers, if that person has a permit.
Jay (West Jordan)
Nuttycomputer
Expert Marksman

Next

Return to Utah & Federal Bills For or Against Gun Control