No more AutoZone for me.

This is where to post the names of places to boycott because they have anti-gun, anti-freedom stances or policies. Any posts advocating boycotts must explain the reasons for the boycotts including, if possible, documentary proof, such as links to business web sites or news articles.

Re: No more AutoZone for me.

Postby bagpiper » Mon 03 Dec 2012 3:26 pm

UtahJarhead wrote:It was two years ago when that happened. The employee kept their job, got paid leave, and was offered councelling. That's the point.

Which is wonderful. A regional company actually had the good sense not to enforce the stated penalties for a violation of a policy. The next time I'm in Oregon and in need of a cup of coffee, I know where to support a less anti-RKBA/anti-self-defense coffee stand.

I'm still left wondering if there is an actual pro-RKBA (or even demonstrably less-anti-RKBA) alternative to Autozone.

And as others have pointed out, the anti-gun policy likely remains in place at the coffee chain. Which means the guy or gal who gets caught carrying prior to needing the gun faces dismissal. This of course greatly reduces the odds that the employee will be armed when s/he actually needs it. Would it be grand if we could predict the future well enough to know what days we'd need to be armed, to wear a seat belt, or to have medical or homeowners insurance. If I were that good, I wouldn't carry a gun or wear a seat belt those days, I'd simply avoid going out (or even to the location where harm was to befall me) on those days and safe a whole lot of hassle. I carry a gun, wear a seat belt, and pay for life, health, home, and auto insurance year round precisely because I can't predict the future well enough to eliminate certain risks.

I suppose it is possible to send a message that especially egregious anti-RKBA conduct will result in a boycott. But I think that takes something more than just saying such and such a business is anti-RKBA when almost all similar business are no less anti-.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper

Postby 1cogfrog » Mon 03 Dec 2012 11:04 pm

I guess I am overly blessed to work for 2 different employers that respect the RKBA. One is a State Tech College, where the ability to carry a firearm with a concealed permit has been discussed with the entire staff present during our summer institute training session on active shooter scenarios.

The other is a family owned machine shop where the owner, shop manager, and at least one other employee have their CCP, and the shop manager is carrying almost daily. Sounds like I may be in the minority, which is sad.

frog
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
Benjamin Franklin

The 5000 Year Leap
1cogfrog
Marksman

Postby MisterB » Tue 04 Dec 2012 2:11 pm

I've never been a fan of autozone, I've always felt that their staff was under trained and just plain rude.

On the side subject of companies that don't allow employees to carry - I'm currently working at eBay and I'm not even allowed to have a pocket knife visible - it's a "No Weapons" campus. So my 1911 stays locked in a lockbox in my car while I'm at work.
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson
MisterB
Marksman

Postby UtahJarhead » Tue 04 Dec 2012 3:26 pm

MisterB wrote:I've never been a fan of autozone, I've always felt that their staff was under trained and just plain rude.

On the side subject of companies that don't allow employees to carry - I'm currently working at eBay and I'm not even allowed to have a pocket knife visible - it's a "No Weapons" campus. So my 1911 stays locked in a lockbox in my car while I'm at work.

What they don't know won't hurt em! Personal preference.
DO NOT talk to cops! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle Instructor
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby Car Knocker » Tue 04 Dec 2012 7:51 pm

I like the sheriff's comments quoted in a different article:
The sheriff said he was disappointed to hear that McLean lost his job on account of stopping the robbery.

“That’s certainly unfortunate,” he said. “They should be doing something to reward that young man instead of firing him.”

Sheriff Diggs said AutoZone has also sent an unintended message to the community.

“The company has now sent a message to every would-be robber out there – ‘Hey we’re open for business and unarmed. Come on in and take our money,’” he said.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/to ... bbery.html
Don

-->insert witty and/or inspirational message here<--
Car Knocker
Posse

Postby CarynDW » Tue 04 Dec 2012 8:46 pm

I wonder--

If the robber had, for whatever reason, walked out of the building with the manager at gun point, and this employee engaged him while outside instead of inside, would it have magically been ok? Those 30 seconds or so of confrontation marred their gun-free air?

I think every business has the right to institute a no-gun policy for their employees, but this is ridiculous. They aren't imbeciles, I believe they can take some time to make judgement calls on individual situations. I don't really do much of the car shopping, but it won't be too difficult to convince my husband to stay away. O'Reilly's is closer anyway.
CarynDW
Novice

Postby UtahJarhead » Wed 20 Feb 2013 1:27 pm

The second amendment was created to prevent the GOVERNMENT from denying you that right.
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby gravedancer » Wed 20 Feb 2013 2:43 pm

CarynDW wrote: They aren't imbeciles, I believe they can take some time to make judgement calls on individual situations. I don't really do much of the car shopping, but it won't be too difficult to convince my husband to stay away. O'Reilly's is closer anyway.

The problem with employers making judgement calls, is that it opens them up to discrimination litigation if they make a different judgement in a similar situation down the road. That is why most companies go with blind and strict adherence to policy.
http://bit.ly/2vHUiug will get you around the auto filtering of the domain on this site
gravedancer
Sniper

Postby MisterB » Wed 20 Feb 2013 3:08 pm

UtahJarhead wrote:
MisterB wrote:I've never been a fan of autozone, I've always felt that their staff was under trained and just plain rude.

I've got kids to support and I don't want one accidental bend or exposure to make it so my kids go hungry. When I have the opportunity to change careers to one that is more 2a friendly I will do it in a heartbeat. Til that day comes - the risk isn't worth it. If I'm gunned down by an active shooter at work the Life insurance comes into play and I'm sure that my kids will be taken care of. Priorities.
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson
MisterB
Marksman

Postby UtahJarhead » Wed 20 Feb 2013 3:47 pm

MisterB wrote:
UtahJarhead wrote:

I've got kids to support and I don't want one accidental bend or exposure to make it so my kids go hungry. When I have the opportunity to change careers to one that is more 2a friendly I will do it in a heartbeat. Til that day comes - the risk isn't worth it. If I'm gunned down by an active shooter at work the Life insurance comes into play and I'm sure that my kids will be taken care of. Priorities.

Hence the words "Personal preference."
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby jentzschman » Wed 20 Feb 2013 6:40 pm

I will avoid this place at all cost. Granted, if I have an emergency, then they will get my business, but if its just everyday items then I will no longer buy from them.

Thanks for posting this.
jentzschman
Novice

Previous

Return to Boycott List