GEICO

This is where to post the names of places to boycott because they have anti-gun, anti-freedom stances or policies. Any posts advocating boycotts must explain the reasons for the boycotts including, if possible, documentary proof, such as links to business web sites or news articles.

GEICO

Postby Bushmaster73 » Tue 22 Jan 2013 9:32 pm

Found this on Facebook, thought all y'all would like to know that GEICO is anti-gun.
Bushmaster73
Marksman

Re: GEICO

Postby Snurd » Tue 22 Jan 2013 9:51 pm

:disgusted:

(Sent from iSnurd)
Snurd
Posse

Postby DaKnife » Tue 22 Jan 2013 10:53 pm

Well their Facebook page is full of people asking if it's true so we should have confirmation or a denial in a very short time.
SPOOOOOOON!!!

WARNING: This comment may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm, in every other state it may increase intelligence and knowledge.
DaKnife
Sniper

Postby Bushmaster73 » Tue 22 Jan 2013 11:50 pm

It's amazing how fast word of this is spreading, their facebook page is being overrun by people telling them where to go :mrgreen:
Bushmaster73
Marksman

Postby Zacharia » Wed 23 Jan 2013 10:35 pm

I was inspired to make my first meme tonight :dancing:

Zacharia
Sniper

Postby DaKnife » Thu 24 Jan 2013 1:49 am

Still not fully resolved but it's hit Snopes with GEICO giving a really weak answer. http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/geico.asp
SPOOOOOOON!!!

WARNING: This comment may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm, in every other state it may increase intelligence and knowledge.
DaKnife
Sniper

Postby MichaelD » Thu 24 Jan 2013 8:04 am

I've had a personal boycott of GEICO ever since Car and Driver magazine revealed they were buying lidar guns and passing them out to police departments.

Admittedly, though, they treated me very fairly when one of their customers t-boned my car back in Sept 2002.
S&W M&P9
S&W M&P9c
pistol-training.com
The M&P Endurance Gun
Dr. Gary K. Roberts' list of recommended SD ammo

Carry guns are like work trucks: who cares if they get beat up a little as long as they work when you need them to.
MichaelD
Sniper

Postby UtahJarhead » Thu 24 Jan 2013 9:25 am

For the record, GEICO didn't drop his policy for political reasons.

It was dropped for financial reasons. He didn't release to them that it was for firearms transportation at the start when he got the policy. They are very clearly dropping him because it's economically feasible to do so as being too risky. Think about it... would you insure an item that is being used to transport items that EXPLODE? GEICO bans all kinds of risky businesses, like pizza drivers, etc.
DO NOT talk to cops! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle Instructor
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby Car Knocker » Thu 24 Jan 2013 10:22 am

] He didn't release to them that it was for firearms transportation at the start when he got the policy...Think about it... would you insure an item that is being used to transport items that EXPLODE? GEICO bans all kinds of risky businesses, like pizza drivers, etc. wrote:Think about it... would you insure an item that is being used to transport items that EXPLODE? GEICO bans all kinds of risky businesses, like pizza drivers, etc.

I wasn't aware that firearms exploded. Does this mean that GEICO will not insure hunters, target shooters or those who carry defensive firearms because of those exploding firearms?
Don

-->insert witty and/or inspirational message here<--
Car Knocker
Posse

Postby UtahJarhead » Thu 24 Jan 2013 10:25 am

There's a huge difference and you know it. Someone that transports a container of ANFO one weekend is vastly different than a van that carries a pallet of it every other day for years on end. They're using it for a business that they do not cover because it's too much risk.
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby Snaggle » Thu 24 Jan 2013 10:35 am

That's why there are companies that specialize in business insurance vs personal insurance. GEICO is more of a personal insurance.

Sounds like this guy was using his personal vehicle for business use and when Geico found out, they dropped him. He was pissed and decided to use the Internet as a weapon after telling half truths.

All a business decision and it appears they were not making any kind of 2a statement. Did they drop all policy holders that have firearms in the home?

Sent from my iPhone
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Thomas Jefferson circa 1776
www.utahccwcarry.com
Snaggle
Sharp Shooter

Postby Car Knocker » Thu 24 Jan 2013 11:16 am

UtahJarhead wrote:There's a huge difference and you know it. Someone that transports a container of ANFO one weekend is vastly different than a van that carries a pallet of it every other day for years on end. They're using it for a business that they do not cover because it's too much risk.

Does Short Lane, a maker of chamber adaptors, transport pallets of ANFO on a daily basis? I doubt it. At this point, we don't even know that Short Lane even uses their vehicle to transport firearms; the cancellation notice merely states the cancellation is because the vehicle "does not meet our underwriting guidelines because it is used in conjunction with a company that deals in the weapons industry". No mention of transporting weapons, ammunition or things that go BOOM. No mention that GEICO is cancelling because the vehicle is being used commercially (even though the policy appears to be written to a company, Short Lane). What is emphasized is "weapons industry".

To conclude that GEICO didn't drop Short Lane for political reasons solely on the basis of a post on some forum by someone named "theigmilitia" who talked to some unknown GEICO representative seems a bit premature, in my opinion. I would like to see something more definitive before I absolve GEICO of political conniving in this incident.
Don

-->insert witty and/or inspirational message here<--
Car Knocker
Posse

Postby UtahJarhead » Thu 24 Jan 2013 11:47 am

You were ready to crucify them based on one person's statement, but vindication or clarification isn't feasible. Got it.
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby DaKnife » Thu 24 Jan 2013 12:14 pm

Your point is vaild UtahJarhead, but what started this wasn't just a statement but a picture of the termination notice. All we have in response so far is a hearsay comment by someone with NO visible connection to the original letter or to GEICO. GEICO's PR dept is failing big time here. Snopes got a vague reply that told us nothing. Other than that there isn't word one about this from GEICO on FB, twitter, their blog, or their official press release page.

This company is failing the PR game right now. If the info from this Theigmilitia is correct why the heck hasn't GEICO made a public statement to the facts? Obviously they haven't been watching what happened to the Eastern Sports show.
SPOOOOOOON!!!

DaKnife
Sniper

Postby jaredbelch » Thu 24 Jan 2013 12:52 pm

DaKnife wrote:Your point is vaild UtahJarhead, but what started this wasn't just a statement but a picture of the termination notice. All we have in response so far is a hearsay comment by someone with NO visible connection to the original letter or to GEICO. GEICO's PR dept is failing big time here. Snopes got a vague reply that told us nothing. Other than that there isn't word one about this from GEICO on FB, twitter, their blog, or their official press release page.

This company is failing the PR game right now. If the info from this Theigmilitia is correct why the heck hasn't GEICO made a public statement to the facts? Obviously they haven't been watching what happened to the Eastern Sports show.

Agreed - they are actively responding to compliments on their Facebook page but ignoring the questions and complaints. I'd love a more thorough response than what we have seen. I'm not canceling my policy yet but it's not off the table.
Utah CFP Instructor
NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 801-618-1924
http://www.UtahCfpTraining.com
jaredbelch
Sniper

Return to Boycott List