Comcast pulls ads that feature firearms!

This is where to post the names of places to boycott because they have anti-gun, anti-freedom stances or policies. Any posts advocating boycotts must explain the reasons for the boycotts including, if possible, documentary proof, such as links to business web sites or news articles.

Re: Comcast pulls ads that feature firearms!

Postby quychang » Sun 24 Feb 2013 10:29 pm

Nicksp wrote:I didn't say Comcast was censoring trafic in general, only that to my knowledge they can. By censoring addvertising for firearms, they ARE, however, taking a step (perhaps small) towards making firearms disappear from their virtual public market. Google has already taken that step of making the firearm business much less visible to their users. Both are taking steps to reduce the visibility of the firearm in their presentation of the marketplace to the public.

There's no doubt that they could filter traffic to make firearms less visible, but I doubt it would be worth the effort or the public uproar if they were caught. But the same is true of any information source. If the government wanted it done, it could probably be done at the backbone level and affect all providers equally. I'm not convinced it could be done secretly however. I'm also not convinced that not taking gun related advertising is any worse than other businesses choosing to not accept alcohol advertising, or advertising for adult products.

I do see the hypocritical side as well, not advertising guns while showing marathon weekends of violent programming. I am not sure how they reconcile that within corporate policy, because, of course the bottom line is always money. They show what viewers want to watch, so they can sell advertising based on the number of viewers. You would think that viewer would fit the demographic that gun related advertisers would target. You tell me, the whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense.

Mel

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby Daeyel » Mon 25 Feb 2013 11:43 pm

It makes perfect sense. They can tell their liberal masters, 'We cannot control what is on the stations, or the web, they control that, we just broadcast it, or provide access, but we control our own advertising, and we are controlling it as you would wish.'

If I own, say, a TV sales business, I cannot control what Sony says in their brochure, but I can control what signs I hang inside the store, and promote my agenda thusly.
Only one individual can be 100% relied upon to be in your presence at all times and in all places to defend you and your family.
Act accordingly.
Daeyel
Sniper

Postby DaKnife » Tue 26 Feb 2013 12:24 pm

BTW Mel, tell your kids to be careful what they Torrent, the six strikes policy is going into effect, and if Comcast decides it doesn't like what is being downloaded/shared, it could result in you losing your connection and being limited to smaller ISP's who are not participating.

Okay edited to note that so far Verizon and Comcast have both noted that termination of your connection is not part of the program, but 256 kbs connection speed will seem like it.

Anyway, back to the topic.
SPOOOOOOON!!!

WARNING: This comment may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm, in every other state it may increase intelligence and knowledge.
DaKnife
Sniper

Postby quychang » Tue 26 Feb 2013 2:01 pm

DaKnife wrote:BTW Mel, tell your kids to be careful what they Torrent, the six strikes policy is going into effect, and if Comcast decides it doesn't like what is being downloaded/shared, it could result in you losing your connection and being limited to smaller ISP's who are not participating.

Okay edited to note that so far Verizon and Comcast have both noted that termination of your connection is not part of the program, but 256 kbs connection speed will seem like it.

Anyway, back to the topic.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. Only one child still at home, and he doesn't torrent. I'm afraid on the rare occasion that it happens, that I'm the guilty party :D . I generally will not torrent something I can buy, I don't torrent music, I stream it and have a free variety. I have on rare occasion torrented an old television series or something of the sort that's not available conventionally. I rarely seed, which is how they often catch you, I generally use an anonymous proxy server. But you're right, it's better to not do it.

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Previous

Return to Boycott List