Lee Kay Center

This is where to post the names of places to boycott because they have anti-gun, anti-freedom stances or policies. Any posts advocating boycotts must explain the reasons for the boycotts including, if possible, documentary proof, such as links to business web sites or news articles.

Lee Kay Center

Postby CR500AF » Thu 28 Feb 2008 9:43 am

Boycott the Lee Kay Center. Here are my reasons:

1. They are Nazi's
2. They treat you like a second class citizen out there
3. They won't allow legally owned Suppressors on their range. This really bothers me. The ATF says I can have it, the BCI says I can have it, yet I can't use them at the State owned, public, and tax funded facility. That is just silly!
"Protecting Families & Making Utah Safe"

Utah Concealed Firearm Instructor
NRA Instructor
NRA Member
CR500AF
Marksman

Postby UtahRSO » Thu 28 Feb 2008 7:31 pm

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :sadstory: :sadstory: :sadstory:
Last edited by UtahRSO on Fri 29 Feb 2008 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
UtahRSO
Marksman

Lee Kay

Postby Cinhil » Thu 28 Feb 2008 10:19 pm

I agree, they are Nazi's out there. I was not comfortable there when I last went. I even had to wait 15 minutes before I could even go down range to put up targets. They were very anal. I had about an hour of sunlight left so this really did not please me. As for safety, I have always been safer firing weapons with my brothers alone than with large groups of people.
The last bad experience I had with any type of range was at an archery range where some broad(yes I used that word--because she was!), began shooting at her target while I and about four other people were still retrieving arrows. I was within a foot of being hit by one of her misses. Never went back, that is also how I feel about Lee kay. :(
What part of "Shall not be infringed" is not being abused today!

Even Knights had "Modern" weapons!

'Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes' ("Who watches the watchmen?”)."
Cinhil
Sniper

Postby Dustin WJ » Thu 28 Feb 2008 10:40 pm

I like their prices, but I still don't like to shoot there. They have some weird rules. One time, I put two small targets on the same stand so that I wouldn't have to walk out there twice and a range officer made me take one down. What's wrong with having two targets if they both fit within the space on the stand? Also, I don't like the cease fires. If you get there right after one, you have to wait 15 minutes for the next one before you can do anything.
Dustin WJ
Sniper

Postby CR500AF » Thu 28 Feb 2008 11:25 pm

Yeah they definitely take the fun out of shooting. If shooting was limited to only shooting at the Lee Kay Center I would simply keep 1 gun for home protection, and sale all my others! :cry:

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
CR500AF
Marksman

Postby 69Roadrunner » Sun 02 Mar 2008 1:34 pm

Won't allow legal suppressors? News to me. I had a guy with a suppressor attached to his AR-15 variant shooting next to me. Really sweet setup. He used it for coyote busting.

I think it depends on when you're on the range, how often you go, and how well you know the range staff. I used to go once a week on Thursday mornings - don't go as much now because of the weather and because I'm a stay at home dad with an eight year old - and really know the staff well and they will accommodate me if the range is empty.

I will say though, that there are a few there that come across as range nazis and are a bear to deal with. I just remember when they're on duty and make sure to avoid being there at the same time.
"Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark."

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
69Roadrunner
Novice

Postby CR500AF » Mon 03 Mar 2008 9:17 am

"How often do I go out there?" I try to avoid going out there, but I really like their 300 yard range. With more and more development you have to really drive far these days to go where you can legally shoot without being near anyone.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
CR500AF
Marksman

Postby 69Roadrunner » Mon 03 Mar 2008 12:32 pm

CR500AF - I was going out there once a week. Thursday mornings were perfect for my schedule because my daughter was in school and I could get away. I'm now spending more time volunteering at her school and am trying to figure out another day in the week that I can make it. If not, I'll just go over by Utah Lake and set up targets using my laser range finder to verify distance for rifle. Its a lot closer to home and there's really no one out there on the weekdays. Only problem is having to lug your own bench if you want to dial your rifle in. Either way, I'm more likely to spend more time with my pistols than my rifles since its easier to lose proficiency with a handgun than a rifle.
"Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark."

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
69Roadrunner
Novice

Postby CR500AF » Mon 03 Mar 2008 12:37 pm

Down the road when I build a house I want to put a range into my basement! :nilly:

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
CR500AF
Marksman

Postby divegeek » Mon 03 Mar 2008 2:20 pm

CR500AF wrote:Down the road when I build a house I want to put a range into my basement! :nilly:

I'm actually arguing that with my wife right now. We're building a new home and we plan to leave the basement unfinished. For now, at least. We're also going to install radiant heating so the ground floor/basement ceiling will have a 1.5" slab of concrete under the regular carpet, tile, etc., which should provide really good sound insulation.

My thought is that if I suspend a 1/4" steel plate at a 45 degree angle and build a sand box underneath it, I should have a nice backstop for a little pistol range in the basement. I might have to roll out some cheap carpet on the floor and maybe put some of that eggshell foam on the walls to absorb some of the noise, but it should still be both easy and cheap, especially since I already have the steel plate.

My wife just rejects the idea of an indoor range as an extravagance. I've decided to stop arguing for now, and then after we move in I'll just build it :)
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby Tacomatose » Thu 06 Mar 2008 10:58 am

Make sure to check city laws regarding shooting within city limits.....you will probably be in violation, not to mention your insurance costs if you claim it "properly".

swillden wrote:
CR500AF wrote:Down the road when I build a house I want to put a range into my basement! :nilly:

I'm actually arguing that with my wife right now. We're building a new home and we plan to leave the basement unfinished. For now, at least. We're also going to install radiant heating so the ground floor/basement ceiling will have a 1.5" slab of concrete under the regular carpet, tile, etc., which should provide really good sound insulation.

My thought is that if I suspend a 1/4" steel plate at a 45 degree angle and build a sand box underneath it, I should have a nice backstop for a little pistol range in the basement. I might have to roll out some cheap carpet on the floor and maybe put some of that eggshell foam on the walls to absorb some of the noise, but it should still be both easy and cheap, especially since I already have the steel plate.

My wife just rejects the idea of an indoor range as an extravagance. I've decided to stop arguing for now, and then after we move in I'll just build it :)
PFI, LLC
http://www.firearmspro.com
Contact me for UCC Discount on purchases

Distributor: Condor Tactical, Fenix, 4Sevens, TASER, Saiga Shotguns and Rifle, Firearms, Ammo, more
Utah Concealed Carry, NRA Courses, Private Instruction
Tacomatose
Marksman

Postby CR500AF » Thu 06 Mar 2008 11:22 am

Two answers to that. 1. Suppressors :wink: 2. I am an insurance agent, so I got that covered too! :)

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
CR500AF
Marksman

Postby Mazellan » Thu 06 Mar 2008 12:11 pm

I was under the impression that Suppressors were illegal or do you have to have a special permit to own one. Just curious thanks.
Mazellan
Expert Marksman

Postby CR500AF » Thu 06 Mar 2008 12:15 pm

No you can own them, you just have to pay $200.00 in tax. YUCK! They are great, I own two and am getting a 3rd shortly! They shouldn't be so hard to get, they should come as a standard accessory to all guns. They don't silence any gun! THey make it safe to shoot without hearing protection, they are great. I highly recommend them to anyone. There is a huge misconception that they make guns silent, this is completely false, there is still plenty of noise, it just isn't harmful to your ears. Buy one! Buy Many! :wink: It makes your shooting experience all the more enjoyable!

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
CR500AF
Marksman

Postby CR500AF » Thu 06 Mar 2008 12:18 pm

FYI. I think the process to get a suppressor is way easier than getting a concealed permit, it just costs more $$$$$

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
CR500AF
Marksman

Next

Return to Boycott List