Lee Kay Center

This is where to post the names of places to boycott because they have anti-gun, anti-freedom stances or policies. Any posts advocating boycotts must explain the reasons for the boycotts including, if possible, documentary proof, such as links to business web sites or news articles.

Re:

Postby Daeyel » Sat 30 Jan 2010 3:57 pm

CR500AF wrote:$200 for each one. But it isn't so painful, because you can pay the $200 to the BATFE / Department of Treasury, and then slowly pay for your suppressor per your dealers requirements, some allow lay-away plans, others require you to pay up front. I got one for a .22 ($300), a .223 ($600), and I am getting a .338 ($1,300) I'll use that on my .340 Weatherby! The .223 suppressor is also used on my .17 HMR.

Holy COW. If you buy a suppressor for hearing protection you are WAY overpaying for hearing protection.

I can get the absolute best hearing protection on the market for $150. Here is how:

Go to your local hospital or hearing aid dealer. Inform them you want ear molds made. They will inject the goo in your ear, and make a perfect mold of your ear. Tell them you don't need them for hearing aids and they should just give them to you almost right away. (Mine always get sent off for finishing, since they have to drill a hole and install the tube to attach to my ear)
Not sure how long an ear mold not adapted for a hearing aid will take, but mine take abt a week and cost $50 - $75 each.
They are perfectly molded to your ear and beyond comfortable. (many people have them made with earphones installed to listen to music more comfortably)

So for $150 you can have the BEST hearing protection out there - all at less than the price of the federal stamp alone!

When I shoot, I just turn my hearing aids off, and the only thing I hear is from bone conduction.
Only one individual can be 100% relied upon to be in your presence at all times and in all places to defend you and your family.
Act accordingly.
Daeyel
Sniper

Re:

Postby caverat » Mon 01 Feb 2010 9:35 pm

divegeek wrote:
CR500AF wrote:Down the road when I build a house I want to put a range into my basement! :nilly:

I'm actually arguing that with my wife right now. We're building a new home and we plan to leave the basement unfinished. For now, at least. We're also going to install radiant heating so the ground floor/basement ceiling will have a 1.5" slab of concrete under the regular carpet, tile, etc., which should provide really good sound insulation.

My thought is that if I suspend a 1/4" steel plate at a 45 degree angle and build a sand box underneath it, I should have a nice backstop for a little pistol range in the basement. I might have to roll out some cheap carpet on the floor and maybe put some of that eggshell foam on the walls to absorb some of the noise, but it should still be both easy and cheap, especially since I already have the steel plate.

My wife just rejects the idea of an indoor range as an extravagance. I've decided to stop arguing for now, and then after we move in I'll just build it :)

I had a nice little 40 foot range just like that of course could only shoot when the boss was away :ROFL: but man was it cool....
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms
Thomas Jefferson
caverat
Marksman

Re: Re:

Postby divegeek » Tue 02 Feb 2010 7:20 am

caverat wrote:
divegeek wrote:
CR500AF wrote:Down the road when I build a house I want to put a range into my basement! :nilly:

I'm actually arguing that with my wife right now. We're building a new home and we plan to leave the basement unfinished. For now, at least. We're also going to install radiant heating so the ground floor/basement ceiling will have a 1.5" slab of concrete under the regular carpet, tile, etc., which should provide really good sound insulation.

My thought is that if I suspend a 1/4" steel plate at a 45 degree angle and build a sand box underneath it, I should have a nice backstop for a little pistol range in the basement. I might have to roll out some cheap carpet on the floor and maybe put some of that eggshell foam on the walls to absorb some of the noise, but it should still be both easy and cheap, especially since I already have the steel plate.

I had a nice little 40 foot range just like that of course could only shoot when the boss was away :ROFL: but man was it cool....

Nice. In my case, we've had to put all of our house plans on hold due to the situation with my kids.

But, I'm still planning that range for when we get back on track :D
Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Re: Lee Kay Center

Postby rufus » Thu 14 Oct 2010 6:11 am

BAD NEWS

In the infinite wisdom of the on site management of the Lee Kay Center, they are closing on Sundays again with Oct 31 as the last Sunday open. It isn't a staffing problem, the volunteers are there to run it.

Public comments may help, certainly can't make the situation any worse.

[email protected] is the email address of the Hunter Ed Coordinator who oversees Lee Kay.

TIA.
rufus
Marksman

Postby rufus » Fri 29 Oct 2010 6:40 pm

When I posted TIA, I had no idea how much response would be generated.
The on-site management has been forced to reverse its position and Lee Kay will remain open on Sunday. One of the major factors in the reversal was the sheer number of e-mails sent downtown in protest, and I am sure a goodly number of them came from UCC.
THANK YOU!!!!!
rufus
Marksman

Re: Re:

Postby MouldyJoe » Wed 22 Dec 2010 2:24 am

My thought is that if I suspend a 1/4" steel plate at a 45 degree angle and build a sand box underneath it, I should have a nice backstop for a little pistol range in the basement. I might have to roll out some cheap carpet on the floor and maybe put some of that eggshell foam on the walls to absorb some of the noise, but it should still be both easy and cheap, especially since I already have the steel plate.[/quote]
I had a nice little 40 foot range just like that of course could only shoot when the boss was away :ROFL: but man was it cool....[/quote]
Nice. In my case, we've had to put all of our house plans on hold due to the situation with my kids.

But, I'm still planning that range for when we get back on track :D[/quote]

Please make sure you check what you will be shooting and be safe. I was an Iron worker in my past career and have made many targets/gongs for scouts/clubs etc. 1/4" steel plate even angled at 45 deg is only safe for 22 cal. soft cast lead or muzzleloaders. 3/8 would probably be fine for most pistol rounds, except the high pressure (+p) stuff, It would also wear out pretty soon. A high powered rifle will go through 3/8" Plate (personal experience) you need 1" plate for most rifles. I know this sounds like over kill, but look it up on e-how or miller welding forums. It's still a good idea, you just have to factor in enough safety, PLEASE don't forget ventilation as well, not just burnt powder, but lead dust as well. Just my .02.
MouldyJoe
Novice

Postby Car Knocker » Wed 22 Dec 2010 10:10 am

Moldy Joe,

It would probably be best for you to start a thread dealing with your proposed basement firing range rather than go off-topic in this Lee Kay thread. Thanks!
Don

-->insert witty and/or inspirational message here<--
Car Knocker
Posse

Postby MouldyJoe » Wed 22 Dec 2010 8:59 pm

Thanks, great idea. There are probably several threads already. I have had minor issues with Lee Kay myself as well, but didn't want people to think all they needed to do to practice in their basements was to put up a piece of plate to deflect the bullets. Joe
MouldyJoe
Novice

Re:

Postby dewittdj » Wed 22 Dec 2010 10:42 pm

Did you remember to say "Pretty please with sugar on top?" :lol3:

69Roadrunner wrote:I think it depends on when you're on the range, how often you go, and how well you know the range staff. I used to go once a week on Thursday mornings - don't go as much now because of the weather and because I'm a stay at home dad with an eight year old - and really know the staff well and they will accommodate me if the range is empty.

I will say though, that there are a few there that come across as range nazis and are a bear to deal with. I just remember when they're on duty and make sure to avoid being there at the same time.

You beat me to it. That has been my experience exactly! There's a couple of ex-military out there and a father of a recent veteran, so I made a hit with my Marine plated vehicle, MGySgt stickers, EGA emblem, military ID card; and then, to top it off, spent the next 1/2 an hour BS'ing about the Navy, Marine Corps, and the Army. I was out there to set up teaching my first CFP class (renting one of their classrooms and stated that I wanted to use the range to verify the student's safe gun handling skills and their ability to successfully engage a paper plate at 25 yards). I've since taught three classes there and haven't had a problem. I have run into a few that tend to be a bit heavy handed, but I usually attribute it to their having had a bad day.

I often bring a lady or two along in fair weather for some pistol training and the range volunteers warm-up nicely, offering all kinds of advice and help. :lolbang:

As a result, I've gotten to know the staff pretty well and know which ones to joke with and which ones to address "yes sir." As it is the only range within 10 minutes of my place of work, if I want to continue shooting during my lunch hours, then I'll have to accommodate the various personalities there.
:dancing:
Last edited by dewittdj on Fri 24 Dec 2010 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot

Postby rufus » Thu 23 Dec 2010 10:01 am

Hey, we're old, not dead.
rufus
Marksman

Previous

Return to Boycott List