Utah Guns Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Utah's Hogle Zoo

34K views 81 replies 37 participants last post by  Car Knocker 
#1 ·

I have been thinking about going to the Zoo and found this on their web page (see number 8 ):
For the health and safety for our animals and guests, we do not allow the following items inside the Zoo:

1. Balloons of any kind
2. Bicycles (except for Zoo Security officers)
3. Tricycles (or similar such item that is powered by someone sitting on it)
4. Heely shoes, in-line skates, or roller-skates.
5. Skateboards
6. Scooters of any kind
7. Water guns or water balloons (water spray bottles are only allowed on hot days)
8. Weapons of any kind
9. Glass containers
10. Alcoholic beverages
11. Laser pointers
12. Gas grills or charcoal barbecues
13. Stickers or Confetti
14. Any other item deemed unsafe by Utah’s Hogle Zoo security
According to Wikipedia:
The Hogle Zoo is currently owned by the city of Salt Lake City. It is supported through tax dollars and private donations raised by The Utah Zoological Association.
From what I have garnered online, Hogle Zoo receives (get this... every year!) approximately $1.4 million dollars from the state, and more than $500,000 from the Salt Lake County ZAP Tax annually. So, how can they say "no weapons of any kind"? They are funded by the State legislature and the City (ahem... just like public universities) and yet they can restrict CFP holders from carrying?

I would remind them that they are not in line Utah State Law and that this policy violates the law. I would like to ask them to revise their prohibited items list to eliminate this item or at least say "Illegal weapons of any kind" instead of "Weapons of any kind". I would propose writing letters to the Zoo and our Legislature about this.

The Zoo can be contacted here:
Holly Braithwaite, Community Relations Coordinator
Office: (801) 584-1729
Fax: (801) 584-1771
Email: hbraithwaite@hoglezoo.org
Address:
Utah's Hogle Zoo
2600 Sunnyside Avenue
Salt Lake City, UT 84108

See less See more
#3 ·
Car Knocker said:
and yet they can restrict CFP holders from carrying?
They cannot restrict a CFP holder from carrying - period! The same goes for legal open carry.
Well, I just went and saw guys in red jerseys with SECURITY written on them. I bet that if you openly carried there, they would confront you and throw you out. Maybe someone is willing to give this a try?

Either way their policy is illegal as far as I understand. It needs to be changed.

#6 ·
mchlwise said:
I believe the Zoo would be the same as any other place (like Trolley Square for example) that does not allow guns:

If they catch you, they can kick you out... but there will not be any legal ramifications whatsoever.
The zoo is different from Trolley Square in that it gets public funding. So technically they cannot kick you out for legally carrying there.

#8 ·
My son and I spend the day there with our wives and his daughter a few weeks ago. Both he and I were armed the entire time (him a Glock 36, me a Glock 26). Concealed means concealed.

#10 ·
I am planning a trip there in a few weeks, We will see how far I get I guess.

#11 ·
GeneticsDave said:

I have been thinking about going to the Zoo and found this on their web page (see number 8 ):
For the health and safety for our animals and guests, we do not allow the following items inside the Zoo:

1. Balloons of any kind
2. Bicycles (except for Zoo Security officers)
3. Tricycles (or similar such item that is powered by someone sitting on it)
4. Heely shoes, in-line skates, or roller-skates.
5. Skateboards
6. Scooters of any kind
7. Water guns or water balloons (water spray bottles are only allowed on hot days)
8. Weapons of any kind
9. Glass containers
10. Alcoholic beverages
11. Laser pointers
12. Gas grills or charcoal barbecues
13. Stickers or Confetti
14. Any other item deemed unsafe by Utah’s Hogle Zoo security
According to Wikipedia:
The Hogle Zoo is currently owned by the city of Salt Lake City. It is supported through tax dollars and private donations raised by The Utah Zoological Association.
From what I have garnered online, Hogle Zoo receives (get this... every year!) approximately $1.4 million dollars from the state, and more than $500,000 from the Salt Lake County ZAP Tax annually. So, how can they say "no weapons of any kind"? They are funded by the State legislature and the City (ahem... just like public universities) and yet they can restrict CFP holders from carrying?

I would remind them that they are not in line Utah State Law and that this policy violates the law. I would like to ask them to revise their prohibited items list to eliminate this item or at least say "Illegal weapons of any kind" instead of "Weapons of any kind". I would propose writing letters to the Zoo and our Legislature about this.

The Zoo can be contacted here:
Holly Braithwaite, Community Relations Coordinator
Office: (801) 584-1729
Fax: (801) 584-1771
Email: hbraithwaite@hoglezoo.org
Address:
Utah's Hogle Zoo
2600 Sunnyside Avenue
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Yeah, State Preemption per 76-10-500 makes that "request" illegal

76-10-500. Uniform law.
(1) The individual right to keep and bear arms being a constitutionally protected right, the Legislature finds the need to provide uniform laws throughout the state. Except as specifically provided by state law, a citizen of the United States or a lawfully admitted alien shall not be:
(a) prohibited from owning, possessing, purchasing, selling, transferring, transporting, or keeping any firearm at his place of residence, property, business, or in any vehicle lawfully in his possession or lawfully under his control; or
(b) required to have a permit or license to purchase, own, possess, transport, or keep a firearm.
(2) This part is uniformly applicable throughout this state and in all its political subdivisions and municipalities. All authority to regulate firearms shall be reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities. Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact or enforce any ordinance, regulation, or rule pertaining to firearms.

BTW, I just Emailed AG Mark Shurtleff, Clark Aposhian, Mitch Vilos and Charles Hardy.

Hope to have this corrected ASAP.

TJ

#15 ·
Yeah, I was talking about this on OCDO and UTOC told me the same thing. I'm going there on Monday and maybe I'll call ahead and say, "Has your policy for no weapons allowed of any kind been updated in accordance with the Utah Code?" Something like that.

EDIT:
I also just sent an e-mail to the person listed at the beginning of this thread and will also be sending a mailed copy to her along with a Utah Gun Law Pamphlet. In my letter I also invited her to visit ODCO, ODCO - Utah Forum, and UCC.

#20 ·
Well, when I went, I carried concealed (well, not really) I had my gun on my hip, but I just wrapped my jacket around it. I know you can carry concealed there - 'cause nobody will know so you shouldn't have any problems that way. But I want to OC when I go and not get thrown out due to some illegal policy. Hopefully the AG will help shed some light on this situation. Thanks TJ!

#22 ·
This is what I wrote @ OCDO.

http://www.weblo.com/property/Other/Utah_s_Hogle_Zoo/452451/

Scroll down some and you will find the text ..."The Hogle Zoo is currently owned by the state of Utah. It is supported through tax dollars and private donations raised by The Utah Zoological Association" that I Highlighted and Underlined.

This is the whole text....

Utah's Hogle Zoo was founded in its present location in 1931. It was originally a part of Liberty Park downtown, but a large plot of land near Emigration Canyon was donated to house the growing collection of animals by Mr. and Mrs. James Hogle. The Hogle Zoo is currently owned by the state of Utah. It is supported through tax dollars and private donations raised by The Utah Zoological Association. The recently passed Arts and Parks tax has allowed for the building of larger and more natural exhibits, beginning with the Elephant Encounter in 2005 and the Highland of Asia exhibit in 2006.

So now you can HAPPILY OC at the Zoo because the sign is MEANINGLESS.

Enjoy your Family trip

Remember Title 76-10-500, the Uniform Code.

The Hogle Zoo Security nor the SLC PD can touch you.

Here is Mitch Vilos # 801-560-7117.

Clark Aposhian's # 801-560-4836

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.