IHC

This is where to post the names of places to boycott because they have anti-gun, anti-freedom stances or policies. Any posts advocating boycotts must explain the reasons for the boycotts including, if possible, documentary proof, such as links to business web sites or news articles.

Re: IHC

Postby bane » Wed 07 May 2008 8:52 am

xmirage2kx wrote:
GeneticsDave wrote:I can't stand their signs "No weapons, this is a place of healing." Really? I thought it was Unreal Tournament's Deathmatch arena...

:lol3: :lolbang: :ROFL:

:gun8: :nilly: :gun7: :nilly: :gun4: :nilly: :gun3: :nilly: :gun2: :nilly: :gun1: :nilly: :gun8: :nilly:

.... someone has clearly had too much caffeine for the day! ;)
"Men cannot be enslaved politically until they have been disarmed ideologically. When they are so disarmed, it is the victims who take the lead in the process of their own destruction." -- Ayn Rand, Russian-American Philosopher (1905-1982).
bane
Sniper

Postby xmirage2kx » Wed 07 May 2008 10:13 am

Ehh.... its just one of those days
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.
-Gerald Ford

I am NOT a lawyer. You and only you are responsible for verifying anything I have posted or implied
xmirage2kx
Sniper

Re:

Postby Gibbles » Thu 09 Oct 2008 1:23 pm

bane wrote:hahaha... "this is a place of healing, no guns allowed"... which is ironic since, I'm sure, they have armed security on the premises!

My wife works there, she made a comment about the sign to me one day, I just shrugged my shoulders at her and told her it was not state law.
I think they need to change it to no illegal weapons.

And the security staff has pepper spray and tasers from what I saw.
Gibbles
Marksman

Re:

Postby scott.pete06 » Thu 09 Oct 2008 3:04 pm

hamm wrote:Yeah, they have the "no guns" signs at LDS Hospital and Primary Children's Hospital as well. My favorite is at Primary's where it says, "You are entering a place of healing, no weapons please." Interestingly, the new Intermountain Medical Center that IHC just built doesn't have any "no guns" signs. I think the "no guns" sign fad is out for now.

also I've never noticed them at St. Marks, Mackay dee, or or first med Industrial clinic. In fact I know for a fact that 2 of the nurses and at least one of the doctors at the clinic have CFP's.
Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. -Robert E. Lee
scott.pete06
Expert Marksman

Postby Gibbles » Mon 13 Oct 2008 9:12 am

bane wrote:
xmirage2kx wrote:
GeneticsDave wrote:I can't stand their signs "No weapons, this is a place of healing." Really? I thought it was Unreal Tournament's Deathmatch arena...

:lol3: :lolbang: :ROFL:

:gun8: :nilly: :gun7: :nilly: :gun4: :nilly: :gun3: :nilly: :gun2: :nilly: :gun1: :nilly: :gun8: :nilly:

.... someone has clearly had too much caffeine for the day! ;)

:withstupid:

That's some funny stuff, I love the use of the smileys. :ROFL: :thumbsup:
Gibbles
Marksman

Postby fractionalflyer » Wed 12 Nov 2008 10:12 am

I had my handgun in my pants pocket the whole time I was in LDS while my son was being born... Guess I missed the sign, right?
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. - Theodore Roosevelt
fractionalflyer
Novice

Postby Jeff Johnson » Wed 12 Nov 2008 7:17 pm

fractionalflyer wrote:I had my handgun in my pants pocket the whole time I was in LDS while my son was being born... Guess I missed the sign, right?

I'm sure that you obeyed all legal signs. :thumbsup:
IANAL => I Am Not A Lawyer
NRA Life Member | USSC | CCRKBA | UtahConcealedCarry.com
Jeff Johnson
Site Admin

Postby mj_ssl » Wed 10 Dec 2008 2:08 pm

I don't know if anyone has posted it yet, but I will do it now, due to the fact I am sitting here in the new IMC (and will be for the next few weeks supporting the my wife) and on all doors it now has the no weapons sign. Just and FYI for everyone.
Instructor - Strategic Tactical Group
"Fail to prepare ... Prepare to fail!"
mj_ssl
Novice

Postby bagpiper » Sun 28 Nov 2010 11:42 pm

Just to be clear, with the exception of secure mental facilities, hospitals are not "secure areas" in Utah and a "no gun" sign on the door carries zero legal weight. And while I'm no expert in the matter, I do believe that hospitals are limited in the reasons for which they can deny service. So tossing someone just for being in lawful possession of a gun may be a bit iffy.

For those who were not in Utah at the time, you might want to do a little research on the 1991 hostage situation and shooting at Alta Hospital in Sandy. Richard Worthington was upset over a doctor who had performed a tubal ligation on his wife (at her insistence). There was zero effective security, at least one person (a nurse) was shot and killed. I have been unable to personally confirm, but heard rumors that the incident prompted a fair number of doctors and nurses to begin carrying concealed despite not being eligible for permits under Utah's then discriminator issue law. I was told once, that some lobbying by these upstanding and respected members of our society helped with passage of our shall issue law a few years later.

In any event, given the high potential for problems at hospitals what with gang bangers and drug addicts in the ER, people in pain, and other getting the worst news of their life, I make a point to carry in the hospital. If I'm just visiting, I may well OC. I've never had a problem. If I'm there as the advocate for someone I will CC lest there be a distraction that might negatively affect the care they receive. All phobias aside, I don't want the guy sticking big needles into my wife's spine, or tubes down my kid's throat to be the least bit nervous because of my dress. As a patient, I have to weigh my ability to maintain positive control of my firearm against the risk of nothing having it with me. Mostly, I try to avoid being a patient. :D

On a side note, my wife used to work for a blood bank and it was common for a police agency to come in and donate. The blood bank's SOP was to ask officers to disarm. Not over any over anti-RKBA position but simply because some number of donor faint when donating. And some number of cops who awaken from fainting tend to grab for their sidearm before they are fully cognizant. Ideally, the gun was given to a fellow officer to hold, or put in a locker when blood draws were done at a station. But on some occasions, the duty belt was just placed under the cot just beyond arms' reach.

I very much dislike the stupid signs at local hospitals. Legally, I can and do ignore them. But there is a time and place for everything and when I or a loved one is in need of medical care is not necessarily the best time for me to try to educate some medical professional about RKBA, much less to want to see said medical professional at all nervous as he attempts to provide treatment. And, not every individual request to disarm is motivated entirely by phobia or anti-RKBA politics. Sometimes doctors have to inflict pain. Sometimes patients react poorly to anesthesia, fainting, or other treatments. In many cases it may well be impossible fora patient to maintain proper control of his firearm and there is no particular reason that hospital staff should be experts in doing so for the patient.

Just food for thought.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper

Postby Rupper » Thu 02 Dec 2010 11:23 am

GeneticsDave wrote:I can't stand their signs "No weapons, this is a place of healing." Really? I thought it was Unreal Tournament's Deathmatch arena... I mean, come on! Saying something like that just makes the place look stupid for being so condescending to it's patrons - like we don't know the purpose of a hospital.

Not only that, but they make it sound like a gun will randomly jump out of a holster and shoot someone. Since that happens so often, maybe I should remove the brain from my gun.
Rupper
Marksman

Postby kccraft » Thu 02 Dec 2010 1:34 pm

Rupper wrote:
GeneticsDave wrote:I can't stand their signs "No weapons, this is a place of healing." Really? I thought it was Unreal Tournament's Deathmatch arena... I mean, come on! Saying something like that just makes the place look stupid for being so condescending to it's patrons - like we don't know the purpose of a hospital.

Not only that, but they make it sound like a gun will randomly jump out of a holster and shoot someone. Since that happens so often, maybe I should remove the brain from my gun.

But to do that wouldn't you have to bring it into the Hospitals surgical wing? You just can't win!
"Not all of the blood that waters the tree of liberty comes from the veins of soldiers." -Divegeek
kccraft
Sniper

Postby Shay.ca » Tue 14 Dec 2010 10:33 pm

that made me laugh pretty good.
Shay.ca
Marksman

Postby JoeSparky » Wed 15 Dec 2010 12:22 am

Just imagine how it's employees must feel!
JoeSparky
Sniper

Re:

Postby itsasecret » Wed 15 Dec 2010 12:56 pm

xmirage2kx wrote:I had to go to urgent care this last week. I get into the office and was asked to remove my shirt, I thought the DR and Nurse were gonna be the ones in need of medical care :jawdrop:

Anyways after that all went well enough.

A while back I was carrying during an InstaCare visit, and was asked to remove my shirt. The doctor handled the situation quite calmly, just politely asking me to take "that" off and put it with my shirt. I did and not another word was said about it.
itsasecret
Marksman

Postby Rick5 » Thu 16 Dec 2010 2:07 pm

When I went to my doctor at IHC, he asked to see it and then chewed on my behind :eat: for not owning a Browning. Browning is a Great Grandfather of his and according to him, the only good gun made out there!!! :gun9:
Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime………Adlai E. Stevenson
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.......…unknown
Rick5
Marksman

PreviousNext

Return to Boycott List