COSTCO IN RIVERDALE

This is where to post the names of places to boycott because they have anti-gun, anti-freedom stances or policies. Any posts advocating boycotts must explain the reasons for the boycotts including, if possible, documentary proof, such as links to business web sites or news articles.

Re: COSTCO IN RIVERDALE

Postby Kaba 2A » Sun 21 Sep 2008 7:03 pm

hedonistic wrote:THe one time I went around "exposed" I had not noticed my shirt was behind my gun in an IWB holster, an of duty officer casually showed me his badge asked if I had a permit, then suggested I cover my weapon :oops: I also thought he was exposing himself and almost didn't look to see the badge :shocked: I am glad it was a badge and not a ......... Flash :ack:

Maybe I'm being a bit sensitive, but I'm a bit put off by the officer's suggestion that you should cover your weapon. Maybe the officer thought they were providing some friendly help, but from what I understand, there is no duty to conceal in Utah, right? In fact, I've read it over and over on the OC threads that the CFP provides the right to carry open loaded as well...
Kaba 2A
Novice

Postby hedonistic » Sun 21 Sep 2008 8:50 pm

KahrPM40Guy wrote:
hedonistic wrote:THe one time I went around "exposed" I had not noticed my shirt was behind my gun in an IWB holster, an of duty officer casually showed me his badge asked if I had a permit, then suggested I cover my weapon :oops: I also thought he was exposing himself and almost didn't look to see the badge :shocked: I am glad it was a badge and not a ......... Flash :ack:

Maybe I'm being a bit sensitive, but I'm a bit put off by the officer's suggestion that you should cover your weapon. Maybe the officer thought they were providing some friendly help, but from what I understand, there is no duty to conceal in Utah, right? In fact, I've read it over and over on the OC threads that the CFP provides the right to carry open loaded as well...

It was how casually I was approach and that the suggestion was in fact a suggestion, maybe he knew about costcos stupid policy or maybe he deduced from the covering garment and the IWB holster that OC was not I going for.

I felt more like "hay buddy your fly is open" then "hay dummy you aint allowed to flash that thing."
hedonistic

Postby Adaptive » Tue 20 Oct 2009 3:36 pm

I OC at the Costco in American Fork all of the time without any issues.
Adaptive
Novice

Postby Jarubla » Fri 26 Feb 2010 2:20 pm

I plan on continuing to conceal carry @ Costco. They can stick it.

Until they provide a personal bodyguard to protect me and mine, I will follow my legal right to conceal.

-Jay
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you'll never see him on the weekends
Jarubla
Sharp Shooter

Postby hedonistic » Fri 26 Feb 2010 2:50 pm

Jarubla wrote:I plan on continuing to conceal carry @ Costco. They can stick it.

Until they provide a personal bodyguard to protect me and mine, I will follow my legal right to conceal.

-Jay

Wait until you get a Jury duty notice, then if you get water near a Judge.
hedonistic

Postby Jarubla » Fri 26 Feb 2010 4:35 pm

hedonistic wrote:Wait until you get a Jury duty notice, then if you get water near a Judge.

(hijack)

I have had jury duty notices before, they never pick me. They do always seem to pick the crazies.

(/hijack)

I will continue to shop at costco, and not tell them I carry.

I was thinking about the whole boycotting thing; I would like to participate, but oft times it simply isnt feasible for me. So I carry silently and continue on with my life.

-Jay
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you'll never see him on the weekends
Jarubla
Sharp Shooter

Postby hedonistic » Fri 26 Feb 2010 4:46 pm

you calling me crazy? Just ask my pet giraffe I an crazy
hedonistic

Postby chadbag » Mon 21 Mar 2011 11:53 pm

m&p40 wrote:Out of curiosity, because costco is a membership business, is it LEGAL to carry even conecaled? I thought the law was only for businesses that let the general public in?

Not that I agree, and I do as bane mentions in cases like this I CC, but I was curious about the legality of this?

Ask them if they have to abide by the AWD act (Americans with Disabilities Act). If they do then they are a place of public accommodation AFAIK. (IANAL and all that)
disclaimer: I run eguns.com and so have been involved in the industry, full or part time, since 1996, and therefore have biases, intentional or unintentional, related to that background.
chadbag
Novice

Postby Kloutier » Tue 22 Mar 2011 5:08 am

They have always been anti gun. Thanks OP for posting your story I would make sure to post the store on friendorfoe.us
People say I should not carry because it's not the Wild West. I say I carry because its much worse. Only 3 people died at the at the O.K. Corral and its a part of our nations history. If 3 people died in a 30 sec shootout today It might not make the news.
Kloutier
Sharp Shooter

Postby divegeek » Tue 22 Mar 2011 5:53 am

chadbag wrote:
m&p40 wrote:Out of curiosity, because costco is a membership business, is it LEGAL to carry even conecaled? I thought the law was only for businesses that let the general public in?

Not that I agree, and I do as bane mentions in cases like this I CC, but I was curious about the legality of this?

Ask them if they have to abide by the AWD act (Americans with Disabilities Act). If they do then they are a place of public accommodation AFAIK. (IANAL and all that)

There's nothing in the law that says public accommodations can't ban firearms. There's also nothing in the law that says they can, so it falls back on ordinary private property and contract law. In the case of Costco, they have a private property owner's right to ask you to leave for virtually any reason (except for being a member of a protected class -- being a public accommodation does provide that), plus they also have the contractual right to cancel your membership for not following their rules.
Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby RustyShackleford » Tue 22 Mar 2011 8:31 am

Costco is not stupid: They make you pay a fee, ban law abiding citizens/customers the means of personal protection, turn them into targets...But don't be dismayed....
They also sell Caskets at membership prices.
If you consider yourself an American, and are not yet on a government watchlist...You're Not Trying.
RustyShackleford
Sniper

Postby Kloutier » Tue 22 Mar 2011 8:48 am

RustyShackleford wrote:They also sell Caskets at membership prices.

The problem is they come in packs of seven but shooters kill in packs of eight.
People say I should not carry because it's not the Wild West. I say I carry because its much worse. Only 3 people died at the at the O.K. Corral and its a part of our nations history. If 3 people died in a 30 sec shootout today It might not make the news.
Kloutier
Sharp Shooter

Postby chadbag » Tue 22 Mar 2011 1:26 pm

divegeek wrote:
chadbag wrote:

There's nothing in the law that says public accommodations can't ban firearms. There's also nothing in the law that says they can, so it falls back on ordinary private property and contract law. In the case of Costco, they have a private property owner's right to ask you to leave for virtually any reason (except for being a member of a protected class -- being a public accommodation does provide that), plus they also have the contractual right to cancel your membership for not following their rules.

The point was it removes the "private membership club" excuse.
disclaimer: I run eguns.com and so have been involved in the industry, full or part time, since 1996, and therefore have biases, intentional or unintentional, related to that background.
chadbag
Novice

Postby divegeek » Tue 22 Mar 2011 4:38 pm

chadbag wrote:The point was it removes the "private membership club" excuse.

No, it doesn't.
Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby Snowman » Tue 22 Mar 2011 4:44 pm

divegeek wrote:
chadbag wrote:The point was it removes the "private membership club" excuse.

No, it doesn't.

+1
Springfield 1911 black loaded target. 460 Rowland.
M&P 40 Pro.
RSO.
To be voluntarily disarmed is to rely on the honor of the dishonorable.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Snowman
Sniper

PreviousNext

Return to Boycott List