Utah Guns Forum banner

Recommendations for CC - M&P Shield

15K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  wilzd00d 
#1 ·
Thanks to everyone who chimed in on my question about carrying in school.

I'm new to this concealed carry thing. I'm more comfortable with an M-4 slung across my chest and a sidearm strapped to my thigh.

I own a M&P 40 full size, and I find it's almost impossible to conceal, even with my new King Tuck. So I went to the gun store and looked over everything they had. I'm drawn to the M&P Shield in .40, even though it's only a 7-round magazine, because it seems like it would be easy to conceal, but with the 7-round magazine I can get my full hand on the grip (something that's important for me).

So any pros or cons on the Shield, or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

#28 ·
justBeth said:
For me it comes down to how well it fits in my hand and if the force is directed up my arm because of a proper fit, or if the force is directed into my arthritic thumb joints.
The M&P has the same angle as the 1911's etc, so the Solo would probably do you well. The glocks have different angle, so I would go shoot one before trying them, the Glock 43 seems to be the rage, you could try it.

#29 ·
seaton said:
justBeth said:
For me it comes down to how well it fits in my hand and if the force is directed up my arm because of a proper fit, or if the force is directed into my arthritic thumb joints.
The M&P has the same angle as the 1911's etc, so the Solo would probably do you well. The glocks have different angle, so I would go shoot one before trying them, the Glock 43 seems to be the rage, you could try it.
She don't like Glocks much at least not my g26 but I don't think she has shot a 43. G19 was better than the g26 for here but still not great.

#30 ·
Well, I ended up buying the Shield in .40. I carry it daily in a King Tuk and find it to be fairly comfortable. I initially had a little bit of a problem with it at the range, as it would remain out of battery sometimes after it stripped a round from the magazine. I traced the problem to the back insert on the slide being a little lower than it should be, and now it works fine.

I find the Shield to be far more comfortable to shoot than I thought a pistol this size would be, and it's also pretty accurate, considering the short barrel. I will say that it doesn't like Perfecta ammunition (my full size doesn't have that problem), but the Remington, Magtech, and Sig ammunition I've run through it has had no problem.

I also discovered that my spare Leatherman ballistic sheath is the perfect size to hold my spare (7-round) magazine, and it's impossible to tell what's in there unless I pull it out.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

#31 ·
TeacherDude said:
Well, I ended up buying the Shield in .40. I carry it daily in a King Tuk and find it to be fairly comfortable. I initially had a little bit of a problem with it at the range, as it would remain out of battery sometimes after it stripped a round from the magazine. I traced the problem to the back insert on the slide being a little lower than it should be, and now it works fine.

I find the Shield to be far more comfortable to shoot than I thought a pistol this size would be, and it's also pretty accurate, considering the short barrel. I will say that it doesn't like Perfecta ammunition (my full size doesn't have that problem), but the Remington, Magtech, and Sig ammunition I've run through it has had no problem.

I also discovered that my spare Leatherman ballistic sheath is the perfect size to hold my spare (7-round) magazine, and it's impossible to tell what's in there unless I pull it out.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.
Until someone asks to borrow your leatherman ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.