Utah Guns Forum banner

Recommendations for CC - M&P Shield

15K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  wilzd00d 
#1 ·
Thanks to everyone who chimed in on my question about carrying in school.

I'm new to this concealed carry thing. I'm more comfortable with an M-4 slung across my chest and a sidearm strapped to my thigh.

I own a M&P 40 full size, and I find it's almost impossible to conceal, even with my new King Tuck. So I went to the gun store and looked over everything they had. I'm drawn to the M&P Shield in .40, even though it's only a 7-round magazine, because it seems like it would be easy to conceal, but with the 7-round magazine I can get my full hand on the grip (something that's important for me).

So any pros or cons on the Shield, or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Its a great gun. My wife carries one in 9mm every day and loves it. If you want a 40 i'm not even sure what others their are that compare in size. The XDs is very similar but as far as I know only come is 9 and 45. If your not stuck on 40 then there are many 9mm options in that same general size including the Glock 43, Sig P938, Kahr CM9/PM9, Ruger LC9......

#3 ·
I have the Shield in both 9mm and .40S&W. They're great for concealed-carry, especially when something a little more discrete is desirable. The .40S&W has a bit more "bite" to it compared to the 9mm, but still very controllable. I've got a few thousand rounds through both with no issues at all. As D-FIN pointed out, there's some great alternatives so it boils down to personal preference. I also own the full-size M&P's in 9mm and .40S&W and the full-size is still my main carry with few exceptions.

#5 ·
The Shield is a great little gun. I had one for a while. My friend has an XDS and I shot that quite a bit. I found that I was way more accurate with the XDS. So I sold the Shield and snagged an XDS. I carry it every day and it's awesome.

With a Shield in .40, you could probably find them on Utah Gun Exchange. A while back I saw a ton of them on there. Most of them had 50 or less rounds through them.

My guess is that people think they "need a .40 because a 9mm is lame". Then they take it to the range and realize that the .40 is painful to shoot in a little gun like the Shield. I see the same thing with the .45 XDS.

I would highly suggest going to a local range and spend a few bucks and test them out first. See which you like, and buy that one.

Sent from iSnurd

#8 ·
I also preferred the xds over the shield for accuracy and feel. But after a while I hated that the way I grip my firearms high and tight it would prevent the slide from locking back on the last round. This due to a part of my hand resting on the slide release. I sold the firearm and went with a M&P compact. The nice option about the compact is you could still use the mags you already have if you felt like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#9 ·
I carry the M&P 9 compact and my wife carries the Shield. Both have been great for us. I like the compact a little bit better just because it feels a little bit beefier and I like the higher round count, but either one has been great. I think Smith & Wesson just came out with a ported shield which looks pretty awesome.

Btw, if you want to go with an M-4 (well probably an AR-15 since you're a civilian now) slung across your chest and a sidearm strapped to your thigh, that's cool too. Open carry is cool in my book. :patriot:

#12 ·
While I don't think a ported Shield would be a good choice for concealed carry, it sure does sound like a fun edition to the Performance Center offerings. I might have to break open the piggy bank and see how many pennies, nickels and dimes I have in there.

#13 ·
Snurd said:
If you don't mind spending a couple extra bucks and are getting the Shield, I noticed recently that they came out with a Performance Center version. Fiber optic sights, and a ported barrel.

Linkarooskie

Sent from iSnurd
If the wife sees this then we have a shield 9 for sale.

#15 ·
I use a Shield 9mm for my carry gun and it is very comfortable to carry. With the extended magazine, it allows a full hand grip and is quite controllable. The flush magazine, not so much. Even my wife, who has small hands, prefers the extended mag grip. I will say that hot loads in the Shield are quite snappy, even in the 9mm. I actually load down for the Shield compared to what I load for my full size 9mm. I haven't shot the Shield in 40, but I would think recoil would be quite snappy. But hey, if that's what you are used to, then all the power to you.

I totally agree on the "go to the range and try one first" though. I've found, especially with small handguns, that comfort and enjoyment are very subjective and individualized. Good luck!

#16 ·
I have had my shield (9mm) for almost 2 years and love it, I think it is much more comfortable to carry and shoot than anything else I have tried in a similar price range. That being said, if I wasn't on a budget the Kimber Solo is a very nice little gun to shoot and even more concealable than the shield. So far it is the only handgun I have tried that I like better than my shield. I actually did not think that the shield was bad to shoot in the 40 either, I certainly like it more than several of the other guns I have shot. For me it comes down to how well it fits in my hand and if the force is directed up my arm because of a proper fit, or if the force is directed into my arthritic thumb joints.

No need to text me Snurd, I actually saw the ported shield before D-FIN did and sadly, but rather quickly ruled it out as a viable option for carry. I have enough issues with lint in my holster (and firearm) that I don't need more places for it to get stuck. :)

#17 ·
jfwright1955 said:
While I don't think a ported Shield would be a good choice for concealed carry, it sure does sound like a fun edition to the Performance Center offerings. I might have to break open the piggy bank and see how many pennies, nickels and dimes I have in there.
The ported .40 looks like a rather nice choice. Aside from the extra dollars, why do you think it's not a good choice for concealed carry?

#20 ·
Suggestion: AIWB. I've been carrying my M&P9 full-size in a Custom Carry Concepts Gestalt IWB holster for about a month now. The holster is convertible and can be carried appendix-in-waistband or strong-side. It's very comfortable, especially since I added a gel shoe insert as a wedge (Google "AIWB life hack"). You may find it works quite well for you.

#21 ·
J_dazzle23 said:
Something ported could be a lint-magnet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The regular shield is a lint magnet as is pretty much any gun carried daily and never taken out of the holster. Clean it once a week and your fine.

#22 ·
D-FIN said:
The regular shield is a lint magnet as is pretty much any gun carried daily and never taken out of the holster. Clean it once a week and your fine.
I'll back that up, based on my experience. It's surprising how much lint builds up in a carry gun when you don't get to the range very often.

#23 ·
I love my shield 9. It is by far the best carry gun that I've had, and I've tried quite a few. The thin frame does a lot to make it more comfortable to carry vs a double stack of similar size. The recoil is quite managable. It feels and shoots very similar, and almost as good as, my full size m&p. It just feels right in my hand. It also fits reasonably well into my custom leather holster for my m&p.

That is my 2 cents. Take it for what it is worth.

#26 ·
Snurd said:
My guess is that people think they "need a .40 because a 9mm is lame". Then they take it to the range and realize that the .40 is painful to shoot in a little gun like the Shield. I see the same thing with the .45 XDS.
I agree, my 27 was painful. Yes I was quite accurate with it, but I just did not enjoy the weapon. The 45 in the same frame was much more enjoyable. The 40 was just to zippy for that frame for my preference. The same in the Glock 26 or 30 was quite nice.

Maybe its just me :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.