Utah Guns Forum banner

Conceal Carry Suggestions - Advice Sought

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  D-FIN 
#1 ·
Hello UCC,

It's been a long time since I've been on here, but I'm looking for some advice.

Way back when, I used to OBC my Sig 226 with a Ruger LCP as a backup. The LCP was horrendous, and I ended up selling it.

I don't really want to go back to OBC. I have a wife and kid (with a second on the way), and frankly, I find myself toting all kinds of other crap. An additional bag is one more thing to be forgotten or lost.

I have been looking at small 9mm pistols for a while. I had really been hoping that I'd like the Sig P938, but as much as I want to like it, I don't. I simply don't want to learn something that is different mechanically than my 226. I looked at a Glock 43, which I actually liked a great deal, but am not fully sold on (I have an anti-glock bias I'm working through).

I've looked at the Nano and it's awkward and too big. The XDS grips feel too narrow. The Shield also has a safety.

Is there something else I should be looking at? Or am I just being picky?

A big about me: I'm 6'1, 220 lbs. I dress for warm weather 90% of the time.

See less See more
#3 ·
There is a Shield that doesn't have the thumb safety. I had a Shield that had the safety, and never once used it while carrying. The only time I ever used it was to see how stiff it was.

I carry an XDS pretty much every day and love it. I put the rubber Talon Grips on it and that improved it even more. If you don't like how thin the XDS is, I don't see why you would like the Glock 43. The 43 is only about a tenth of a inch wider. The XDS also holds more ammo.

The LC9 will probably be a lot like the LCP, in that it has a long trigger pull. You could try the LC9S, which is the striker fired version. I've heard the trigger is much better on that one.

If you dress for cold weather most of the time, you would easily be able to conceal your P226 in an IWB holster. In fact, even wearing summer apparel, it can be done easily.

If you want something more like your Sig, try the P239. Then it will be almost identical to your P226, just a single stack and smaller.

Smith & Wesson has a smaller double stack, the M&P9c. There is also the Glock 26.

My advice would be to go to a local range and test a few out and buy the one that fits you well, and is comfortable in your hands.

I didn't used to like Glocks either. Now one of my favorite guns is the Glock 19.

Sent from iSnurd

#4 ·
Snurd said:
There is a Shield that doesn't have the thumb safety. I had a Shield that had the safety, and never once used it while carrying. The only time I ever used it was to see how stiff it was.

I carry an XDS pretty much every day and love it. I put the rubber Talon Grips on it and that improved it even more. If you don't like how thin the XDS is, I don't see why you would like the Glock 43. The 43 is only about a tenth of a inch wider. The XDS also holds more ammo.

The LC9 will probably be a lot like the LCP, in that it has a long trigger pull. You could try the LC9S, which is the striker fired version. I've heard the trigger is much better on that one.

If you dress for cold weather most of the time, you would easily be able to conceal your P226 in an IWB holster. In fact, even wearing summer apparel, it can be done easily.

If you want something more like your Sig, try the P239. Then it will be almost identical to your P226, just a single stack and smaller.

Smith & Wesson has a smaller double stack, the M&P9c. There is also the Glock 26.

My advice would be to go to a local range and test a few out and buy the one that fits you well, and is comfortable in your hands.

I didn't used to like Glocks either. Now one of my favorite guns is the Glock 19.

Sent from iSnurd
What the Glock? We've lost another one to the dark side.

#5 ·
I'll +1 the the idea of getting the Shield minus the thumb safety. I purchased one last month, loving it so far. I've yet to carry it, still waiting on a holster to arrive. :( I've never actually carried anything smaller than a full size, so this will be interesting.

#6 ·
Hi wicked chicken --

What would be your most preferred method of carrying?

I've carried various firearms over the years, using various method and various holsters. Right now, I've settled down to grabbing either a GLOCK 43 (9mm) if I'm wearing a holster, or a S&W 340PD revolver (.357 Magnum) if I am wearing 5.11 cargo pants. The 5.11 tactical pants have two little sort of pockets in the cargo pocket, which makes for a nice mini-holster. The revolver goes in there nicely, but I don't trust myself with a semi-auto to do that so I use a Kydex trigger holster on the GLOCK 43 when I carry it in the pocket. I've even put a little loop in one pair of pants so I can put the string from the Kydex holster through it -- when I draw the gun straight up (like I'm supposed to do anyway) the gun comes out of the trigger guard holster quite nicely.

The S&W 340PD is really expensive, and is NO FUN AT ALL to shoot. I practice with it's Airweight .38 special cousin, and shoot enough .357 Magnum self-defense loads through the 340PD to be confident with it. The thing hurts to shoot -- kinda feels like hitting a concrete pillar with an aluminum baseball bat. That said - it is super lightweight and easy to grab and go.

I'd rather have eight rounds of 9mm than five rounds of .357 Magnum, but the first rule of a gunfight is "bring a gun" (and the zeroeth rule of a gunfight is "don't go to a gunfight").

#7 ·
The Ruger LCP in .380 is small, light weight, and in a pocket holster in the front jeans pocket makes a lightweight easy carry. 7 rounds of .380. Ya, I know, you couldn't hit a barn door at 50 paces, but if we ever need a gun for self defense, the problem is apt to be very close. Just point in the general direction and cut loose will likely get the job done.

#10 ·
I second the Shield the manual safety on it is there to appease those who feel they mush have one. It has all the same basic internal safeties as the Glock. And like others said you can get one that doe snot have the manual safety. Also like others said you should be able to conceal the 226 without much effort. If you need to really deep conceal for work or something then I can understand wanting a single 9 but the good thing is there are many options out there that are reputable ones.

Not in any particular order.

M&P Shield
Ruger LC9s
Berretta Nano
Taurus 709 SLIM
Kel-Tec PF-9
Khar PM9 - CM9
Kimber Solo
Sig P938
Sig P239
Glock 43
Sig P290RS
Springfield XDs
Walther PPS
Bersa BP9CC
Walther CCP
SCCY CPX-2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.