Utah Guns Forum banner

Required to carry your permit?

15K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  bagpiper 
#1 ·
The instructor just said the permit must be on hand if you are carrying. Did something change and I not hear about it?

#8 ·
As others have noted, there is nothing in Utah State law requiring you to carry your permit on your person. If an officer has questions he can call in to verify you have a permit.

That said, I don't go farther than my own back yard without some kind of ID on me. If I get hit by a car, have a heart attack, or otherwise get incapacitated, it is way better to have ID than not. Anywhere I need to carry my DL, my permit slips in behind it with zero problem. Anyplace I don't need my license, but want an ID, my permit is my favored ID to carry. It is a lot less hassle and slightly less costly to get a permit replaced ($10 and a one page mail in or on line form) than to replace a lost Utah DL ($18, an in person visit to the DMV, a 1 page application, 1 document proving ID, 2 documents proving Utah residency, plus 1 document proving SS number). On top of that, while I'm waiting for a replacement permit to arrive, I can still technically legally carry since I don't have to have the permit on me.

My carry permit is my ID of choice if I am only going to carry one item of ID. If I'm carrying more than one item, it goes along unobtrusively enough.

Charles

#9 ·
A slight bit off topic but related; while not required, I carry my Utah CFP all the time as well as my Idaho Enhanced Concealed Weapons License so I have them just in case. We venture to Idaho and Nevada on occasions and I know on the back of at least the Idaho permit it states, "Failure to carry license when you carry a concealed weapon may result in your arrest". Without digging into the Idaho laws I'd have to wonder if that would also be true of having your Utah CFP on your person while conceal carrying in the state? Dunno.

Not sure about Nevada's requirements, but a moot issue for me as I always have my Enhanced Idaho Permit with me on those trips. I just don't want to end up on the wrong side of the bars because I don't have my permits with me while I'm carrying out-of-state if I'm pulled over.

Bottom line, if you're heading out-of-state, know the laws of your destination(s).

#12 ·
IANAL

Law doesn't require you to carry it, but if an officer needs to prove you have it, expect your delay to be lengthened while the checking is carried out.

#14 ·
As others have pointed out, even though Utah doesn't require the Utah permit to be carried on your person while carrying a gun, other States may require possession of the permit while carrying. Know the laws of the State where you are traveling.

Similarly, while I don't think Utah law requires possession of an out-of-State permit, a Utah LEO's ability to check that such a permit has been issued is going to be much less than his ability to check the status of a Utah permit. So while you might "beat the rap" on carrying concealed pursuant to another State's permit, carrying the permit will help avoid "the ride".

Additionally, I have found the permit is a good, safe way to inform an officer I am carrying when I think it a good idea to inform. Not much chance for an officer to misunderstand something I say if I simply hand him a permit.

But again, no requirement in Utah law to have your permit on your person while carrying.

Charles

#15 ·
Yes, I know all of that folks. I know it comes up when pulling the info. I've been around the block a few times. I was verifying that nothing had changed despite the word of the instructor, whom I did correct.

#16 ·
UtahCFP said:
IANAL

Law doesn't require you to carry it, but if an officer needs to prove you have it, expect your delay to be lengthened while the checking is carried out.
Can I change YOUR "needs" to "wants".... as that would seem to be the case much more frequently IMO.

#17 ·
JoeSparky said:
UtahCFP said:
IANAL

Can I change YOUR "needs" to "wants".... as that would seem to be the case much more frequently IMO.
Hmmm.... kinda the same thing to me. If the officer feels he/she "wants" to verify, then in my mind they think they "need" to. I guess what you are saying is there isn't anything that requires the officer to verify it -- which is correct.

#21 ·
UCChris said:
As someone who conceal carries under the age of 21 with the authority of a Maine permit, I keep my permit on me at all times in case an officer has a question about why I'm concealing and not yet 21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I lived in Maine for 6 years.. Miss that place.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

#22 ·
When I took my CCW class last month, nothing was covered about having to absolutely have the permit on us at all times, but it was recommended that if pulled over, no matter if armed or not at that point, to let the officer know that you do have the permit and whether or not you are carrying in order to reduce heartburn on the officers part when they run your license.

Of course it's purely voluntary to do it, but it was said that it'll help the stop go a bit smoother.

#23 ·
Bill801 said:
When I took my CCW class last month, nothing was covered about having to absolutely have the permit on us at all times, but it was recommended that if pulled over, no matter if armed or not at that point, to let the officer know that you do have the permit and whether or not you are carrying in order to reduce heartburn on the officers part when they run your license.

Of course it's purely voluntary to do it, but it was said that it'll help the stop go a bit smoother.
Regarding the last portion of your last sentence.... MAYBE!

#24 ·
What if you, (nobody in particular), were carrying a concealed firearm but didn't have a permit as it is not required. Would you inform the officer? If not, then why do so when you have a permit?

Having said that, if you were asked if you had a firearm in the car and you did, would you say yes? Can you be compelled to answer that question if you've done nothing wrong? Wouldn't that effectively be a search at that point?

As far as making an officer less nervous, shouldn't the officer just assume that everybody has a firearm in the car with them?

#25 ·
althor said:
What if you, (nobody in particular), were carrying a concealed firearm but didn't have a permit as it is not required. Would you inform the officer? If not, then why do so when you have a permit?

Having said that, if you were asked if you had a firearm in the car and you did, would you say yes? Can you be compelled to answer that question if you've done nothing wrong? Wouldn't that effectively be a search at that point?

As far as making an officer less nervous, shouldn't the officer just assume that everybody has a firearm in the car with them?
The issuance of a permit IS required but there is no requirement in Utah law to carry same when exercising the privilege to conceal. I regard to vehicle carry UNLESS one is 18 years or older and either is in lawful possession of the vehicle they are operating OR have permission form the individual operating the car who also has lawful possession of the vehicle there is NO Requirement to even have a permit issued to you. I will never provide any information that i am not required to offer/present.

If you are asking: for those that OC and have a permit, why? To be able to carry fully loaded (one in the pipe) and eliminating the federally mandated 1000 foot and state prohibition of carry in the various buildings of a school VICTIM RICH CRIMINAL SAFETY ZONES!

#26 ·
Pulled over? Hmmmm, all I can say is that if you watch it and try to obey the rules and speed limit, you ain't likely to get pulled over. I can't remember getting pulled over ever. Ya, now and then there is a spot check where everyone gets stopped, but usually they are just looking for up to date plates and inspections. Maybe check your driver's license? You know they have to do something now and then just to let us know they are there? :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.