Utah Guns Forum banner

First full day of carrying concealed:Personal observations.

7K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  steelhawk 
#1 ·
As the title states, today was my first full day of being out about while carrying concealed! :D

As I didn't have an IWB holster for my 1911 Combat Government, I hit up a few local gun stores. Ended up with a Sticky Holster bought at Red Dot in Layton.

Side note: 6'0, 160ish. A bit slender...oh what the heck. I'm skinny!

Wore the setup around the house for a while. Standing, moving, sitting in various positions. I decided the best carry position for me is at 4:00.

Off to Smiths in Sunset with the Better Half I go.

I was fairly confident walking around the store. Reaching for things high and low weren't too much of an issue. The holster did shift a bit, but nothing alarming. I corrected it when we got back in the car, as that particular rig doesn't like riding at a cant of any degree on my body style: straight draw or nothing with this get-up.

Also I learned exactly how horribly my pants really fit. That'll get changed out ASAP.

Beyond what I already said, not too bad for a first day!

:thumbsup:

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks guys for the congrats and encouragement.

I figured out why the holster was shifting around like it was.

A bit of trial and error, plus watching a few YT videos clued me in to the fact that I was simply wearing it wrong! It's not meant to be "tuckable", and I had it between my t-shirt and my pants...a huge no-no for this type of holster design. It wasn't the holster that was moving per-se, it was simply adjusting itself as my t-shirt moved.

Been wearing it now correctly for a few hours as I go about my daily routine, and it's not slipped a bit, no matter how I position it (within reason, of course).

#7 ·
UtahCFP said:
Smiths?!?

Didn't anyone tell you the traditional first carry experience should be at Walmart?

;)
Eh, did the Wally Walk years ago for my first time OCing in Fallon, NV.

Even upped the exposure level by going during the middle of the day just after the beginning of the month!

Didn't use the bingo card, though.:D

#8 ·
You can't go wrong by getting a sticky holster for it. They are handy to have even once get a more dedicated IWB for it later. I still use my first sticky holster even if just cover trigger of the gun if put on my desk or headboard. I also use it when traveling in hotel rooms and such. If you have to keep it in a safe or other locked location and you don't want to keep in the regular IWB your wear every day then the sticky holster is great to keep the trigger safe when you put away loaded.

#9 ·
Awesome thread. I did the same thing when I got my cfp. Stand up, sit down, move around. I tried an IWB, but wasn't comfortable in it and couldn't see myself wearing something like that. A friend of mine showed me his serpa holster and how he wears it, and I tried it. It felt comfortable to me, especially since I wear baggy collared shirts and a vest over. But I know, everyone has their personal style and comfort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.