Out of state cop visiting

Discuss issues regarding concealed carry.

Out of state cop visiting

Postby mljdeckard » Tue 26 Jan 2016 11:00 pm

I am in a class with an out of state cop (he's from Florida) who is here on non-official business. Can he carry with his badge, or does he need a permit?
"Mindset, skillset, toolset. In THAT order!!"
Sinister Duck Tactical
I will teach CWP classes in your home or business
call or txt 801-560-2223
[email protected]
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue 09 Jul 2013 9:50 am
Location: Stansbury Park, UT

Re: Out of state cop visiting

Postby UtahJarhead » Wed 27 Jan 2016 8:08 am


The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) is a United States federal law, enacted in 2004, that allows two classes of persons - the "qualified law enforcement officer" and the "qualified retired or separated law enforcement officer" - to carry a concealed firearm in any jurisdiction in the United States or United States Territories, regardless of state or local laws, with certain exceptions.

If a person meets the criteria, "notwithstanding any provisions of the law of any state or any political subdivision thereof" he or she may carry a concealed firearm in that state or political subdivision. An individual who qualifies under LEOSA does not require a state-issued permit to carry a concealed firearm.

The privilege specifically does not extend to machine guns, destructive devices, or silencers.

Notice there is no mention of "official duties". This actually extends to retired and former law enforcement, as well.
DO NOT talk to cops! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle Instructor
Cub Master
Art Scheel
User avatar
Top Shot
Posts: 6570
Joined: Thu 24 Sep 2009 12:33 pm
Location: Ogden, UT

Return to Concealed Carry

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests